PDA

View Full Version : Carrier bearings replacement

250r_86
08-18-2009, 03:45 PM
I've have a RAD carrier on my 250r and i need to replace the bearings....whats the best way to get the bearings out?....I read somewhere that you can get them at an auto parts store?

cdrookie
08-19-2009, 08:44 AM
beat the bearings out with a long punch, a little heat on the carrier could help. a bearing supply store will have the bearings and maybe the seals, but i get them off ebay. i think it's "racergirlsrock" or something like that, who i buy all my bearings from. they ship fast and are cheap.

deathman53
08-19-2009, 11:13 AM
This I how I did them. Heat the center of the carrier, several inches away and spin it around alot, never heat the same area. You will see some grease boil and ooze out bearings. Put the carrier on a block of wood and it takes a light tap to knock the bearings out, I use a broken swingarm bolt. Before you do this if you have the replacement bearings, put them in the freezer for atleast 2 hours. Once you knocked out the bearings, quick clean the surface with a rag and heat it back up. Then run the freezer get the bearings, they should drop right in, don't forget the center tube. You will need to hold them in with a large enough socket, as the heat and cooling will try to force the bearings out. It sounds hard, but after you did 2, its easy. If you have a crappy oven or a small toaster oven(not the one in the kitchen), it will be safer to put the carrier in that. Some use a hot plate also. When its cooled down and settled in, put grease on the seals and inside the carrier and push them in. The last time I got bearings from "racergirl" they were sealed on both sides, you don't need to pump grease in the carrier with them. Most new carriers are the same w/o grease fitting.

250r_86
08-20-2009, 10:46 PM
I ended up using a long punch and pounding them out....they weren't as bad as i thought they would be....yea i ordered the new ones from "racergirl" too....so you don't grease the carrier at all?....i know the bearings are sealed but at least it would keep the water out of there and keep it from rusting everything else up?

86 Quad R
08-20-2009, 10:49 PM
yea i always apply a good coat of grease between the axle and sleeve for safe measures. :cool:

deathman53
08-20-2009, 10:57 PM
I don't pump grease in them, I do put grease on the axle. Anti-seize on the carrier outside, anti-seize inside the swingarm, anti-seize on the threads of anti-fade, as well on the hub & anti-fade splines. The axle end nuts get grease or anti-seize. Putting things together dry is how rust develops and/or corrosion. Every bolt gets anti-seize or loctite. I've had my fair share of broken and hard to remove bolts.

All250R
08-21-2009, 12:00 PM
Just remember that your torque values are different when you lubricate the threads being torqued.

250r_86
08-22-2009, 12:07 AM
Yea i've broken plenty of bolts off that are seized up....the torch is my best friend....i'm a diesel mechanic in northern wisconsin....sometimes in winter i think there's more salt on the road than snow....it's ridiculous....thanks for the info