PDA

View Full Version : grinding down header welds?

J.J.
08-18-2009, 02:59 PM
which welds exactly do you grind down? is it worth the hassle?

bigbad400
08-18-2009, 03:07 PM
the welds on the inside of the header right at the motor. i thought the same as you kinda skeptical, but it does give a noticeable feel in response time. not like its hard to take the exhaust off. just use a dremel with a good grinder bit, or a air grinder. make sure you get all the little metal dusts out of the pipe, it took me like 25 minutes to do it start to finish.

bigbad400
08-18-2009, 03:14 PM
you can sure tell a mechanically inclined person from a not so mechanical person on here, it takes minutes to take off the exhaust and the crush gaskets are like $1.00 each, if you do this mod with the airbox mods and removing the choke, you'll really notice some response time.

Ryanwolfe911
08-18-2009, 05:54 PM
Yeah wow lol. It's not that hard to remove the head pipe. And an air powered die grinder with a fluted bit will make quick work of them. FWIW, Ive reused my crush washers about 5 times now with no issues.

dariusld
08-18-2009, 07:14 PM
I liked when he used the term "spot welds".

I don't know if it made a difference or not, but it didn't take much effort.

sickmojave
08-18-2009, 07:47 PM
Yeah it's really easy to do.:)

J.J.
08-18-2009, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by bigbad400
you can sure tell a mechanically inclined person from a not so mechanical person on here, it takes minutes to take off the exhaust and the crush gaskets are like $1.00 each, if you do this mod with the airbox mods and removing the choke, you'll really notice some response time.

eh? i'm very mechanically inclined; however, this is my first quad.. i didnt ask how to take the header off.. i'm not a moron.. i was simply asking what all welds needed to be ground down and if it was worth the hassle..

Ryanwolfe911
08-18-2009, 08:21 PM
They are the welds just inside of the flange on the head pipe. Grind them down until they are flush with the pipe. Don't go too far though.

VTredneckgames
08-19-2009, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by J.J.
eh? i'm very mechanically inclined; however, this is my first quad.. i didnt ask how to take the header off.. i'm not a moron.. i was simply asking what all welds needed to be ground down and if it was worth the hassle..

pretty sure they werent talking about you buddy. You asked a very good question. I was wondering the same thing. They are talking about the guy that acted like it was super hard to do. It looks like his post was deleted.

Go for it and when you do, let me know if you feel any difference.

Brad

bigbad400
08-19-2009, 06:48 AM
yeah dude i wasnt talking about you the guys post was right befor mine, its bean deleted, he said it was hard and such, because the headpipe was a "pain" to remove. so he says. lol this is a simple upgrade, and its basicaly free, if you feel like doing it then its worth it. the guy made it sound like doing a crank or something!

h400exrydr
08-19-2009, 08:39 AM
anybody have a picture of it? like a before and after?

dariusld
08-19-2009, 09:50 AM
Not my picture, found it here.

J.J.
08-19-2009, 09:58 AM
thanks for the picture.. i might as well do it while i have the header off..

i sold my sparks setup to go another route with just a slip on, and i would be pulling the header to sand and polish so i'll do this at the same time.