PDA

View Full Version : chain and sprockets?

maticus
08-18-2009, 02:49 PM
im thinking its about time i get a new chain, mine is looking pretty haggred. ive read somewhere that one of the chain styles actually gives you alittle exrta hp. just wanting some opinions.
or is the ebay chain and sprocket combo the way to go?

Scro
08-18-2009, 02:59 PM
I would stick with a chain designed for atv's. They have a little higher tensile strength because of the added weight of the quad. I've had good luck out of Regina and DID. I believe DID claims their X-ring chain gains, but it's more than likely just a sales gimmick. If it does give any gains, you aren't going to notice it.

08-18-2009, 03:00 PM
chain and sprockets will not give you more hp...they can change your gearing to give you more top end(with loss to bottom end) or more bottom end(with loss to top end)...

Scro
08-18-2009, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
chain and sprockets will not give you more hp...they can change your gearing to give you more top end(with loss to bottom end) or more bottom end(with loss to top end)...

The claim is with an X-ring chain, there is less resistance between the links, compared to an O-ring chain. But again it's just a claim.:p

exrider12
08-18-2009, 06:35 PM
A non oring chain will give you about .5 hp. Less rotating mass.

racerx573
08-18-2009, 07:55 PM
I always ran the DID X or O-Rings.

Steer clear of the ebay kits, they're great for the recreational rider who is not very hard on their equipment, but for racing... I ran those things when I was a "budget" racer, but after a while you'll realize some things cost more for a reason, especially after you snap a few chains and blow out your engine cases, or blow out bearing carriers when you land a 75 foot triple 4th tapped.

pro-rider46
08-18-2009, 08:12 PM
yeah chains are something to skimp on.

i used to have a stock o ring chain, and when i switched to a non o ring chain, i could tell it felt a tiny bit quicker, now i have a heavy o ring chain. but oh well.

08-19-2009, 07:13 AM
i have run an x ring chain and id didn't notice anything...i didn't buy it because it was supposed to give more hp, i bought it because it was supposed to hold in the lube better...

maticus
08-19-2009, 07:42 AM
yeah i know its not going to give me magical hp but i think their point was that it was less friction so it didnt hold back as much power...... so should i go o-ring or non o-ring? and should i replace my sprockets even if they are still in good shape or can it wait?

08-19-2009, 07:56 AM
ALWAYS replace sprockets and chain as a set...they "wear into" each other

i would always go with at least an o-ring chain