PDA

View Full Version : Skull Taillight

Fayettevillin
08-18-2009, 02:23 PM
SUP im new to the whole quad scene soo im tryin to learn diff stuff im all about custom and making it your own well heres my first mod.. i thought the stock light was plain jain so i installed this 1 lemie kno what u think!

08-18-2009, 02:56 PM
if you made it, good work, but other than that...it's kinda gay

81-Honda-04
08-18-2009, 05:23 PM
idk.. not much of a tail light anymore..

mcgrath
08-18-2009, 05:34 PM
its kind of a neat idea but not very good fit and finish.

Snipe
08-18-2009, 05:48 PM
Pretty cool on doing your own thing. If the subframe was powder coated I think it would look better.

But cool idea on makin it your own.

Ryanwolfe911
08-18-2009, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
if you made it, good work, but other than that...it's kinda gay
Yeah +1. Gay. Looks like something you found in the Auto Zone discount bin. No offense.

Pipeless416
08-18-2009, 06:08 PM
man some of you guys are a holes. fayettevillin, don't let a couple of d bags ruin it for you on this site. they seem to be multiplying. anyway, pm me in a month.. im at school, but i have some tire valve caps laying around that are identical to your tail light. you can just have them assuming im able to find them.

Ryanwolfe911
08-18-2009, 06:27 PM
The guy who used a CBR 600 LED tailight really made a good decision though. That looked freakin awsome and it was highly funtional as well.

yellow02400ex
08-19-2009, 12:05 AM
man to each there own. Looks good but I think it would look better if the back piece or bracket was alot smaller. So the skull just looks like its flooting there you know what I mean? Maybe make it smaller and paint it black.

matt14c
08-19-2009, 01:15 AM
Wow way to welcome a new member.

:huh
Speedyquad
Ryanwolfe911

What you did was +10 Gay! If he did it and likes it then to each there own exactly. Not exactly my cup of tea either but wouldnt write a post and tell someone what they did was gay!!!??? Just skip over it and not say anything go to the next post.

Welcome to the site Fayettevillin.

NacsMXer
08-19-2009, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by matt14c
Wow way to welcome a new member.

Speedyquad
Ryanwolfe911

What you did was +10 Gay! If he did it and likes it then to each there own exactly. Not exactly my cup of tea either but wouldnt write a post and tell someone what they did was gay!!!??? Just skip over it and not say anything go to the next post.

Welcome to the site Fayettevillin.

X2

Welcome to the site! :macho

Not really my thing either, but I respect your creativity and originality on that. Can't say i've ever seen anyone do something like that before....at least it's unique.

Ryanwolfe911
08-19-2009, 05:45 AM
COme on guys, it was just a little constructive criticism. I don't mean anything personal by it. He asked for an opinion, and I gave one. WHen you ask for an opinion on something, you can't expect all of them to be in your favor.

08-19-2009, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by Ryanwolfe911
COme on guys, it was just a little constructive criticism. I don't mean anything personal by it. He asked for an opinion, and I gave one. WHen you ask for an opinion on something, you can't expect all of them to be in your favor.

exactly...

and like i care what any one else thinks of my post...if i did i would say...let me know what you think of my post...but i didn't...

and to be honest...i could have really torn it up...that was the nice version...

smelly$cat
08-19-2009, 09:20 AM
Just posting to subscribe to this one. I like where this one is going.

:bandit: :bandit: :bandit:

riotact
08-19-2009, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by speedyquad
exactly...

and like i care what any one else thinks of my post...if i did i would say...let me know what you think of my post...but i didn't...

and to be honest...i could have really torn it up...that was the nice version...

Tell us how you really feel about it then :huh :huh :huh

ngates788
08-19-2009, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by smelly$cat
Just posting to subscribe to this one. I like where this one is going.

:bandit: :bandit: :bandit:

X2 hahaha

Snipe
08-19-2009, 03:09 PM
Good lord, imature kids and imature bs atitudes.

Dude screw them, if you like it then F everyone els. Its your fourwheeler, not there's love what you ride and ride what you love. Keep up the work, its ppl who do custome work that has the coolest looking bikes and not just another clone ex just like everyone els's.

smelly$cat
08-19-2009, 03:12 PM
I've been staring at this more.

I like it. Nice work.

Would be cool on a Polaris Outlaw too since they have skull graphics stock.

bean2080
08-19-2009, 03:32 PM
i have that same skull on my truck hitch :p i dont know if you would be interested in drilling a hole in your air box and putting it on there but i think it would look cool there too. it would be more flush back there while riding some wheelies i have bent the brackets you have it bolted on so there might be a chance that the skull would catch and get tore off. cool idea though, never thought about putting it on a quad.

katch26
08-19-2009, 04:05 PM
its not my cup of tea but cool in its own right....IMO it would look a million times better with the top of the bracket flush with the grab bar. The grap bar would block more of it but it would look more in place and less of an afterthought.

Snipe
08-19-2009, 04:44 PM
Be carefull in the grass. I have drug my taillight cover off riding a wheelie in grass lol.

Fayettevillin
08-19-2009, 04:50 PM
lol if u hate it its ok we did this kinda in a hurry at work its a piece of aluminum flat bar and it was a truck hitch... its all bent and broken now from draging doin a wheelie!! but being the welder i am easy fix.. to me every 1 has the same bike.. same nerfs..same bumpers i mean what makes yours different from his?? thats what i try to do bring sumthing new to the table i love all critisim cuz all ur gunna do is tell some 1 else to look giving me exposure but anyways im thinkings of adding bmw angel eyes to the front..custom making my own nerf bars.. i just made a stainless rear bumper for my friends grizzly, what makes it unique i think is that it holds air so we can pump up a flat if needed.. i used to have that on my jeep and i told him i think it would be cool to put on his grizzly.. but yea i dont mind gettin flamed..if all works well im tryin to land my hands on a cbr1000 and custom install it to a 400ex my trx1000xx lol

smelly$cat
08-19-2009, 04:55 PM
"if all works well im tryin to land my hands on a cbr1000 and custom install it to a 400ex my trx1000xx lol"

Now we're talkin :)

I saw and hung out with a yamaha R1 powered Banshee down at the Oregon dunes a couple years ago.

This was no hack job either. It was absolutely beautiful and done to the hilt.

It sounded like nothing else on the dunes (obviously). Sounded like a straight up street bike in a quad (think about it for a moment, it was really cool) He was punishing everyone in the drag races (again, obviously). Very cool.

Gave me a semi.

bergoff
08-19-2009, 05:44 PM
i worked for a farmer that had pulling quads that were awesome. we talked him into installing a gsxr750 into a quadracer 500 frame. that thing was insane. you couldnt jump it casue it was so heavy but it was a blast to ride in the bean fields after they were picked. i wish that i had pics. it was totally sick. i would like to install a xr650l motor in my 400 when it goes. that would be fun.

Pipeless416
08-19-2009, 08:45 PM
i think cutting the sides down would look good... kinda like this.

JOHNNYRENO
08-19-2009, 11:31 PM
IMG]http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/vv118/srcnv/wcccfl008.jpg[/IMG] heres my custom work dude thats hardly custom, wtf r u thinking

Pipeless416
08-19-2009, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by JOHNNYRENO
IMG]http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/vv118/srcnv/wcccfl008.jpg[/IMG] heres my custom work dude thats hardly custom, wtf r u thinking

douche #2

JOHNNYRENO
08-19-2009, 11:37 PM

JOHNNYRENO
08-19-2009, 11:38 PM

JOHNNYRENO
08-19-2009, 11:39 PM

JOHNNYRENO
08-19-2009, 11:42 PM
thats 145 cubic inch engine with 171 hp nice burnouts and does a great wheelie too. hhheeee heeee thats custom

Pipeless416
08-19-2009, 11:43 PM

Fayettevillin
08-20-2009, 12:05 AM
wtf is custom about that thats 1 of those some assembly required choppers hahaaha dont even try and play me ive welded at least 35 choppers for my super's or foremans!

smelly$cat
08-20-2009, 09:09 AM
That does look good.

Originally posted by Pipeless416
i think cutting the sides down would look good... kinda like this.

smelly$cat
08-20-2009, 09:12 AM
Ha! I'm beginning to like you a lot! lol

Originally posted by Fayettevillin
wtf is custom about that thats 1 of those some assembly required choppers hahaaha dont even try and play me ive welded at least 35 choppers for my super's or foremans!

Jessem24
08-20-2009, 11:33 AM
yea and those "choppers" look like chit. harley or nothing. dont be an A**HOLE mr Johnnyreno :rolleyes:

Ryanwolfe911
08-20-2009, 04:47 PM
I like choppers, but the bobber style. I don't care for that really long raked out front end. They have the turning radius of a Mack truck.

wrekd
08-20-2009, 05:19 PM
thats 145 cubic inch engine with 171 hp nice burnouts and does a great wheelie too. hhheeee heeee thats custom

Yeah, real custom :rolleyes:

http://bluetorchfab.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=27

Any idiot could buy a gusset and weld it in. Its not the same exact one. But Im sure you bought it from somewhere.

Fayettevillin, keep doin what your doin. With a little more time spent on that, it could look really good.

tri5ron
08-20-2009, 11:45 PM
Fayette, if you like it then do it.
dont let some boneheads make you change it.
I like to mess around with doing it different too, and don't really care if others like it or not.

You wouldn't belive how much crap I took the first time I posted pics of my 400ex with a rear rack and bag mounted to it for trail riding. the "Sport Quad Puritans" went freaking ballistic ! LOL !

sometimes I just like to mess around too,
check these shots out and you'll see a couple of my "riding buddies" LOL!...

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/Fathers%20Day%202009/IMG_9857.jpg

I've actually mounted some glaring yellow LED's in the eye sockets of the skull now, and power them from a 9v battery.
looks pretty funny, and draws alot of comments too.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/03%20400ex/IMG_9153.jpg

I kinda like your idea of the beemer angel eyes, and if you get that done I'd like to see it.
I've been thinking about doing a custom set of strobes behind my "mean eyes" paint.
I've been looking at a few different options as to how to do it, and think I know which way it will go now.
It will be both different, and functional, as a sort of a "anti-collision" lights, for trail riding.
It might be really wild to combine that idea, with a pair of Angel Eyes.

Here's the one that really got their goat, the first time I posted it, and I couldn't care less whether the "Racer BOYS" liked it or not. The point is, it works for me, and it also allows my Special needs son, to ride with me, where otherwise, he would not be able to enjoy going on a cruise with dad.
and when it's just me and the guys, the rack/bag takes all of 3 minutes to remove.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/03%20400ex/IMG_8424.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/03%20400ex/IMG_9201-1-1-1.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/Fathers%20Day%202009/IMG_9908.jpg

so to hell with the haters, and just do whatever blows your hair back !
and btw, Welcome to the forum, and I hope you find some good friends, and good info here.
Ride hard, Ride safe, and keep the rubber side down...

Ron

bergoff
08-21-2009, 12:12 AM
ron i have always liked your rear rack and bag setup. and since you can take your son with you thats great. i also hate cookie cutter so what ever you can do to make it your own go for it. that skull would look awesome mounted on the back of the airbox if it fits. welcome to the group.

Fayettevillin
08-21-2009, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by tri5ron
Fayette, if you like it then do it.
dont let some boneheads make you change it.
I like to mess around with doing it different too, and don't really care if others like it or not.

Ron

dude lookin at ur bike just gave me a bunch of idea's!! i love the mean eyes i saw it instantly cuz i had a 240 with the sleepy eyes..u know what a pop up head light on a atv would be new!! now that i think of it the 240sx eastbear light looks just liike a 400ex light..maybe ill put some yellow under body lights since we do alot of night riding!!

yea they make a angel eyes driving light almost the same size as 400ex lights and the rings can change 7 dif colors... u can drill holes to install strobes!! ORRRR a yellow led running light!!

katch26
08-21-2009, 10:03 AM
are you from fayettenam? cause that would explain the customization and bling fetish lol....its cool that you're willing to be different.

wykyd450R
08-21-2009, 10:46 AM
..u know what a pop up head light on a atv would be new!!

It's been done....

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b53/quadman400ex/1987-kawasaki-tecate-4.jpg

JOHNNYRENO
08-21-2009, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Jessem24
yea and those "choppers" look like chit. harley or nothing. dont be an A**HOLE mr Johnnyreno :rolleyes: THATS THE FIRST time i have heard a comment like that, AND I HAVE HAD HUNDREDS OF COMPLIMENTS WHICH MAKES ME BELIEVE THAT SOMEONES JEALOUS. YOUR PROPABLY TOO SHORT TO EVEN RIDE MY CHOP ANYHOW,,,,,WHATEVER,

08-21-2009, 12:55 PM
THATS THE FIRST time i have heard a comment like that, AND I HAVE HAD HUNDREDS OF COMPLIMENTS WHICH MAKES ME BELIEVE THAT SOMEONES JEALOUS. YOUR PROPABLY TOO SHORT TO EVEN RIDE MY CHOP ANYHOW,,,,,WHATEVER,

Looks like you'd have to be a midget to ride that thing.

I think cutting the sides down next to the skull would look pretty sick too.

tri5ron
08-21-2009, 01:25 PM
THATS THE FIRST time i have heard a comment like that, AND I HAVE HAD HUNDREDS OF COMPLIMENTS WHICH MAKES ME BELIEVE THAT SOMEONES JEALOUS. YOUR PROPABLY TOO SHORT TO EVEN RIDE MY CHOP ANYHOW,,,,,WHATEVER, How's that thing handle in the whoops ??? Just curious.

Ryanwolfe911
08-21-2009, 05:19 PM
How's that thing handle in the whoops ??? Just curious.
ROTFLMAO!!!

mcgrath
08-21-2009, 05:54 PM
heh tri5ron would you mind posting some pics of how you have that back rack mounted? That would be pretty handy for my little guy too.

dei3848
08-21-2009, 06:28 PM
Hundreds of compliments? For what?....we all know compliments from mom don't count

bergoff
08-21-2009, 06:33 PM
now that is funny. lmao

tri5ron
08-21-2009, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by mcgrath
heh tri5ron would you mind posting some pics of how you have that back rack mounted? That would be pretty handy for my little guy too. Sure, I'd be happy to, But in the intrest of not hijacking the OP's thread, I'll either wait to get his permission to post it here,... or I'll pm the pics to you.
let's give it a little while to see what the OP says,or would prefer.
many folks here have asked about the rack in the past. I'd be happy to repost the pics for those of you who are interested, or have not seen it before.
Ron

mcgrath
08-22-2009, 08:55 AM
yeah right on pm the pics to me if you dont mind. Im curious to see them. I put a rack on a scrambler before and it worked well. Did you fab the rack as well or did you buy it somewhere? Just looking for some ideas.

Fayettevillin
08-22-2009, 09:04 AM
Sure, I'd be happy to, But in the intrest of not hijacking the OP's thread, I'll either wait to get his permission to post it here,... or I'll pm the pics to you.
let's give it a little while to see what the OP says,or would prefer.
many folks here have asked about the rack in the past. I'd be happy to repost the pics for those of you who are interested, or have not seen it before.
Ron

post away tryin to help some1 out is always a plus with me!!

Fayettevillin
08-22-2009, 09:09 AM
ok soo i did like some1 said and made a new bracket at work lastnight and also finished my muffler still got to cut a corner off but im shure u guys will like this 1 better! sooo give me feedback!!

Fayettevillin
08-22-2009, 09:13 AM
side..

Fayettevillin
08-22-2009, 09:17 AM
longshot

Ryanwolfe911
08-22-2009, 09:19 AM
Just curious, but shouldn't the exhaust outlet be pointing down?

bergoff
08-22-2009, 10:05 AM
looks nice almost like it floating. it dont matter if the tip points down or to the side. its just a personal thing. the side is a little different so it pounds on there heads as you fly by.

tri5ron
08-22-2009, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by mcgrath
heh tri5ron would you mind posting some pics of how you have that back rack mounted? That would be pretty handy for my little guy too. Mcgrath, here's some pics of the rack and mount. They are made by Quadboss, (but I belive Quadboss changed their name to Quadpro or something like that).
The Rack itself, is their universal rack. The Mount for the rack is what is quad model/brand specific.
(and you may have a hard time finding the rack mount for a 400ex.)
another company that had them at one time was CMP or CM(?).
(Cambridge Metal something). I can try to find them again if you need me to.
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/03%20400ex/IMG_8204.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/03%20400ex/IMG_8203.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/03%20400ex/IMG_8202.jpg

I also have one for my wifes 250ex. Again, the rack is the same, and the mount is what is bike specific.
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/03%20400ex/IMG_8209.jpg

Here's a few close-ups of the mount for the 400ex. I didn't really like the original steel brackets that wrap around the grab bar that are shown in these pics, so I ended up making my own "J" hooks. The hooks I made, make it much easier and faster, to install and remove the rack/mount from the quad, as well as they make the mount a little more rigid, with less flexing.
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/03%20400ex/IMG_8261.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/03%20400ex/IMG_8260.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/03%20400ex/IMG_8262.jpg

Cargo Bags are a whole 'nuther quagmire to tredge thru, when trying to decide what you want, need, like, or can afford. Some of the can get fairly expensive. Especially if you want to go to the hard side luggage types.
I wanted max cargo capacity, in a soft side, semi rigid bag, that holds its shape when empty, or only half filled.
I also wanted the dual insulated coolers.
Also a very nice feature of the bag I chose, is that it DOES NOT have zippers for holding it closed. Rather it has magnetic openings on each compartment, and also has very sturdy straps with quick release clips. similar to the clip/buckles on your chest protectors. all the openings roll down 2 or 3 turns, then clip closed, making the near waterproof.

The bags that I considered to be the top of the line was the Tamarack Titan, and the OGIO. both are very high-end quality, and are also fairly expensive.
I did some VERY deep digging, and reasearch when comparing and deciding on what bags to get. through my reasearch, I came to find out the company who made the Titan bag, and that they also sold the bags for alot less $$$ without the Tamarack name emblazened all over them ! YEAAAA !!!

There is a dealer of them on ebay, and the part number is WAB-803.
They also sell a WAB-804, but that is specifically for a Rifle to be carried on the top, and has 1 less cargo compartment as a result.
I figured that if I wanted to carry my rifle, it will just as easily go on top of this bag, in a soft rifle case.
(btw, the compartment that IS on the WAB-803, and IS NOT on the WAB-804, is one of the compartments that I use the most !).
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/03%20400ex/IMG_8420.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/Pinnacles%20ride%207-04-09/IMG_9986.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/Fathers%20Day%202009/IMG_9854.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/Fathers%20Day%202009/IMG_9884.jpg

Here's one little extra feature that is special order ONLY, and the damn thing didn't even come with a owners manual, or saftey warnings, or anything ! ... seemed to have quite a pissy attitude, and I really found no practical use for it, so my advise would be to forego this one option........ LOL!
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/Fathers%20Day%202009/IMG_9848.jpg

having the big bags makes it nice to do a 20 mile ride, and to be able to have a picnic lunch out on the trail too.
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/Fathers%20Day%202009/IMG_9902.jpg

and for my Wifes Birthday, we did a full blown overnighter, just mommy and me, (left the munchkins at Granma's house), and packed a tent, air matress, stove, pots/pans, lantern, radio, chairs, food, and all the regular camping stuff, ...
left the RV at home, and did it all on the quads. it was a blast!
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/Pinnacles%20ride%207-04-09/IMG_9927.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/Pinnacles%20ride%207-04-09/IMG_9931.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/Pinnacles%20ride%207-04-09/IMG_9936.jpg

Hope this shows what you were looking for, and if I can be of any help finding one for you, or any other questions, just let me know.

Hope you enjoy the pics,
Ron

mcgrath
08-22-2009, 05:46 PM
Great pics! Im definately going to look into that. Looks like a family affair, right on. I have a little guy and girl too and a 400ex and a polaris 300 4x4 im working on , fun for the whole family. thanks again.

yellow02400ex
08-23-2009, 01:10 AM
ok soo i did like some1 said and made a new bracket at work lastnight and also finished my muffler still got to cut a corner off but im shure u guys will like this 1 better! sooo give me feedback!!

Thats exactly what I ment looks awsome now, and different.

JOHNNYRENO
08-23-2009, 03:33 PM
ok soo i did like some1 said and made a new bracket at work lastnight and also finished my muffler still got to cut a corner off but im shure u guys will like this 1 better! sooo give me feedback!! wow really cool and scary looking man. hee heee, just messin with ya man it really is preety cool looking dude, rock steady bro.