PDA

View Full Version : Watch my youtube video...Is something wrong

cjm8232
08-18-2009, 12:16 PM
I just bought this $1,500 from the original owner, an older farmer. He did not wash it much, so it looks more used than it is, but those are the original tires, chain and sprockets and are all still fine.

Can you guys watch this video and let me know how the engine sounds?

Does it sound like the valves need adjusting? Does the cam chain need adjusting?

He said he probably only put 100 hours on it. Also, the A-Arms and all the "pivot points" are filthy with grease and have grass seed stuck to everything, should I clean all that up? Do I then re-grease it through the "grease nipples" or do I coat everything in the "pivot point" with grease how he did?

But let me know how that thing sounds in the video too please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYR1gix3bB4

Thanks!

steve181
08-19-2009, 04:19 AM
Cam chain sounds a bit loose, which i think is why its running bad on idol

Clean out the old gas
clean the carb

if u dont know how to do you valves n stuff

take it to a dealer for a tune up

d3ktrix
08-20-2009, 02:13 AM
You can't tell if the valves need to be adjusted just buy listening to it. And if anything, in my experience, tight valves are quieter then ones that are adjusted perfect.
Chances are if the bike has any significant hours on it at all, the valves are not going to be perfect.
Not sure about the warrior but on most bikes the tensioner has a spring, so the cam chain is always tight unless it is super stretched out, at which point it needs to be replaced.

If you can adjust the valves ur self, do it. If not, just ride the thing, its call a warrior for a reason :P
Shops are a rip off for valve adjustments even though its so easy.

And just clean all the grease off the a-arms, grease on the outside of the joint does nothing but collect sand.

In the video u said the gas sat in it for 2 years? That would make any engine run/sound horrible. Dump that stuff out ASAP before it causes any damage.

Once the bike warms up, the idle should speed up some and sound cleaner. If it was warmed up in the video, the idle needs to be raised some. The fresh gas will also help it.
Though warriors do have super loud top ends and can lug like no other.

cjm8232
08-20-2009, 05:35 AM
It's running better with fresh gas. The idle is still a little chopy, but there is no hesitation anywhere in the powerband, so I am just going to leave the carb for now.

I do need to grease the thing though, I am hearing a little squeak coming from the steering shaft, and a slight squeak/creak is starting to develop in the axle bearing housing (probably going to nee axle bearings soon).

I know the rear axle bearings are sealed, but should I try and squirt some grease or lubricant in there to try and squeeze more life out of the bearings?

I am going to the Yamaha dealer this weekend to get a Clymers manual, but in the mean time how do I adjust the idle?

Lastly, this quad seems a little more difficult to work on than my Honda 250x. I know the 250x is a simpler machine, I just hope this Yamaha is as reliable. My 250x is bulletproof.

steve181
08-20-2009, 08:00 AM
i would check the carrier bearings, because you want to catch them going out to prevent wear on the axle

Lift up the rear end, and give the axle a good shake, if its solid i would just grease it up, but it there is some play i would just replace the carrier

About the squeak in the steering, it could be from a dry stearing stem, just pull it apart and give it a good greasing, it should stop the squeak and make it turn alot better

cjm8232
08-20-2009, 08:24 AM
There's no play in the back wheels and there is no play in the front wheels nor is there any play in the steering, so I am just going to grease that steering stem up at the handlebars and also at the bottom of the stem.

Is it OK to squirt grease into the axle bearing carrier even though there is no grease/zerk fitting?

steve181
08-20-2009, 08:32 AM
Yes that is fine

when you replace the bearings i would buy a carrier with grease fittings

steve181
08-20-2009, 10:56 AM
And Also Save Urself Some Gas Money

http://www.maxmekker.com/atv.asp

cjm8232
08-20-2009, 06:49 PM
very nice...I will post a vid in the future after I have it all tuned and cleaned up.

As I am cleaning this machine, I am realizing how little use it really has for a 2001. It was just dirty becuase the previous owner was farmer and had the thing coated in grease. But that's good!

Wait till you guys see the vid with it all clean and tuned!

quadboy-55
08-21-2009, 04:08 PM
check the air filter, clean the carb, check the oil, and oil filter.