PDA

View Full Version : Smoking on decel???

Slowex
08-18-2009, 02:51 AM
When I get on it and decelerate it blows some blue smoke. Like if i floor it in say third to redline and let off staying in 3rd it starts smoking a little then progressivly gets worse (staying in 3rd). It just smokes to much for me. Its definately oil getting into the exhaust somehow.

the 4 wheeler pulls strong and still runs good. WHen i start it up it doesnt blow any smoke at all or when i rev it or when im just putting around. I have the correct amount of oil 10w 40w recomended "atv oil". The wheeler is rich because it has to big of a fuel jet but that has nothing to do with the smoke just thought i'd mention it.

My thoughts are valve sales... hopefully. What do you think is causing this?

400man
08-18-2009, 08:17 AM
mine used to smoke like this, and also under real hard acceleration. mines a 2000 model that never had the motor opend up untill just last week when I replaced the timing chain and tensioner, and also put new oem rings and a fresh hone and some new gaskets and valve seals. and since then I havent seen one spec of blue smoke.

i'd try replaceing the valve seals first, and if that doesnt work its most likely the rings.

Slowex
08-18-2009, 01:42 PM
sounds like you had a very simular issue... although your not sure exactly what fixed it since you fixed both it seems.

I'd like to know signs of worn rings and the signs of warn valve seals if possible. If i am going to pull the head off i'd rather do it once and go ahead and do the jug as well and put new rings in it.

400man
08-19-2009, 12:16 AM
well, what actually happened to mine was that the timing chain jumped off the crankshaft because the tensioner went out on it. and I decided while I was gonna replace the chain and tensioner I might as well put some new rings in it so I wont have to later. my piston still looked great for a 2000 model, hardly any wear except for at the very bottom of the cylinder after I had it honed, piston stell measured right at 85mm. my cylinder head had alot of carbon buildup in the combustion chamber and exhaust valves. I took a dremel and cleaned it all up and then took sand paper and smoothed everything up to where it looked almost new. I think after everything was all said and done it cost me $215

Slowex
08-24-2009, 02:01 AM
anyone else?