PDA

View Full Version : is it worth it?

SRH
08-16-2009, 08:31 PM
just got back from visiting one of my good riding buddies in the icu...flipped in a rythm section, helmet was crushed /flew off ...there saying brain dead...hes on a machine..if theres no brain activity soon they may have to pull the plug....1 yr ago i got paralyzed me and him came together on a jump i bailed and broke my back....another of my dads friends just broke his neck racing...luckily no long term damage....seeing someone on life support isnt exactly a motivator to get on a quad....its a cold world i guess.... all for a $3 trophy:( :ermm:

Guy400
08-16-2009, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by SRH
is it worth it? I suppose only the rider can answer that. Accidents can happen anywhere/anytime but certainly there are sports and activities that increase that risk. I know I'd love to have a motorcycle but the risk isn't worth leaving my wife a widow and my young kids fatherless.

08-16-2009, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Guy400
I suppose only the rider can answer that.

I second that. If it's worth the risk factor for you go for it... If not, try something else... Like RC racing. :D It's surprising that you get an adrenaline rush when you're in a race with an RC car. I was shoked at the feeling you get when I first raced at the local track. :p

But for me the risk is worth the thrill. If you think about it, I'm sure just as many people if not more have gotten paralyzed and or died from car accidents. You have just as much of risk riding in a car everyday. :ermm:

ALAMX37
08-16-2009, 09:24 PM
IT is something we all know is possible. It is always terrible to hear of things like these, but I realize everytime I throw my leg over my machine it could be my last. I feel for you with the deepest regards.

As for me, I do it because to me its the purest most unbiased release of emotion in the world. For the ten minutes in time where nothing matters, all my problems dissipate and all that means anything is me and my machine.

SRH
08-16-2009, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by ALAMX37
IT is something we all know is possible. It is always terrible to hear of things like these, but I realize everytime I throw my leg over my machine it could be my last. I feel for you with the deepest regards.

As for me, I do it because to me its the purest most unbiased release of emotion in the world. For the ten minutes in time where nothing matters, all my problems dissipate and all that means anything is me and my machine.

riding i agree 100% i need that therapy, without it i have no outlet for frustrations and what not....i tried to get away from it after i got hurt but i love it

racing is a completely different subject, usually people race to go progress to the professional level or aspire to reach there , with all ive expirienced in the last season im convinced they need to up the professional atv racers pay by 10-15x's the amount or more, when you start pushing yourself to the limit at the speeds a A class rider runs the chances of getting hurt just go up and up... and if you avoid becoming disabled or death and your the 1 or 2% that make it theyll pay you a salary easily attainable by any ambitious working class guy....

everyone accepts that risk because they think it wont be them is what i beleive because when your in that position i dont think anyone goes shucks....well i knew it could happen, your freaking out thinking i cant beleive it happened...:ermm: its just been a depressing day

pro-rider46
08-17-2009, 05:42 AM
sorry to hear about your friend

a suggestion to you is, if your not wanting to race motorcross, you could get into drag racing. it doesnt really hold the danger that motorcross or cross country racing does. i started it last year, and now im addicted.

MX MaNiAc 06
08-17-2009, 07:46 AM
I could have guessed what this thread was about when I saw the title and I didn't want to read it but I did anyway. I've been getting better and better and this is something I try not to even think about.

Not to hijack or anything but I thought I'd let you know I talked to my buddy Danny a couple days ago. He's still in Atlanta in rehab. I shed a few tears on the phone with him because it didn't sound like he had made a whole lot of progress. :ermm: He seemed to be in great spirits which was great for me to hear. He was talking about his motorized wheelchair and how I would have to put it on the trailor to take him to the track to watch me ride. He said he wanted to ride my quad and do a no-footer because he can't feel his legs. haha Which was great to hear him joke around because when I visited him he wasn't in the best mood. But the pain has gone away and he can't feel anything from his chest down.

SRH
08-17-2009, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by MX MaNiAc 06
I could have guessed what this thread was about when I saw the title and I didn't want to read it but I did anyway. I've been getting better and better and this is something I try not to even think about.

Not to hijack or anything but I thought I'd let you know I talked to my buddy Danny a couple days ago. He's still in Atlanta in rehab. I shed a few tears on the phone with him because it didn't sound like he had made a whole lot of progress. :ermm: He seemed to be in great spirits which was great for me to hear. He was talking about his motorized wheelchair and how I would have to put it on the trailor to take him to the track to watch me ride. He said he wanted to ride my quad and do a no-footer because he can't feel his legs. haha Which was great to hear him joke around because when I visited him he wasn't in the best mood. But the pain has gone away and he can't feel anything from his chest down.

does he have any use of his arms yet?

MX MaNiAc 06
08-17-2009, 03:43 PM
He said he has to use a motorized chair because he couldn't wheel himself in a regular wheel chair. I didn't ask more because I didn't want to upset him. I just thought he would have told me if there was any huge accomplishments.

450rRacer22
08-17-2009, 04:13 PM
I pretty much got out of the sport cuz i just didnt have the heart and ambition for it and i just had different priorities. It seemed to be more of a hassle getting everything packed up and ready to go racing rather than a fun, exciting thing we did as a family. Its tough to tell anyone whether they should race or not cuz only the rider can make that choice. I think if your second guessing it a lot then its just not for you, you really need to be dedicated to the sport if you wanna go pro. Some people race for fun like i did but i found it was just too expensive to go that route. Even with payout in A class it still wasnt worth it. Not doing it because of the fear of being injured i feel is kinda foolish just because we live in a world where anything can happen, you really never know. Getting in a car and driving a mile down the road can be just as dangerous as jumping that 90ft triple. I guess its how you look at things.

SRH
08-17-2009, 08:05 PM
unfortunately he was taken off support today, rip dustin:(

08-17-2009, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by SRH
unfortunately he was taken off support today, rip dustin:( are u talking about dustin brocato?(scro)man it really sucks when stuff like that happens i was sad reading through all dis stuff especially with mx maniac its jus sad he's ina powered wheelchair and prob be like that the rest of his like right?:( :( and ur best friend dieing:( i would jus be heartbroken if any of my friends die,i mean my best friend is like a brother to mei wish the best of luck to ur friend in rehab mx maniac,and rest in piece dustin:( and the reason i do it is that its an adrenaline rush its fun and ive never thought twice bout bein a pro rider im dedicated to this sport and always will be for my entire life

born2ride14
08-17-2009, 08:37 PM
Dude thats terrible:( :( :( , I look at it if i were going to die it better be from having too much fun