PDA

View Full Version : Rocking 426ex

bigH
08-16-2009, 06:29 PM
Well after yesterday i have finally came to understand that the 400ex can be made to whoop on the 450's. It was finally put back together after its rebuild. I didn't think that the 426 kit was going to make that much a difference. man was that stupid. My buddy got a new yfz 450r. About seven of us rode yesterday. The yfz was truly the hit of the day once it arrived. All of us including me were gazing at the quad. I finally got the chance to ride it and once i did i was very unimpressed with the yfz450r's power. I told my buddy my 426 is faster and he didn't believe me. We raced 4 times. 3 from a dead stop every time the ex would get the jump. The 400ex pulled the yfz450r all the way to top end where the yfz450r started to gain a little on me but it Wasn't near enough to pass the ex. overall length was about 2-3 bikes. The mid-range pull of the ex is just awesome. I know that 450's can destroy any 400ex with a piston and cam mod but i think that its kinda cool to be able to out run light modded 450's with a quad that everyone says is outdated. 400ex all the way. Its already a classic.

bigH
08-16-2009, 06:30 PM
mods of the 400ex are in the sig btw

honda400ex2003
08-16-2009, 08:28 PM
congrats!!! sounds pretty cool to whoop up on some 450s. i dont ride with any to even race any. lol. steve

400ex28
08-16-2009, 09:32 PM
yep been there done that

hypersnyper6947
08-17-2009, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
congrats!!! sounds pretty cool to whoop up on some 450s. i dont ride with any to even race any. lol. steve

Me neither, i would like to try though. I have beat my buddies DS 650, he has a full pipe and a UNI. He beats me too though lol. But sometimes I take him. I have never even road a 450 so i have no comparison.

Congrats on the 450 beat down.

Lonestar_R
08-17-2009, 08:58 AM
My 426 Kit runs the same way. I have a 39mm FCR Carb and a Hot Cam Stage 1 Cam in mine and my head is ported and polished. I have a HMF full system and no one believes me that it runs as well as it does untill they ride it.

bigH
08-17-2009, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Lonestar_R
My 426 Kit runs the same way. I have a 39mm FCR Carb and a Hot Cam Stage 1 Cam in mine and my head is ported and polished. I have a HMF full system and no one believes me that it runs as well as it does untill they ride it.

Yeah people are the same way with my 426. Its kind of funny because its always overlooked until someone rides. I'm not big on quads drag racing at all but its pretty damn cool to have something to prove to others on 450's. Not saying my 426 is the fastest quad out there but i believe it can take down any stock 450. My 450's are definitely faster then my ex with there mods but still i prefer my 426ex through our trail section. Its narrow and corners well.

smelly$cat
08-17-2009, 12:03 PM
All the stock 450's are ~38hp or so. If you are spanking a stock 450 or a near stock one, you're probably putting down ~40 hp I'd guess. Plus, you have way more bottom end grunt than any 450.

For this reason, I love my EX's.

Originally posted by bigH
Yeah people are the same way with my 426. Its kind of funny because its always overlooked until someone rides. I'm not big on quads drag racing at all but its pretty damn cool to have something to prove to others on 450's. Not saying my 426 is the fastest quad out there but i believe it can take down any stock 450. My 450's are definitely faster then my ex with there mods but still i prefer my 426ex through our trail section. Its narrow and corners well.

bigH
08-17-2009, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by smelly$cat
All the stock 450's are ~38hp or so. If you are spanking a stock 450 or a near stock one, you're probably putting down ~40 hp I'd guess. Plus, you have way more bottom end grunt than any 450.

For this reason, I love my EX's.

I agree the ex has awesome grunt and is the wheelie king. And im not sure what the hp is on my quad. it had 35 with its last set up. im guessing anywhere from 37-40 if im lucky.

400ex28
08-17-2009, 07:14 PM
Alot of it has to do with rider skill also.

John Noftsinger
08-17-2009, 08:05 PM
you got it ! its not the 426 ex beating 450,s its rider !

honda400ex2003
08-17-2009, 08:08 PM
this is going to get good again. lol. steve

F-16Guy
08-18-2009, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by John Noftsinger
you got it ! its not the 426 ex beating 450,s its rider !
A built 400ex CAN have more horsepower and torque than a piped and jetted 450. I know it's hard to believe, but it's true.:muscle:

smelly$cat
08-18-2009, 08:21 AM
+1

Originally posted by F-16Guy
A built 400ex CAN have more horsepower and torque than a piped and jetted 450. I know it's hard to believe, but it's true.:muscle:

John Noftsinger
08-18-2009, 07:01 PM
if thats true why didn,t the ex win a championship between 2000-now agains,t z400,s 450,s on the Mx track? is the 426 a new and improved kit? i just dont see it, My friends all had ex,s with just about every kit up to 502ex and the 502 ex kit was the only real hp quad the rest 416,426,440 weren,t nothing to brag about my stock z beat most of them in a drag race/hillclimbing with just a twin air filter,pipe/jet kit. i can see it if you put a lot of money into a custom built motor with,valve work,porting,flywheelshaving,carb, but a run of the mill 426kit cant see it.

smelly$cat
08-19-2009, 08:27 AM
My woods EX put down 38hp on the dyno with the following build, which is the same hp as most of the STOCK new 450's.
--
STOCK cam
STOCK carb
12.5:1 CP Piston
Kibble-white valves / springs
Polished head
K&N Filter
DMC Alien - full system (with spark arrestor)

That's it.

I can scan and post my dyno sheet tomorrow if needed.

Originally posted by John Noftsinger
if thats true why didn,t the ex win a championship between 2000-now agains,t z400,s 450,s on the Mx track? is the 426 a new and improved kit? i just dont see it, My friends all had ex,s with just about every kit up to 502ex and the 502 ex kit was the only real hp quad the rest 416,426,440 weren,t nothing to brag about my stock z beat most of them in a drag race/hillclimbing with just a twin air filter,pipe/jet kit. i can see it if you put a lot of money into a custom built motor with,valve work,porting,flywheelshaving,carb, but a run of the mill 426kit cant see it.

smelly$cat
08-19-2009, 08:28 AM
To clarify though, my woods EX should only "match" a stock 450. A piped and jetted 450 should beat my woods EX in a drag race since it would then have more than stock HP, all other factors being equal.

My woods EX put down 38hp on the dyno with the following build, which is the same hp as most of the STOCK new 450's.
--
STOCK cam
STOCK carb
12.5:1 CP Piston
Kibble-white valves / springs
Polished head
K&N Filter
DMC Alien - full system (with spark arrestor)

That's it.

I can scan and post my dyno sheet tomorrow if needed.

08-19-2009, 08:36 AM
My banshee puts down about 46-47, I win:devil:

lol just playin with you guys. I love my EX too:D

smelly$cat
08-19-2009, 08:47 AM
Ha! I'm not even going to touch that one....

I just rode a couple different banshees when I was down at the dunes in Oregon a few weeks ago. Totally different riding experience.

I felt they had more straight line pull (obviously), but they were set up so soft I felt like I was floating over everything. Like a Cadillac. It also felt very narrow and didn't inspire my confidence to corner aggressively.

A different friend of mine just sold off his banshee. That thing was insanely fast and it wasn't even stroked. You know your hauling *** when your helmet starts lifting up and the chin strap starts digging into your chin. lol!

His banshee was literally chromed out from head to toe. Swing arm, a-arms, steering stem, axle, engine cases, all the little accessories, all the nuts/bolts. It has a engine built by "white knuckle" racing. The tank shroud was all custom painted with "white knuckle racing" air brushed into the back ground. Custom seat cover with the little velvet strip to cushion your mysterious man parts. Race cut plastics front and rear. It was a site to behold.... Friggen everyone in the camp ground that would walk by would stop and gawk at it and strike up a conversation. Pretty cool. :) Strictly a dunes machine though.

Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
My banshee puts down about 46-47, I win:devil:

lol just playin with you guys. I love my EX too:D

08-19-2009, 01:11 PM
Ha! I'm not even going to touch that one....

I just rode a couple different banshees when I was down at the dunes in Oregon a few weeks ago. Totally different riding experience.

I felt they had more straight line pull (obviously), but they were set up so soft I felt like I was floating over everything. Like a Cadillac. It also felt very narrow and didn't inspire my confidence to corner aggressively.

A different friend of mine just sold off his banshee. That thing was insanely fast and it wasn't even stroked. You know your hauling *** when your helmet starts lifting up and the chin strap starts digging into your chin. lol!

His banshee was literally chromed out from head to toe. Swing arm, a-arms, steering stem, axle, engine cases, all the little accessories, all the nuts/bolts. It has a engine built by "white knuckle" racing. The tank shroud was all custom painted with "white knuckle racing" air brushed into the back ground. Custom seat cover with the little velvet strip to cushion your mysterious man parts. Race cut plastics front and rear. It was a site to behold.... Friggen everyone in the camp ground that would walk by would stop and gawk at it and strike up a conversation. Pretty cool. :) Strictly a dunes machine though.

Yeah, banshee's are one of those quads you have to ride a while and get used to.

They feel real narrow at first, but when you learn the beast and get used to it, I can corner way faster then on my 400ex because it will just hit powerband and rip around corners in a slide.

smelly$cat
08-19-2009, 01:28 PM
I can see that... Plus, the narrowness isn't something that's can't be addressed :)

Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
Yeah, banshee's are one of those quads you have to ride a while and get used to.

They feel real narrow at first, but when you learn the beast and get used to it, I can corner way faster then on my 400ex because it will just hit powerband and rip around corners in a slide.

Tony426ex
08-19-2009, 02:59 PM
Sup guys , looks like theres a couple you guys with 426ex .. whoever got a 450 carb please let me know ur jetting spec i got a 426 wiseco piston domed , Hotcam Stage 2 , full piped DMC , open box car peeflow, (lol @ K&N 100$ buyers ) 450carb , AMR CDI box Stage 3 and Monster Coil ... if you dont have that AMR combo .. buy it dude but you need both, it really does a improvement i guarantee, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AMR-S3-REV-BOX-COIL-COMBO-HONDA-TRX-400EX-400-CDI-05-08_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhas hZitem53dc71fa34QQitemZ360180742708QQptZMotorcycle sQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories ive been doing drags for 3 years always finish second (400-440 4 stroke class) but this year i want to be first. so if anyone have any advice feel free to say it , what would u put on for rear tires , 4 snows or brand new holeshots tires? what about gearing( ive got all of them ) ? and my main question whoever has a 450 carb please tell me whats ur jettin spec! i need some advice about the carb cuz its my new mod. please newbs with lil slip on , stay quiet :P sorry for english mistakes im french CANADIAN =)

smelly$cat
08-19-2009, 03:07 PM
LOL!

"please newbs with lil slip on , stay quiet :P":p

deathcorefan2
08-19-2009, 03:09 PM
if i build my 400ex to these specs will it run with a 450, maybe not beat one but keep up?

416 11:1
stage two cam
450r carb
intake
exhaust

smelly$cat
08-19-2009, 03:10 PM
Probably. If you bump up the compression more, you will for sure.

Originally posted by deathcorefan2
if i build my 400ex to these specs will it run with a 450, maybe not beat one but keep up?

416 11:1
stage two cam
450r carb
intake
exhaust