PDA

View Full Version : How old?

flint250trx
08-16-2009, 01:23 PM
Well my son just turned 3 and I bought him his first quad. Hes on a DS50 now has some clutch work, a racing CDI, and is widened. I am new to all the Mini's and iI was wondering if the DS 50 racable. And If so at what age can I get him out their. The kid loves to ride and is a natural. We are from upstate NY whear can we race?

Any other information that you guys can throw at me would be great.

Thanks guys

Josh

08-16-2009, 03:04 PM
I believe 4-7 can run the 50cc. 7-11 is a 70 They go by the age of Jan 1st so if January hes 3 then you will have to wait till 2011 to race. Just trying to help.

mxdad423
08-16-2009, 07:29 PM
Here's how it works, say your son or daughter has a b-day of Jan 7, I used that one because that's my son's b-day, LOL. but anyway, that is what we all call a great racer b-day, because lets say your son or daughter is running in the 90 production class, the age in that class is 8-15 so if your son or daughter turns 16 on Jan 7 than they are eligable to run that class for the whole season because as of the 1rst they were still 15, but on the other hand lets say with this guy his kid is only 3 and he will turn 4 in lets say May, he could start racing in May, he wouldn't have to wait till the next season. Hope that helps.

Kevin Smitley

08-16-2009, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the info. You cleared that up for me too.

flint250trx
08-17-2009, 05:55 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I will be returning home from Iraq this month and can not wait to get the boy out their riding on his own. Its scary watching him take off on his own. His hands are still kind of small so he cant really use the hand break. And he gets so excited riding it that he dosent really pay attention to whear hes going he just continues to look at me and smile...lol.. guess its nice to see the smiling face.

In your opinions is the DS 50 (2 stroke) raceable. Could it be made to compete with all the great bikes that are out their now?

Thanks again for all the help and I am looking forward to working with all of you.

Josh

LT80
08-17-2009, 06:09 AM
3 years old is not old enough to understand it all. let alone race.
Wait till his his hands are big enough to reach the controls.
He'll smile just as much with a powerwheels and won't get hurt.
Just my 2 cents.

redonkulousruntsracing
08-18-2009, 08:09 AM
Josh,

Glad to hear that your little guy is lovin' the old DS. It was a great little bike. Seth raced it a full season just as you bought it and did well on it, will it keep up with a DRR or Apex? It depends on the rider. Seth did win a few races on it, it will make for a good learning quad, you will be able to tell when he is ready for something different just as I did. It's a good machine to get into racing with and learn the tracks and rules of racing. 1st bit of advice I tell all newcomers to the tracks, tell your son not to worry about other machines coming up on him, dont turn to get out of their way, dont look over your shoulder, they are behind him, they can see him and will go by him. tell him to "Stick to your line, stay straight". The worst thing he could do is try to move out of his line and change direction when another rider is trying to go by him. PM me and I can let you know what tracks are nearby, there are a bunch of guys from the Carthage/Lowville area who come to the races.

Brandon