PDA

View Full Version : Starting issue.

rigger
08-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Got my R project already to start up and take for a spin around the block and she will not start.

This is what I have in place.....
Pretty much a stock motor, 36mm carb all clean and set up decent enough for a first run. New reeds, new plug, new gas.

The first time I tried to start her up yesterday, I only wanted to run it just for a few seconds to hear her run. Choked it, about a 1/4 throttle and she fired off 2nd kick. I reved her just a tad, let her run about 15 seconds or so and shut her down.

Later I tried the same thing and she would not start at all. A couple of little tries and a couple of smalle little wanta be back fires and that is it.

I took that carb back off and cleaned it again just to make sure I was not missing anything and that did no good.

She has spark. Not as big and bright as I would like it to be but it seems to be good. The only other thing I just thought of was being that everything is fresh painted, mabe I need to run another ground from the motor to the frame for another ground.

You guys got any other thoughts? Maybe something I am overlooking?

Thanks.

rigger
08-16-2009, 11:29 AM
Well I think I may have found a problem with my head gasket. I was just out there checking a few other little things on it and saw a couple of drops of coolant on the back side of the head. Figure if she was leaking right there she might be leaking on the inside as well.

That would explain why she fired rght up yesterday on the second kick because she had no coolant in it.

Motor is not going to run on coolant. Oh well, time to take her back apart and see what I can see.

rigger
08-16-2009, 12:49 PM
Well she had a little coolant in the top end. That explains the wont' start issue.

Looks like the head may have a little warpage to it. Guess I should have checked that before I took it apart. I took it for granted that it was good since this was a running motor.

Don't have the measuring tools at home today to see just what it really measures out at.

Might be a good excuse to get that new 310 top end. :D
Guess it is a good thing that I do not have the money for that.

thedeatons
08-16-2009, 09:27 PM
Checking compression is a mandatory check for me before expecting an engine to start... I have made too many mistakes before that have cost me so much time. The tester has paid for itself many times over... Just my few cents. the tester is $60 at Sears, with all the adapters... :)

James

rigger
08-17-2009, 05:31 PM
Yes I know. I should have done a compresion check just like I should have checked the head to make sure it was true. But I took it for granted that it was ok.

So now I have to wait a little longer. I am going to measure it all out tonight and see how bad it really is.