PDA

View Full Version : Smoking and difficulty starting!!!

alpha6164
08-14-2009, 10:49 PM
I recently purchased two 2005 400EXs at the same time. Both of them had been sitting in the garage for a few months without being ridden. Needless to say, that both of them do not start easily.

Particularly one of them might take 20 times to actually start and run without shutting off. One of them specially is difficult. Choke fully one i might start 10-15 times before it actually runs for 2 seconds and shuts off. And consecutively runs longer and longer where it does not shut off. The same one smokes pretty bad out of the exhaust. They both haul *** and i dont see any other issues.

. I am going to be changing the oils, filters and spark plugs to both of them this weekend. All other inputs or suggestions would be appreciated.

quadmad16
08-15-2009, 06:58 AM
i recently bought an 06 model that has never been riden..its easy started but smokes when it gets hot:(

killer400ex
08-15-2009, 07:17 AM
if they have been modded in any way then there going to be a bit harder to start, mine is a pain also, i dont use the choke on mine though, i just pump the throttle a few times and turn her over and once she fires i have to keep my thumb on the throttle to keep it running untill she warms up, and before i rebuilt it she would smoke on start up alot too but run like hell when she was warm, all 400's tend to be cold blooded so unless your constantly screwing with the idol screw or working the throttle there gonna want to stall at low rpm and when there cold

alpha6164
08-15-2009, 07:32 AM
I have read that they are "cold blooded." But i thought that was for places with colder temperatures. I am in Florida and yesterday was 80deg and still took me 20 tries to start it after sitting for a couple of days. I am afraid of burning up the starter. The only mod it has is slip on exhaust and Uni filter. That is it.

matts27
08-15-2009, 10:02 AM
Clean the carb, sounds like the pilot is plugged up

paharleyman2001
08-15-2009, 12:32 PM
Hey bud I bought a 2002 400ex a couple years ago and it smoked and was hard to start at times well i took it to the shop and I needed the top end replace because the previous owner didnt know how to take care of it and never changed the oil on it so when i got that done I also had a 416 kit put on it and never had anymore problems with it. but get the topend checked bud just a thought

mcgrath
08-16-2009, 08:30 AM
sitting in the garage for a few months. that probably means since last year. Id pull the carbs and clean thoroughly, new plugs and check the valve clearances. If all of these are good you should have no problems, unless you have low compression, then its time for new piston and rings.Thats really not a big deal either but a good cleaning will probably fix your issues.

bigbad400
08-16-2009, 11:08 AM
they are probably plugged in the pilot or need a 42 pilot, the choke never helped me get mine started, i put a 42 in there and removed the choke, i can start it in -10 degrees in northern michigan, just pump three times and she fires up in seconds, the choke is so restrictive on these id remove it and grab some 42 pilots from your local dealer and see what happens, dont tare into a motor for some stupid thaught that the rings are bad or something, start small first. leave the valves alone too thats prolly never bean messed with and dont need to be, the problem most likely is in the carb, dirty or otherwise, never get into a motor unless your sure its necessary, it kills reliability if your not a well seasoned mechanic, and even then its questionable. good luck and im convince you need to clean your carb, or do the 42 pilots, ask around many people remove the choke and add the 42. you can actually gain some taking the choke out too. its very restrictive.

alpha6164
08-16-2009, 11:43 AM
I definitely want to remove the choke. Are there any tutorials or videos that show how that is done?

mcgrath
08-16-2009, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by bigbad400
they are probably plugged in the pilot or need a 42 pilot, the choke never helped me get mine started, i put a 42 in there and removed the choke, i can start it in -10 degrees in northern michigan, just pump three times and she fires up in seconds, the choke is so restrictive on these id remove it and grab some 42 pilots from your local dealer and see what happens, dont tare into a motor for some stupid thaught that the rings are bad or something, start small first. leave the valves alone too thats prolly never bean messed with and dont need to be, the problem most likely is in the carb, dirty or otherwise, never get into a motor unless your sure its necessary, it kills reliability if your not a well seasoned mechanic, and even then its questionable. good luck and im convince you need to clean your carb, or do the 42 pilots, ask around many people remove the choke and add the 42. you can actually gain some taking the choke out too. its very restrictive.

Hey nobody said his rings are bad but if valves are in spec which by the way should be checked regularly, we call that maintenance, and you have low compression, the compression is going somewhere. ie past the rings. It is probably just a carb issue but dont start changing jetting before cleaning and a new plug and bad starting and smoking is a common sympton of valve lash out of spec.PS. 11:1 416 K&N filter 40 pilot and starts great with choke.

06tacoma
08-20-2009, 05:23 PM
just had top end done 440 big bore and jetted also pipped and had the valves done and now it doesnt want to start and when it does it smokes bad.:mad:

mcgrath
08-20-2009, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by 06tacoma
just had top end done 440 big bore and jetted also pipped and had the valves done and now it doesnt want to start and when it does it smokes bad.:mad:

Its hard to say. How was it jetted if it doesnt run? Is the timing on? Are the valves set properly? Did you do this rebuild or did you have a dealer do it? Did somebody forget to put the valve seals in? We will need some more info to help. Really it could be many things. When it finally starts does it run well? What jets do you have in it?

mcgrath
08-20-2009, 05:51 PM
06 tacoma, If you start a new thread you will get lots of help.