PDA

View Full Version : should i rebiuld or get new quad

meangeno69
08-14-2009, 06:01 PM
I have a 03 predator with lots of hours on it if I get a big bore kit will it make the moter pritty much brand new or should I sell and get newer

m0t0xk1d
08-14-2009, 06:50 PM
there will be alot of people that say get a new one predators suck but i have a 07 preddy and i love it. i would rebuild it. if you get a nice big bore kit on that thing nop one will be able to touch you. preddys are pretty fast. with a big bore kit they would be ALOT faster. i would rebuild it. predators are bad like every ones says. people just hate on polaris. there stuff is put together well. well the high performanec sport quad atleast are. so rebuild it

meangeno69
08-14-2009, 07:29 PM
Will the moter be pritty much brand new

m0t0xk1d
08-16-2009, 08:02 PM
if you bore it get a good cross hatch pattern and make sure you check the cam/cambearing timing chaine/sproket and replace vavles if need it will be

meangeno69
08-16-2009, 08:20 PM
I don't know the first thing about moters. So someone else is going to be doing the building

m0t0xk1d
08-16-2009, 11:34 PM
if you get some one to go thru the motor and replace everything that is need and what not the thing will run very strong if not stronger then stock

born2ride14
08-17-2009, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by meangeno69
I don't know the first thing about moters. So someone else is going to be doing the building

From what it sounds like, you dont know the basics of a quad, and maintain, if it has alot of time on the stock motor, that dosent mean crap, rub it till it blows then put a big bore kit in it, porting would be your best bet

meangeno69
08-17-2009, 05:49 PM
Hey look at me I don't know anything about moters I must be a moron. I take care of my qaud and change oil and oil chain and clean air filter ect. Becouse I don't know anything about the inturnal working of a engine and how it works you make fun of me. What a dueche.

timmersam
08-17-2009, 05:53 PM
Do not run it until it blows thats just rediculous. I do agree with porting it. Personally I would get the bore inspected, and then figure out what the best thing to do is. You can get the valves re-seated. How many hours we talking here? If you have the motor inspected why not split the cases and have the crank and its bearings looked at. If you wait until something lets go and put a rod through a case you will basically need a whole new motor. Just my .02.

Sam

meangeno69
08-17-2009, 06:05 PM
Hey sam thank you for the positive advise. I ride my quad pritty hard and its been riddin hard since 03, I couldn't even estimate the hours I have put on it. I want more power now and I also am afraid it is going to let go becouse it is getting up there in hours. So I was wondering if I got a big bore kit if it would kinda reset the hours. Or should I be lookin into a new quad.

timmersam
08-17-2009, 06:12 PM
It all depends on your money situation. If you have enough, then I would look at a new quad. Simply putting a big bore in will not reset the hours because you have to think of all the hours on the valve train, crank, gears, clutch...etc. In some cases a big bore will be a negative depending on the quality. Personally if you are worried about your motor, I would be looking into a new quad. If you simply want more power, porting,high flow filter, and a pipe will really wake your up your motor and will be reliable.

Sam

Edit: I just read your sig and see that you have a pipe and filter...

motox92
08-24-2009, 07:15 PM
He was just giving you his opinion how is he a douche? You clearly do not know much about anything. You can not even spell words right....dont ask questions if you dont want peoples opinions/answers.

John451
08-31-2009, 07:39 PM
I'm gona be the old lady here haha. On the bottom of every page the first thing it says is....

RULES

1. If you don't like someone, make believe you do or don't respond. Personal attacks will not be tolerated.

so shutup and answer the guy's question and stop your *****ing.

John451
08-31-2009, 07:46 PM
But if I were in your situation I would do a piston and ring for it and just have the cylinder honed because if it still runs then the cylinder's fine and the ring is all it really needs you dont even need to replace the piston. That's what I do on my bikes, a $20 piston ring, a $30 gasket kit, and a $10 hone job. Does the trick every time. You, on the other hand, problably want to have the valves and stuff checked out so you should problably have them looked at. Now that's to just fix it, you can take the oportunity to have it bored out and all and it'll go for a while longer. Really, I don't think it's ever worth it to sell a broken quad or bike, which is why I always buy them from people, fix em, and sell em. Plus it'll cost you alot more to buy a new quad than to have the motor work done.

meangeno69
09-01-2009, 03:54 AM
Basically I want more power and I want to do it in a way that is going to prolong the life of the bike. I have talked to a couple of people and they said if I bore it a little,replace piston with a better one and put a high compresion cam in it. It will act like a totaly differnt quad. And also get the valves checked and that should pretty much prolong the life a little. Also the quad runs great just worried about the hours.

IcutMetl
09-03-2009, 10:42 AM
In my opinion, it sounds like you maintain your 'wheeler well enough, so I say just take your motor out (if you can) or your whole bike to a shop and have them do a light bore/hone on your cylinder. Replace the piston with something that has a little more compression (not a ton more). Have them replace your cam with one that suits your riding style. Have your cam chain replaced. At the very least, have your head inspected- valve seats, springs, etc. If you've got a little money to spare, have the head disassembled, a light porting job, new springs, valves, guides, etc. If you don't already have one, get a slip-on pipe at the least, and take your airbox lid off or cut some holes in it. Have your carb jetted, and whambo...you will be riding a 'wheeler with an entirely new attitude! Unless you're hooked on spending cabbage on a new 4-wheeler, I say keep your Predator running strong. If you stay mild on the compression, your reliability should be more than enough.

hybrid.mx.11
09-15-2009, 06:31 PM
saturday let e very unexperienced friend ride an 03 and he put flipped it into my pond about 70 percent of the quad was in the water made sure there was no water in the intake real quick fired it up and left it alone took it to a small woods race and i cased it hard on a 30 ft double owner gets on and keeps riding (buddy race) we finished in 3rd i use to own it rode it hard on the roads and even in town (no b.s.) he got it rides it just as hard hasnt had any service still runs like a champ RING IT CHECK YOUR TOP END ADJUST VALVES MAYBE SEATS QUICK HONE AND KEEP RIDING
true story.