PDA

View Full Version : Curtis Sparks Advance Key

11-20-2001, 06:59 PM
I just got the curtis sparks advance key for my 400 today. However, my $#!$%$#! dog ate the box! I found the key and part of the invoice in the driveway. What else is shipped with the key? I was hoping for instructions and a bolt to remove the flywheel. Does anyone know? Thanks :( :confused: :(

TrX465
11-20-2001, 10:18 PM
i would advise against the key unless your runnin alcohol your motor will run hotter with the advance key and theyve been haven probs where there spinning so if you do put it on tightn the bolt for the flywheel tight

honda4life
11-21-2001, 06:57 AM
They've had problems with them spinning? I haven't heard that. Anyway it should have included a bolt to remove the flywheel, I didn't get instructions. Aboutsix months ago someone posted instrucions in here about the instalation, that is what I used...might want to search the archives.:)

11-21-2001, 07:19 AM
Need the gasket for the case cover, (not in the kit). Hardest parts to the install are scraping old gasket off carefully to avoid gouging the sealing surfaces on case and cover. And tightening that flywheel up, need a buddy with a big wrench to hold the crank, and put a little weight behind it. I've had mine in for a while now, I like the quicker revs, I ride hard and in AZ haven't had any problems.

booneTRX
11-21-2001, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by TrX465
i would advise against the key unless your runnin alcohol your motor will run hotter with the advance key and theyve been haven probs where there spinning so if you do put it on tightn the bolt for the flywheel tight

Why would a detuned XR motor heat up when you bring the motor back to the original timing????

Just run a 9 plug if you are worried. You dont need instructions. Just pull the side cover, careful of the starter gear. Use an impact wrench to pull the flywheel off. Clean stuff thoroughly, place key from sparks on crank, slip flywheel on till you cant push it. Replace bolt finger tight. Turn the flywheel CCW till the key stops it. Slowly tighten flywheel bolt while repeatedly stopping to pound with a rubber hammer. Keep tightening till you hit torque spec.:cool:

TrX465
11-21-2001, 12:07 PM
welll all i know is when i put my 465 all together it spun completely shaved the hole key off resulting in a couple other things as well but my dad said he didnt tightn it enough so whatever.i might get another one and try it again and im not worried about temp no more since im runnin alcohol