PDA

View Full Version : What Kind of A-arms should i get?

08-02-2001, 09:17 PM
I was lookin into aftermarket shocks when i noticed that if i got +2 a-arms in the future i would also have to get new shocks so im thinkin of just going ahead and buyin aftermarket a-arms. Any suggestions for a brand?

PS I might be ridin MX in the future but now Im mainly jumping and ridin hard.

Dave400ex
08-02-2001, 09:34 PM
Laeger`s a-arms. Nac`s has them for 577.50. A lot of the top guys use his products. You could just get the Lobo front end. What kind of shocks do you plan on getting?

08-02-2001, 09:41 PM
Im thinkin Works Steelers (rezzy) or Pro-series (both triple rates) but some people suggested axis.

Dave400ex
08-02-2001, 09:44 PM
Axis is the way to go but I would buy PEPs before Axis.

400exRacerX
08-02-2001, 09:54 PM
if you got the money the best and hottest mx setup for the 400ex is the lobo front end (roll design). i would get the +3 lobo front end and axis shock kit for 2,500.

kabd69667
08-03-2001, 06:03 AM
Personally, i like lonestar. I think that 2500 is way too much to spend on arms and shocks. Get pep zps. They are great shocks.

08-03-2001, 06:25 AM
Houser Racing..........:D

kabd69667
08-03-2001, 05:33 PM
any kind is better than stock. It's all personal prefference and how much money you have in your pocket

08-03-2001, 08:22 PM
Ive seen a thing in Alba Racing for Yamaha for a life time gaurantee on some a-arms does any popular name brands provide this garauntee if your not racing?

Dave400ex
08-04-2001, 06:58 PM
Let us know what a-arms you end up getting.

Foxrage
08-04-2001, 08:09 PM
Houser Racing

08-04-2001, 08:21 PM
kabd69667:
Personally, i like lonestar. I think that 2500 is way too much to spend on arms and shocks. Get pep zps. They are great shocks.

i also personally liked lonestar a-arms (im not sure what shocks) but anyway i heard people have snapped these also, if this is true, are they crap?

:confused:

EX_RIDER
08-05-2001, 08:45 AM
I got a friend who has the lone star front a-arms on his 400ex.Here are some problems he had.

1.When he got them,the shock mounts were 5mm off and couldn't not be use,Lone star would not take them back cause he all ready had them on his quad.So he had to get a machine shop to make a shcok bracket for that side.
2.He has broke least 2 bolt joints on both sides.(top outside one)
He is getting sick of replacing them all the time.He is getting ready to have his uncle to make him some ball joints in a machine shop over in germany that will not break as easy.
3.He took them off that 400ex and has them sitting in a box till he can get stronger ball joints.And then he will put them on his other 400ex.
4.I my self don't think I can trust the lonestar a-arms after all this he has gone though.

BUT He is a hard jumper,That may have some thing to do with it and he has a HUGE moto track right in his field.

08-07-2001, 01:00 PM
i have some questions cause i have thought of a new front end
1. are the stock brake lines rubber or not,coulden't i got to a shop and have steel braid line with rubber coated cheaper than a aftermarket company.
2. I know zps shocks lower the quad so how do they do through whoops

08-07-2001, 01:13 PM
Well here's what I know,,,,I have a buddy with +2 houser arms (not anything forward like +1 just +2 wide that's it) and a +1 1/4 swingarm and he's still using stock breaklines and it's really not all that tight when the arms move around or the swingarm,,so it's not a must to replace the breaklines when you go with different A-arms but like I said if you go wider and forward then I think ya have too,,,

Now on the ZPS I'm not real sure,,,i'd say they work pretty good because almost all pros use ZPS shocks,,,they are weird though how they work..

08-12-2001, 01:13 PM
I strongly reccomend JD Racing arms. I recently purchased and installed them on my 400ex, and installation was a breeze. These arms are as functionable as they are solid and well crafted. When i ordered them the girl was extremely helpful, fielded any questions i may have had, including "Is it true that the fabricator works for Laeger?". The response? "Yes that's true, he's been working there for over 10 years, does all of the JD work in his shop, and actually puts more time and effort in to his arms than Laeger's." So after I got off the phone with her, 2 days later from California to Pennsylvania, swapping the package for $480 cash arrived these beauties. Gorgeous silvervein powdercoat, loads of stickers, and a box loaded with newspaper ensuring the highest quality that was put in the box stays that way. I can't say enough good about these guys, they have definately made me a happy camper. If you'd like to find out more about them, visit their webpage at www.jdperformanceatv.com. And no, I'm not employed by them :). I'll have pictures soon.

AlaskaSpeed
08-12-2001, 10:42 PM
Thanks for your info...I am pretty impressed with what I have heard about them, and now that your post is so positive; I look forward to talking with JD. I look forward to your pics....JIM

08-14-2001, 09:12 AM
I'm a houser racing products guy, but I too spoke with the lady at JD performance and if I didn't get the housers JD was my 2nd option,,,they are a good company and had nothing but good things to tell me and I was impressed with everything they offered and was very professional on the phone...

Reason I went with houser is I plan on running all Houser products, swingarm, steering post, wrist wrester and already have the arms...I just didn't wanna take a chance of mismatched powdercoating and why have all houser and 1 item from JD:confused:

08-14-2001, 10:48 AM
Debbie at JD gets a big thumbs up from me....As Rico said extremely nice and a pro over the phone. I ordered a set of A-Arms and she said would probably be about 2½ weeks as there were three others in front of me. I said cool but found mesage on my machine next day with the news of she had a set ready to go and the others in front of me didn't have the funds ready so if I wanted them to get in contact with her. Within 3 days I had my new A arms.

I have a houser swingarm ordered in the Grey Hammertone so I'll let ya know how close the colors are Rico just for S&G's :D

Later

08-14-2001, 11:02 AM
You got it man,,,,all my stuff will be in a red powdercoat,,,had to specially order the arms but the swingarms come in red with no special orders...so that's kewl...

08-14-2001, 04:11 PM
Here's those pics I promised. Sorry i didn't get any up close, I really never thought about that at the time, just wanted to get back to riding :) .

08-14-2001, 04:12 PM
And this.

callen74
08-14-2001, 08:30 PM
Another option that I haven't seen represented here are Burgard a-arms. I have them on my 400 and they are also a high quality product. They are the same geometry as Laeger a-arms without the zerk fittings and the high price. And they come in a nickle plated finish that looks like chrome. Mine are still shiny and I 've had them for about a year. My friend has the JD a-arms and they are a good product although he has had alot of ball joint problems. I would look into the Burgard or Houser a-arms. I have a Houser +1.25 swingarm and you can look at it and see the quality in their work. Here is a pic of the Burgards on my 400.

AlaskaSpeed
08-14-2001, 11:06 PM
hey guys,
I am stuck between the JD's and a brand you might not know of....Strong Arm. The quality seems superior to or equal to the others, but the ball joints and shock mounts seem better to me. you can check them out at www.hsdracing.com JIM

08-15-2001, 10:13 AM
Those look similiar to the way Houser makes his with the extra post going throught the middle by the frame mounts,, they look nice,,heck Jim try em out and let us know what ya think..

AlaskaSpeed
08-15-2001, 10:46 AM
Rico,
I will probably do that....they "look" like they would be worth a try and from what Mark at HSD Racing told me, there are some quality differences between the Strong Arms and other arms. I am no expert, but have been doing research looking for the best arm for the money. Rico, for MX racing; do you find that a +1.25" swingarm will be the right length? Just curious as I have looked at the Houser swingarm and it looks like a good deal. JIM

08-15-2001, 12:52 PM
I think the plus 1 1/4 will work just fine,,,for one it'll help keep your front end down out of the gate and while racing and it will probably help keep you more stable in the corners also..My racin buddy has the exact same thing as your looking at and he's not made one complaint about going a little longer,,,but you will need to get 2 more links to add to your chain cuz your stocker won't fit,,and also you might wanna get one of them TM design chain guids for like $45 bucks to help keep your chain wear down and help keep it from popping off.. I'll be ordering one the same day i order my new swingarm. And also if you've never seen a houser swingarm in person up close it looks like it;s indistructable,,it's a really nice looking quality made product that will never give ya problem...:D

rydes400ex
08-15-2001, 03:43 PM
callen,

where did you get your burgards and how m uch did you end up paying for them. im pretty sure those are the ones im gonna git

callen74
08-15-2001, 06:53 PM
rydes400ex, I got mine directly from Burgard's for $500. If I were you I would order from K and K ATV because they have some in stock. I believe they are $525 now. Go to their website kandkatv.com. Alaska 400ex, I posted a pic of my Houser 1.25 swingarm in a post titled "my swingarm cracked." You can see how beefy the swingarm is like Rico said. When I got it I was kinda mad to find out that it weighed so much more than my stocker but now I'm thankful because I know that it will handle the stress of mx.

08-16-2001, 08:29 AM
Yeah like 9 pounds heavier from what I was told,,,but like you said,, the cheapy light stocker arms will break under abbuse and if you break a houser swingarm I want pictures of what your jumping.:D :D :D

Dave400ex
08-26-2001, 01:39 PM
:) I just bought a New set of Laeger A-arms and they look so cool and were really easy to install, And well as far as price you pay for what you get.