View Full Version : Oil Bolt finally stripped........

RIDEREDson
08-14-2009, 11:26 AM
So I was wondering what size are you guys re-tapping the hole to? Are you using a different size oil drain bolt from like autozone or just a random bolt the same length as the original? I believe autozone has the next size up from the original. Its a m12 threads.

One_Bad_400
08-14-2009, 12:59 PM
someone needs to lay off the roids. just playin. but if you strip that out your over tightening it.

i would find the next size up (not too big) with a magnet on top.

RIDEREDson
08-14-2009, 01:30 PM
The next size up, that autozone had, was a m12 - 1.75mm.. The original bolt I had was m10 -1.25mm

RIDEREDson
08-14-2009, 04:30 PM
I got a m12 bolt but it looks so huge. It looks like its bigger then the circle spot under the case... I don't see how a washer would sit flush.

veenser2000
08-16-2009, 01:47 PM
I'm pretty sure you can buy heli-coils kits from rocky mountain for oil plugs and then you can use the existing bolt and it will be stronger. Just a thought.

One_Bad_400
08-16-2009, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by veenser2000
I'm pretty sure you can buy heli-coils kits from rocky mountain for oil plugs and then you can use the existing bolt and it will be stronger. Just a thought.

in my opinion i wouldnt put a heli-coil in a oil drain bolt. to risky. that bolt is one of the most important bolts on the bike. that thing comes out like my brothers did. your be replacing everything in about a month :o

RIDEREDson
08-17-2009, 12:45 AM
Yeah i've read thats not a good idea.

chad502ex
08-17-2009, 07:12 AM
Time-Sert oil drain kit is the best- no doubt!

After installation, this will be better than what it was before it got stripped....

You'll be able to tighten as tight as you want....

My only suggestion is to use lots of grease to catch any drill bit shavings... glob up the drill bit as much as possible with grease, then slowly drill, then clean the bits shavings, then regrease again....

After you use time-serts you wont ever use heli-coils again...

RIDEREDson
08-17-2009, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by chad502ex
Time-Sert oil drain kit is the best- no doubt!

After installation, this will be better than what it was before it got stripped....

You'll be able to tighten as tight as you want....

My only suggestion is to use lots of grease to catch any drill bit shavings... glob up the drill bit as much as possible with grease, then slowly drill, then clean the bits shavings, then regrease again....

After you use time-serts you wont ever use heli-coils again...

where do you get the time-sert oil drain kit?

cletusEX
08-17-2009, 09:23 PM
I heli-coiled mine and it came out alright. Went slow and made sure to get all the shavings out.

RIDEREDson
08-18-2009, 02:30 AM
I ended up tapping it two sizes bigger and it nice and tight now. I used a rubber washer also and no leaks!