PDA

View Full Version : What to look at when buying used?

Wrecked 400ex
08-14-2009, 11:16 AM
Okay so i have found a Suzuki Z400 for sale on craigslist. its and 2005 with nerf bars,front and rear bumpers,billet fuel cap,new handle bars,with a yoshi slip on and a skid plate. he wants 2300 obo and i was thinking about looking at it but i want to know more about the main problems on these suzukis since i have never seen one or road one. also is this a good deal or is to good? its also so got itp Mudlite Sp tires on the back. thanks...

drzoo2
08-14-2009, 06:55 PM
Seems like a good price based on year.

If the fronts tires are stock thats a good indication of the mileage. Also the amount of wear on the frame were your boots rub.

Check where the front shocks mount to the frame for severe stress. Also the under side of the frame. Look for bad bearings in the front and rear.

Ride it. Make sure it starts cold but ALSO make sure it starts HOT. Hard starting when warm may indicate excessively worn valves that may need to be replaced. Once they are cupped it's all over. Doesn't necessarily mean they are bad. May need to be shimmed. You won't be able to tell without actually measuring them. If you do measure them and they are 0 it's going to be valve work. Make sure it rides true. Tweaked stems, rims, a-arms and axle are all cheap and easy to replace. Well, the axle can be a pain.

Gotta pic or a link to the listing?

z

Wrecked 400ex
08-15-2009, 10:50 AM
i do have a link but its only got one picture but here is the link...suzuki 400 (http://dayton.craigslist.org/rvs/1315190700.html) thanks for the tips and ill be sure to check the starting and stuff thanks.

drzoo2
08-16-2009, 08:40 AM
Those rear tire need to GO! Hard to tell anything from picture.

z