PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal?

KillerKoatings
08-13-2009, 03:28 PM
Had my plastics off to check my valves and noticed some play in my steering stem. Ordered new bearings and took it off the quad and noticed that it is bent near the top. It does bend toward the driver so I did not know of it was suppose to be a little bent that way or if it is time for a new one. Thanks for the help guys.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2511/3818135785_894f7d0693.jpg

lilyamaharacer4
08-13-2009, 03:33 PM
Deff time for a new one

04TRX400EX
08-13-2009, 03:38 PM
A steering stem should never be bent, ever. Looks like it's time to contact your dealer or Motosport.com or something.

katch26
08-13-2009, 04:21 PM
is it normal for a 400...yes, is it normal for a steering stem...no. The stems on these things seem to bend pretty easily.

KillerKoatings
08-13-2009, 09:18 PM
So for a casual woods rider that may do some mild jumps like myself is it worth investing in a new aftermarket stem or should I just try to find a good deal on a used one.

KillerKoatings
08-13-2009, 11:54 PM
Another question guys. Which would be the best way to go, buy a new factory stem and use the rox antivibe risers or just buy an aftermarket stem w/ the anti vibe? I like the idea that the rox ones can be used w/ both size bars so there would be no need to buy another stem if I go to a fat bar one day.

aDviSol2y
08-14-2009, 09:05 AM
OEM stems are cheap on ebay. Trust me this will not be the only stem you will bend if you ride hard at all. I have bent my Lonestar stem, and had to bend it back. But every time you bend it, it becomes weaker. But on that note, OEM stems are piles of crap! They will bend if you hit a jump to hard and put your weight to hard on the front end. LOL! So I would go aftermarket. But they are spendy. You could always buy an OEM, cut it and weld a solid bar into the tube to give it more strength. The issue becomes, where is your weak point? When you wreck, you need a weak point, and most of the time you want it to be the cheapest part to replace. If you make all your components tougher than nails, you will crack your frame! Basically you need to asses your riding style, your budget and make a dicision.

katch26
08-14-2009, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by KillerKoatings
Another question guys. Which would be the best way to go, buy a new factory stem and use the rox antivibe risers or just buy an aftermarket stem w/ the anti vibe? I like the idea that the rox ones can be used w/ both size bars so there would be no need to buy another stem if I go to a fat bar one day.

go to the big bars when you replace the stem.....your idea sounds nice but really there's no benefit (other than cost) to be able to swap back and forth between the two sizes.

400man
08-15-2009, 07:44 PM
my steering stem was bent almost exactly like that, back and to the right. I just put the thing in a bench top vise with the handle bar clamps in the vise. then took a torch and carefully and slowly heated where it was bent till it got red hot, then grabbed it at the top (bottom of the steering stem when its bolted in) and put a little weight in and slowly bent it back straight. its almost perfect except its still a hair bent to the right. then let it cool down by itself then bolted it back in.

hypersnyper6947
08-17-2009, 07:18 AM
Just keep checking ebay for a nice aftermarket used one. Thats how i got my ROLL stem and i love it. The stock one bends REAL easy.