PDA

View Full Version : Looking to improve handling on 450x MX

craigmacphee
08-12-2009, 09:46 PM
I am looking at improving the handling on my 09 450 x MX. More specifically, I am looking at shocks and a steering stabilizer. I see ATV RIDER had Hygear respring and revalve, etc...the factory shocks and also installed a GPR stabilizer on their project quad. Have any of you utilized either one of these companies parts or services?

If not, what stabilizer and shock company are recommended for my quad? Price is not a question if the value is there.

Thanks in advance, Craig

xrxmxcx
08-12-2009, 10:39 PM
I'd have to say hands down Precision Pro, set it and forget it and no fading whatsoever!

Another thing, the more you think about your handling and fatigue, the more it gets to you, just go out there and ride!

ds450racer
08-13-2009, 08:28 AM
i found the precicion damper good for the first few months. then it got worse and worse. What ever you did to the screws on it it didnt change. and then it just got really stiff and you couldnt change it. And the price you pay for them is unbelievable. Ive got an alba damper on my bike. Its half the price and will do exactly the same thing. Its a hell of a lot easier to adjust as the nob you turn it just down on the lieft hand side of the bike so you can pretty much adjust it while riding.

blaster99
08-13-2009, 12:45 PM
You aren't going to get too much better than the stock set up shocks wise. The precision dampener makes a good difference, other than that, ride it stock, adjust your camber and caster to where you like it, and it will feel like any other aftermarket set up, if not better!

ltr311
08-13-2009, 08:12 PM
Call this number 3173194381 and talk to Ron. Tell him Anthony sent ya. he will get your bike dialed in for a very resonable amount. Trust me this guys is good.

craigmacphee
08-14-2009, 09:39 AM
What does he deal in? Shocks, steering, etc??

xrxmxcx
08-14-2009, 10:45 AM
What do you typically ride? MX and what skill level?

blaster99
08-14-2009, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by craigmacphee
What does he deal in? Shocks, steering, etc??

he does some pretty cool shock work.

Harkes2k
08-14-2009, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by ltr311
Call this number 3173194381 and talk to Ron. Tell him Anthony sent ya. he will get your bike dialed in for a very resonable amount. Trust me this guys is good.

I have anthonys quad now... and if you can get a quad to handle like this your going to be a very happy man.

craigmacphee
08-16-2009, 03:15 PM
I race MX, B class. I am limited by motor, my weight, and my experience. (51-52 HP, 240-250lbs, and 1st year racing) I just built a REAL DEAL full size practice track (7/10ths mile) for my boys and I but I can't see myself racing any higher than that level in the near future. :)

For a fat old guy, I don't do too bad though. LOL

rocketronracing
08-16-2009, 07:52 PM
give me call on your shocks i can help thanks ron 317 319 4381

xrxmxcx
08-16-2009, 08:01 PM
I don't want to sound rude but you might want to go over your setup by yourself to get the bike where it is supposed to be for your weight and basic front end settings. Part II of setting up your stock suspension might be a revalve, or like everyone mentioned a spring upgrade and shock modification.

Only speaking from experience, but I was running an incorrect ride height and it made a night and day difference in how my bike handled, and how I rode.

6 and 3/4" at the footpegs UNDER the skidplate, and 7&1/2" at the front nerfbar mount UNDER the skidplate as well, of course with you on the bike, 2 man setup job is easier.....

setting on your shock set at the middle for both, counts the total clicks then reset them to center

just some info to feed your brain, not trying to criticize anyone...

craigmacphee
08-17-2009, 09:57 AM
I don't mind suggestions at all.

When I set the quad up, we did the two man thing, and had a 6 3/4 and 7 1/4 ride height. A bit off from what you spoke of, but we were/are close. I am aware that a respring job is in my future. The problems that I am coming across is the turnaround time. I fully understand that it is the middle of the summer and everyone is busy as all get out. I just cannot afford to miss out on the race time. I have 3 races to go in my series and I am 2nd in points overall.

Thanks for your suggestions. Craig

ThePhantomRider
08-19-2009, 02:19 AM
Keep it stock, blow the motor since they are about good for one weekend at the track, then throw in a 250 2stroke and your handling will improve dramatically once the settings are done.

Light bike equals better handling.

TPR

WoodsRacer16
08-19-2009, 09:59 AM
GO TO SHY RACING SUSPENSION.COM AND CHECK THIS GUYS. IF YOU TELL HIM DANIEL WIMBERLEY SENT U TO HIM. I BELIEVE HE WILL TRY TO GET YOU A DEAL.PEACE MAN.

rocketronracing
08-21-2009, 05:42 PM
give me a call i can help thanks ron