PDA

View Full Version : Chevy Trailblazer or Ford Explorer?

KevinAb
08-12-2009, 07:07 PM
My company decided to give me a vehicle. I get the choice between 2 existing fleet vehicles-

1) 2002 Explorer- V-8, 4wd, leather, sunroof, 97k miles.

2) 2006 Trailblazer- V-6, cloth interior, 2wd, 40k? miles...

I haven't driven the Trailblazer yet. I've only really seen it in the parking lot, don't know a thing about them. Are they ok? I'm used to my F250 diesel, but after driving the Explorer for a day- it feels like a rocket.

Which would you choose? If I take the Explorer (older, more miles) maybe I can run it in the ground then pick it's replacement ;)

Doober
08-12-2009, 07:17 PM
I had an 05 Trailblazer and it was junk, I couldnt even turn the brights on because every single light in the vehicle would shut off and their was multiple other things as well.

My buddy had a explorer and it was ok but he had multiple problems with that as well. maybe we just had two lemons or something, but i would probably go with the explorer.

toby400ex
08-12-2009, 08:15 PM
I vote for the explorer. Ive always been a Ford guy. The trailblazers look like a minivan with truck wheels on them.

powermadd400ex
08-12-2009, 10:47 PM
DO NOT get the trailblazer we had a model exactly the same as you are considering except it was an 03. it was crap, the v6 engine chugs gas like crazy. the chassis is just to big for that engine.. i hated driving it. but thats just my 2 cents.

scuzz
08-13-2009, 07:50 AM
Um...it's a straight six.

4.2 liters in-line 6 front engine with 93 mm bore, 102 mm stroke, 10.3 compression ratio

291 HP SAE @ 6,000 rpm

http://www.internetautoguide.com/car-specifications/09-int/2006/chevrolet/trailblazer/index.html

After having to POS Ford's I'll never go back.

I had an explorer limited that would randomly turn the windshield wipers on (or off), it would only idle at a redlight if you had your foot on the gas plus everything electrical was failing including the radio.

The Expedition I had was such a piece of crap I can't even begin to write it all. When I traded it for my Subuirban I literally danced.

But that's all beside the point...

You can't tow anything from uhaul with an explorer.

The Trailblazer has a built in receiver hitch. (Tow anything you want within reason)

Regular_Joe
08-13-2009, 10:02 AM
When I was looking for an SUV to pull the 6x12 enclosed trailer, around town beater, and something reliable I ended up with the Explorer. I think it is the best selling SUV or something. I couldn't find good reviews of the TrailBlazer at all. We ended up with an 2003 Loaded one. Power everything, 60k miles, leather, DVD, tow package, V8, etc. So far so good and we haven't had any issues with it. Having the AWD the thing takes off like a rocket vs spinning the tires. That is nice when you need to enter traffic fast or when its wet/raining out. You can really romp on it more that you normally would a 2WD car since it would spin.

byrdman37876
08-13-2009, 10:37 AM
My brother has an AWD explorer with a 302. been a good vehicle for him and it pulls a boat or trailer with ease.

if it were an escape vs explorer then that would make it a hard decision but its not so i would go explorer all the way.

ben300
08-13-2009, 05:29 PM
im on my second explorer...first was a 1997 that i beat the hell out of and drove for three years....now my brother drives it, beats the hell out of it...and five years, 170xxxK on the engine...its still running pretty strong and holding up...all weve had to do with it is changed a torque converter (was liek that when i got it) and an alternator....its been pretty tough..

my 01 explorer, i just got it on the 4th of july.....so i cant say to much other than its super clean..and i like it so far.

..ive heard great things about the trailblazers/envoys...and ive heard bad things...ive neve owned one....

i would naturally say get the explorer, but htey both suck gas, so go with the newer one with less miles...trailblazer

ryansblaster
08-14-2009, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by KevinAb
My company decided to give me a vehicle. I get the choice between 2 existing fleet vehicles-

I haven't driven the Trailblazer yet. I've only really seen it in the parking lot, don't know a thing about them. Are they ok? I'm used to my F250 diesel, but after driving the Explorer for a day- it feels like a rocket.

Which would you choose? If I take the Explorer (older, more miles) maybe I can run it in the ground then pick it's replacement ;)

we have an 05 trailblazer 4wd and I love it we have never had any problems with it and it has 99k miles on it now

XCRacer236
08-14-2009, 03:50 PM
my mom has a 2000 awd Explorer v8. 147000 miles on it. its been drivin hard. across the country more then once. and i drove it for the first couple months i had my license. it actually got totaled a few years ago. we ended up having it fixed and even after that it still has been a great vehicle.

08-14-2009, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by KevinAb

your stupid not to jump in that explorer, weve had three , loved them all

my grandma has an 06 and it sux! its ugly and the power will disappoint you

08-14-2009, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by scuzz
Um...it's a straight six.

4.2 liters in-line 6 front engine with 93 mm bore, 102 mm stroke, 10.3 compression ratio

291 HP SAE @ 6,000 rpm

http://www.internetautoguide.com/car-specifications/09-int/2006/chevrolet/trailblazer/index.html

After having to POS Ford's I'll never go back.

I had an explorer limited that would randomly turn the windshield wipers on (or off), it would only idle at a redlight if you had your foot on the gas plus everything electrical was failing including the radio.

The Expedition I had was such a piece of crap I can't even begin to write it all. When I traded it for my Subuirban I literally danced.

But that's all beside the point...

You can't tow anything from uhaul with an explorer.

The Trailblazer has a built in receiver hitch. (Tow anything you want within reason)

he didnt ask your opinion

KevinAb
08-14-2009, 07:41 PM
Well, I was misinformed about the Trailblazer, it's a 2008, 6-cyl, 4wd, 20k miles. I was encouraged to take it, so that's what I got. I do think the Explorer is a nicer ride, but it was showing it's age. It's been a fleet vehicle for a while, and looked like it.

Maybe I'm a Ford guy, but if I had been given the choice between an 08 Explorer and this, I'd take the Explorer, hands down. The Chevy seems cheezy. The Ford is nicer, just older.

KevinAb
08-14-2009, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by mxcowboy
he didnt ask your opinion

I thought I asked everyone's opinion when I started any thread-? ;)