PDA

View Full Version : Ever since my wreck...

Jake250ex
08-12-2009, 01:01 PM
A few months ago I had a pretty bad crash. I made a thread about it on here after I got home..

Anyway, it's defenitely still affecting me and I think has changed me. This is gonna be a 2 part post...

part 1 - head injury. laugh if you want but I feel my brain works at half the speed it did before my crash. It's nothing major, but I feel I cant read near as well as I was able to before, and the worst part that kind of scares me is I get lost alot and kinda forget where I am. As an example the other day, I went to tractory supply company in my hometown - a place I have been to several times. Well I totally forget where it is and have to call my dad and ask. So often i forget what im doing while im in the middle of something. And if I set something down, i'll search for hours to find it. Its nothing huge i guess, pothead symptoms i'd compare it to, but the thing is im not. I was told it may have been the painkillers I was on... well that theory doesnt fit cause ive been off of em for months now.

I did have a severe concussion but was told I had no parmanet damage. It was my first time ever having one or being knocked out, it was pretty scarry. Having people tell me the crazy things I was saying when I woke up... I do remember the VERY first thing I did was sat up and looked at a guy and told him I didn't remember where I worked.

part 2 - confidence. And this is what kills me. I traded my 07 450R that I crashed for pretty done up 04. And have tried to make a comeback into racing. And Im having a hell of a time. On a mx track that I would have had a blast on before I just felt so out of place and thought worst case scenario about everything. "I'd hit it but im afraid in gonna clip the landing and go over the bars" I rolled things I wouldn't have thought about before. ALLLL I can think about is ending up parylzed. And now im pressuring myself to the point of I'm ready to give it up.

Anway, I was curious if anyone else has been through anything like this. I've thought so much about hangin up my helmet lately but I just wouldn't know what to do if i did.

johnnyquad17
08-12-2009, 01:20 PM
I had a bad crash and have never been as fast or as confident. For some people it is almost impossible to forget. I still ride but not as aggresive and I quit racing. I am also older and just started a family so my priorities have changed. I still enjoy riding just at a slower pace. If you are constantly worried about having a severe injury I would reccomend not racing anymore. With time it will get better. Good luck and be safe!

8my_Cash
08-12-2009, 01:29 PM
It sounds like to me you might have PTSD when dealing with annxiety mainly on the PART 2.

I had it with my accident a few years back, and i still do.....and my accident wasnt riding related, so i understand it.

godzilla
08-12-2009, 02:37 PM
edit...should have read a little further.

:o

Severe concussion after effects can be felt for years after they happen...headaches, loss of memory, sensitivity to light, etc can all be symptoms that you can feel for some time afterwards.

The best bet is to see your doctor and discuss what is happening, but it certainly sounds like the concussion is the culprit.

I’ve suffered enough of them to relate with what you are going through.

rappin_ernie
08-12-2009, 02:41 PM
I never had an accident on an atv or dirt bike as bad as yours sounds, but here is what I have to say. When I was about 12 years, I crashed on a dirtbike going about 40 miles per hour. After that I was so scared of dirt bikes. Then I met a new friend who told me, "when you go down, you have to just get back on and go, don't even think about it. "
So when I was a Breezewood, I went off a tabletop, landed on my grab bar and rolled three times. I was really shaken up, but I pushed my bike off to the side, checked myself, and my bike. I thought about what my friend said and got back on my bike. I rode all balls out for the rest of the day and have improved my riding skills since.
Now I'm not saying if you crash and you gushing blood or there's a bone sticking out of you you should hop back on, but you can't think of the past. Fearing what can happen is the worst thing you can do. Just hop back on your 450r and ride like hell!

Basically what I'm trying to say, is you can't fear crashing, or it will always haunt you and you will never reach your full potential.

I really hope this helps man!

fastredrider44
08-12-2009, 02:58 PM
I had a buddy that took a pretty good spill. He ended up selling the bike cause he was kinda scared. I took a pretty good one at the beginning of June. I had a regular concussion... Not bad, not mild either though. I decided not to take any pain medicine for my head, and within about 2 weeks, I was ready to start wrenching on the bike so I could ride again. It's almost like it never happened for me.

450rRacer22
08-12-2009, 03:02 PM
I can kinda relate as to what your going through. Back in like 06 i think it was when i first started getting into mx, i went off a tabletop and thats really all i remember. I guess my friends found me with my quad on top of me and pinned against a rock. I ended up in the hospital and had to stay over night. I suffered a concussion and tore up my back pretty bad. Ever since then i've had some memory issues as well. I'll do stuff during the weekend and then on Monday at work my supervisor will ask me what i did over the weekend and i cant even remember. Even focusing on something seems almost impossible for me, like if someone is talking to me i just cant seem to focus in. Multitasking seems to be a struggle sometimes to depending on what it is. Its just little things that never would have affected me before that i find myself struggling with now and its kinda difficult to deal with. As far as riding goes however, i jumped back on my quad that same week and took for a lil spin even though i wasnt supposed to. It never affected my riding at all i actually started going bigger after it happened and by the next year i was racing in A class. I guess its just how you look at things and its probly different for everyone but i would think second guessing yourself would put you in a more dangerous position than before. Your gonna get all fired up for that jump you wanna hit, and then at the last second your gonna start thinking about your wreck and you'll lose all your focus on what your doing. Thats kinda how i see it i guess. Theres just some things that you need to put behind you and never think about again, this would be one of them. Always think positive.

250x_kyle
08-12-2009, 04:07 PM
like someone else said just gotta get back on and go for it. i got a concussion from getting bucked off after comming up short and i got one boxing with full head gear and everything on. as you said hearing some of the things you said is scary. it takes some time to heal it doesnt just happen over night.

and as you said about setting things down and forgetting it ive lost all kinds of things.

gcart2
08-12-2009, 04:10 PM
ever thought about throwing in the towel? its a dangerous sport and is not for everyone. I wouldn't think twice about somebody if they told me they were done with it.

find a new hobby. fishing. hunting. maybe drag racing.

idk.

just sayin man, not trying to be rude at all!!

LTandRaptorider
08-12-2009, 04:38 PM
Some older members may remember my bad accident almost 5 years ago. Wrecked my LT250r. To this day I have no idea what happened. I was flown to an ICU, moved to CCU the next day, checked myself out on the 3rd day. All this I am told. I lost about a week of memory. I had swelling and bleeding of 3 lobes of the brain, bruised right lung, bunch of broken bones. For the next 6 months my short term memory was non-existent. Even my equilibrium was affected. I had to re-learn writing the number "5". My sense of taste was affected. After about 6 months I got better. But better is the best I can say, I have not recovered fully. About 2 months ago I hit my head at work. I was in a daze the rest of the day, since then my short-term got a little worse again. The point of this is... That was a very bad hit to my head. And not the first time my noggin took a hit. The effects compound with more hits and over time. You are young, and I assume the first big hit to your head? First, get back to the doc, tell him or her what you are experiencing. They will likely prescribe therapy, do it. Then decide if you want to continue to ride. Like someone else said, this is a dangerous sport. And no one should bust balls for someone hanging up their helmet after a bad crash. Yes, I got back into riding and some racing. The accident didn't and hasn't affected me mentally. But that is me. Of course had I hung my helmet up, I wouldn't have broken 6 bones in my back and 4 ribs at a flat track race 2 years ago... But that's another story! :p

To sum up... Get to the doc. Do what they tell you to do. Then decide about riding. :cool:

Lehr 110
08-12-2009, 04:49 PM
ive had too many concussions to count and i get lightheaded often and have a terrible memory.

just ride for fun and dont worry about having to hit every jump out there

08-12-2009, 06:13 PM
ive landed on my grab bar once it friken sucked and hurt.....but u guys have been through some serious stuff that i hope never happens to me.....and rappin ernie after filppin ur guad and jus jumpin back on and ride like hell......thats dedication right there.....

Quad18star
08-12-2009, 07:47 PM
Anything to do with the brain is something serious. Tell your doctor about all your symptoms .

As far as being nervous after an accident ... I think it happens to most of us. I sold my sport quad after my accident and got a 4x4... because I don't think I'd be out trying to jump things anymore . I'm also a very cautious driver now that it happened to me . I'm not nervous about my abilities , but about the abilities of other drivers ( I got hit by a dirtbike rider while on my ATV) . An accident definately changes you.

ben300
08-12-2009, 08:24 PM
i wrecked my foreman near the end of a poker run in marienville, pa in october of 2004. I roled the quad and got up fine, but felt really weird. when i coulding physicalll get my self onto the quad, my budy rushed for help. last thing i remebered was a man and a woman talking tome on the road. i was taken to clarion hospital, and then to shady side in pittsburgh cause clarions cat scans were showing i had brain damage, it turned out i had a pretty sever concussion. non the less, they kept me in the hospital for a few days. i honestly woke from the accident and coudlnt remember what happend the past couple of months. from ppl telling me things, i slowly got my memory back.

what really affected me, was the long term problems from teh accident. I became extremely lethargic after my crash and had absolutly no ambition. i also came down, with what i would digonose myslef with as an extremely bad case of ADD. i would zone out for long periods of time. this drastically affected my peformance in school. my grades kinda slipt becuase of this. the worse part was, about two weeks after my accident, i ended up having a coupdl of small seizures. my doctor suspened my lincense as a consequence. after a few months, i got my driving privilages back, but i stil showed attention problems from my accident for teh better part of two and a half years afterwards. i still at times find that when i will be talkign abou things, even things that i am well versed in, i will have to stop and think for a second what i was talkign about and what i am goign to say next.

concussions or any type of brian injuries are a scary thing. You should definitally take care of your head, but dont let it limit you in your goals and aspirations.

08-12-2009, 10:28 PM
I can definately relate. came up short on a small step up sort of jump at mill creek in january. woke up with 30 people around me laying in the dirt. I had no idea where i was, how I got there, what day it was, anything. broke 3 vertebrae and i guess i had a concussion i really dont remember. but anyways, the next time a went to practice (5 - 6 months later), i was almost sick to my stomach when we were about 10 minutes from the track because i was so nervous. First lap i rolled every single jump on the track just getting a feel for things i guess. Being over cautious and what not, cause yeah i was really scared to come up short again. About the 4th lap I started hitting jumps then i eventually got back in my groove and the whole time after that there was not a thought in my head except, hell yeah, Im f***in back dude! I am now faster than i was and a smarter rider. You just have to conquer your mind, just think, before you crashed, you weren't scared. why should you be now? If you truly love quads and they are your passion then stick with it and you will get over it eventually. But if not, and you hesitate on the face of a jump or are not completely into it then i would at least give it a break for a while. Just my .02

madskrillz2
08-13-2009, 12:44 PM
The only way you can get over your second problem is to just go for it. I know it's a lot easier said than done, but that's the only way I've learned to get over things. After I wreck on something, I get right back up and make myself do it again. Hah, as long as you or the quad isn't busted up. As soon as you land it you'll be telling yourself "Hey that wasn't so bad after all".

usp4u
08-13-2009, 02:07 PM
My best freind suffered a severe head injury last summer on his 450r(it was two months old no less). It took him a month for him to walk 100ft. He was told the another head injury could be life threatening. He is back to work after 5 months of therapy. All I can say is thank god for side-by-sides. He bought a RZR and is having a blast with it. I cant imagine how depressed he would be if he didnt have that thing.

SRH
08-13-2009, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Jake250ex
A few months ago I had a pretty bad crash. I made a thread about it on here after I got home..

Anyway, it's defenitely still affecting me and I think has changed me. This is gonna be a 2 part post...

part 1 - head injury. laugh if you want but I feel my brain works at half the speed it did before my crash. It's nothing major, but I feel I cant read near as well as I was able to before, and the worst part that kind of scares me is I get lost alot and kinda forget where I am. As an example the other day, I went to tractory supply company in my hometown - a place I have been to several times. Well I totally forget where it is and have to call my dad and ask. So often i forget what im doing while im in the middle of something. And if I set something down, i'll search for hours to find it. Its nothing huge i guess, pothead symptoms i'd compare it to, but the thing is im not. I was told it may have been the painkillers I was on... well that theory doesnt fit cause ive been off of em for months now.

I did have a severe concussion but was told I had no parmanet damage. It was my first time ever having one or being knocked out, it was pretty scarry. Having people tell me the crazy things I was saying when I woke up... I do remember the VERY first thing I did was sat up and looked at a guy and told him I didn't remember where I worked.

part 2 - confidence. And this is what kills me. I traded my 07 450R that I crashed for pretty done up 04. And have tried to make a comeback into racing. And Im having a hell of a time. On a mx track that I would have had a blast on before I just felt so out of place and thought worst case scenario about everything. "I'd hit it but im afraid in gonna clip the landing and go over the bars" I rolled things I wouldn't have thought about before. ALLLL I can think about is ending up parylzed. And now im pressuring myself to the point of I'm ready to give it up.

Anway, I was curious if anyone else has been through anything like this. I've thought so much about hangin up my helmet lately but I just wouldn't know what to do if i did.

i broke my back last summer got paralyzed, still am, never be 100% again unless they do something with technology, didnt phase me as far as riding, trust me tho, i could of been riding for 5 million a yr, top guy in the sport and i wouldnt of felt as tho it was worth it, the way i look at it tho if you live afraid you let fear run your life, you either do that or become numb to it and fear nothing, you also cant think if i was to get paralyzed racing...but i quit racing the day before and decided to go to a club that night instead....how do i know it wouldnt of happened like that? none of us, religous or not really know are path is laid out for us ahead of time , i still ride, crash didnt phase me, however i no longer feel its worth it to push it that little extra bit

5 yrs ago however a buddy of mine crashed and i was the first one to him and he was out cold breathing all rough , got landed on by 4 quads in a row , i wasnt right for at least a yr....but young enough and dumb enough to not let it phase me, since then no matter how hard i wrecked didnt phase my speed in the least, but look what happened, its a dangerous sport...if you love it i woudlnt stop, just dont take it to that level

the way you put it tho,id quit, youve made up your mind that the risk is no longer worth it and i dont blame you, get a quad to ride for fun and just enjoy yourself, no real reason to push yourself on a motocross track if you dont desire to be the best

RIDEREDson
08-13-2009, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by SRH
i broke my back last summer got paralyzed, still am, never be 100% again unless they do something with technology, didnt phase me as far as riding, trust me tho, i could of been riding for 5 million a yr, top guy in the sport and i wouldnt of felt as tho it was worth it, the way i look at it tho if you live afraid you let fear run your life, you either do that or become numb to it and fear nothing, you also cant think if i was to get paralyzed racing...but i quit racing the day before and decided to go to a club that night instead....how do i know it wouldnt of happened like that? none of us, religous or not really know are path is laid out for us ahead of time , i still ride, crash didnt phase me, however i no longer feel its worth it to push it that little extra bit

5 yrs ago however a buddy of mine crashed and i was the first one to him and he was out cold breathing all rough , got landed on by 4 quads in a row , i wasnt right for at least a yr....but young enough and dumb enough to not let it phase me, since then no matter how hard i wrecked didnt phase my speed in the least, but look what happened, its a dangerous sport...if you love it i woudlnt stop, just dont take it to that level

the way you put it tho,id quit, youve made up your mind that the risk is no longer worth it and i dont blame you, get a quad to ride for fun and just enjoy yourself, no real reason to push yourself on a motocross track if you dont desire to be the best

If you dont mind me asking, how did you break your back?

SRH
08-13-2009, 08:02 PM
i was passing another rider over a step up, the other rider was just jumping on to the top and i was jumping to the other side, he crossed into my line i landed on him and bailed mid air landing in the flats on the other side of the jump on my *** and crushed my vertabre

Jake250ex
08-14-2009, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by SRH

I hate to hear that man. So your still riding though?

Well, for those of you that didn't read my post a i made a few months age... I didnt have insurance when I crashed. Actually, I got up after a couple minutes and rode back to my truck. I was gonna keep riding that day but my hiper was broke in half from hitting the a arm. I loaded up the quad and drove 2 hours back home. :ermm:

So I get home and my voice sounds strange and my side hurts. Not to mention I have a cold at the time so I'm coughing and sneezing. I was gonna go try to sleep it off until my dad asks me why I'm home so ealry and I reply with a voice sounding like froggy from the little rascals.

So they make me go to the er. I never got an official count but I broke several ribs on my right side, broke my collarbone, concussion, punctured lung, torn ACL, dislocated knee cap and for whatever reason the tops of my hands had almost no skin on them. I took my gloves off and dumped blood out. Spent a week at one then was transfered the the trauma unit downtown.

I honestly dont remember anything about the crash, after the takeoff. I was hitting a pretty good size (im guessin 50-70ft) natural downhill at badlands. I had a spotter and everything. So I smashed it good and looked down and saw someone coming up the hill... you can figure the rest out.

Another thing that blows is of course I had no health insurance. $60k in debt and counting, new bills keep showing up but honestly thats the least of my worries right now.

Its comforting to hear that I'm not the only one thats gone thru this. I get kinda freaked thinking about it. The other day I went to use a ATM and sat there forever trying to remember a pin number ive used a thousand times.

Here's the thing. Im a XC racer and I can ride woods all day and never feel nervous. Its just with mx, which i did for fun. I can still hit the creek jumps we have set up at the races and stuff its just anything where I gotta be flyin to clear it, or downhills where I cant see the landing im not big on anymore.

I got to thinking about it the other day, and its a cruel sport. I cant begin to count up how much time and money I have wrapped up in it. And this is the reward? I just wanna go back to were it was fun, just to go out and ride. Not to were im sitting sizing up a jump wondering what the consequence will be if I dont ace it. I wish I could get rid of the competitive side that makes me want to one up everyone and makes me feel like I always gotta go big and prove something

Jake250ex
08-14-2009, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by ben300

what really affected me, was the long term problems from teh accident. I became extremely lethargic after my crash and had absolutly no ambition. i also came down, with what i would digonose myslef with as an extremely bad case of ADD. i would zone out for long periods of time. this drastically affected my peformance in school. my grades kinda slipt becuase of this. the worse part was, about two weeks after my accident, i ended up having a coupdl of small seizures. my doctor suspened my lincense as a consequence. after a few months, i got my driving privilages back, but i stil showed attention problems from my accident for teh better part of two and a half years afterwards. i still at times find that when i will be talkign abou things, even things that i am well versed in, i will have to stop and think for a second what i was talkign about and what i am goign to say next.

concussions or any type of brian injuries are a scary thing. You should definitally take care of your head, but dont let it limit you in your goals and aspirations.

Im feeling the EXACT same thing man :ermm: I lost my job when I got outta the hospital and I haven't done much of anything but sit around since.

Jake250ex
08-14-2009, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
Some older members may remember my bad accident almost 5 years ago. Wrecked my LT250r. To this day I have no idea what happened. I was flown to an ICU, moved to CCU the next day, checked myself out on the 3rd day. All this I am told. I lost about a week of memory. I had swelling and bleeding of 3 lobes of the brain, bruised right lung, bunch of broken bones. For the next 6 months my short term memory was non-existent. Even my equilibrium was affected. I had to re-learn writing the number "5". My sense of taste was affected. After about 6 months I got better. But better is the best I can say, I have not recovered fully. About 2 months ago I hit my head at work. I was in a daze the rest of the day, since then my short-term got a little worse again. The point of this is... That was a very bad hit to my head. And not the first time my noggin took a hit. The effects compound with more hits and over time. You are young, and I assume the first big hit to your head? First, get back to the doc, tell him or her what you are experiencing. They will likely prescribe therapy, do it. Then decide if you want to continue to ride. Like someone else said, this is a dangerous sport. And no one should bust balls for someone hanging up their helmet after a bad crash. Yes, I got back into riding and some racing. The accident didn't and hasn't affected me mentally. But that is me. Of course had I hung my helmet up, I wouldn't have broken 6 bones in my back and 4 ribs at a flat track race 2 years ago... But that's another story! :p

To sum up... Get to the doc. Do what they tell you to do. Then decide about riding. :cool:

I actually to remember reading about that!

and yep, it was my first big hit. It was crazy, becuase I posted on another forum about how everyone in this game always has the "big one" that they tell about. At the point, I posted that I was fortunate enough to be telling people that I hadnt had mine.

And it pisses me off that this wasnt my fault. If it wasnt for the idiot coming up the hill, OR my spotter telling me not to hit it, this thread wouldnt be here. I guess its part of riding.

usp4u
08-14-2009, 02:21 PM
SRH, are you saying that you were jumping a blind downhill and someone was coming up it the wrong way ?:eek2:

Jake250ex
08-14-2009, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by usp4u
SRH, are you saying that you were jumping a blind downhill and someone was coming up it the wrong way ?:eek2:

Nope, that was me

usp4u
08-14-2009, 02:25 PM
oops, seriously though that's crazy.

fastredrider44
08-14-2009, 02:37 PM
I'm getting some help on my medical bills from my wreck/concussion from June. Ask your Hospital about financial aid, It is a headache, but it is worth it. Trust me!

Tommy Warren
08-15-2009, 01:04 AM
when i was 9 or 10 I was playing under my snowmobile trailer with a Tonka truck( I wasn't as lucky as smittank to have a 250ex) when my cousin jumped on it and put the licience plate through my head. I blame my short term memory loss and A.D.D(my favourite colour is shiney) on that. but 2 years ago I was wheelieing my 300ex while standing on the seat when my feet slipped off. I broke both my wrists and one ankle and sprained my other one. I didn't want to get on my bike again until I realized that quads are what I have been pationate about since I knew what a quad was. So I still ride sport quads but I don't race or anything because its too risky for me (another concussion and i WILL die says the doctor) so I rip the trails and show people how to go mudding on a sport quad. I love kicking the snot out of my friends renegade 500 in the mud. my point is if you love quads there are many more ways to impress people than to go toe to toe in an mx race. DON'T GIVE UP just find a safer way to prove yourself.

SRH
08-15-2009, 10:21 PM
:( just got word the kid i wrecked with last yr...one of my buddies...is in critical condition and may not make it...came up short on a double, quad to the head....i guess they did a test no brain activity and hes on life support:( broke the helmet or the helmet was un strapped...i cant beleive it..

insaneracin2003
08-16-2009, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by SRH
:( just got word the kid i wrecked with last yr...one of my buddies...is in critical condition and may not make it...came up short on a double, quad to the head....i guess they did a test no brain activity and hes on life support:( broke the helmet or the helmet was un strapped...i cant beleive it..
:eek: sorry to hear that SRH

08-16-2009, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Jake250ex

yeah ive been kinda the same way since mine but not as bad i cant write like i used to [handwritting] and weird little things like that BUT I FORGET EVERYTHING , yeah im the idiot who hit a sign at 55mph with no helmet i had a concussion and screwed my skull up , if you find out what is making u forgetful let me know i hate the feeling, DONT HANG UP THAT HELMET JUST GET BACK ON AND KEEP GOING THATS HOW IVE ALWAYS BEEN AND ITS NEVER DONE ME TO WRONG :] GOOD LUCK DUDE