PDA

View Full Version : craigslist, is this a scam?

muddy400EX
08-12-2009, 12:55 PM
i was lookin on craigslist and found this truck http://stlouis.craigslist.org/ctd/1315372537.html

i sent him an email because i was curious, asked if he still had the truck and if the price was a misprint and he sent me this

The truck is still available and the price for 2005 GMC SIERRA 2500 4X4. 6.0 LT V8 SUPERCHARGED is $4,950. I worked for GMC and I had access to the GMC Employee Store. I bought it for a very low price and that's why I can afford to sell it so cheap right now. It has done 13,350 miles and has been well taken care of, always kept in the garage. It doesn't have any dents, chips or scratches and the interior is great, never smoked in. The truck has a clear title, no liens or loans and never been in an accident. It comes with bill of sale in your name, title, owner's manual and all the keys.
I was recently promoted and had to move to the UK. I'm located in London and the truck is in Alexandria, VA. I have made all the arrangements and the truck is already in a shipping container (sealed with all the papers inside). You can't inspect it now and the shipping and insurance charges are included in this price. The shipping takes 3-5 days and the truck is delivered at your home.
I decided to make this transaction through eBay because I believe this protects both buyer and seller and it's the right way to do the sale. You send the money to eBay and they hold the payment until the truck is delivered. You have 7 days to inspect the truck and the documents. I get the money after you check the truck and make sure everything is as agreed.
If the truck is not as described and you want to return it, I will arrange to ship it back (on my costs) and you will be 100% refunded by ebay. I'm sure you will love the truck and will not want to return it but it's good to know that you have this option available.
If you have the funds available and want to buy the truck, I need your full name and the delivery address to inform ebay about this sale and receive the transaction details from them as soon as possible.

what do u guys think, fake?

Wood_15
08-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Hard to say I would contact ebay first and see if that actually do that kind of service. Let them know whats going on, since the guy involved them.

smr
08-12-2009, 01:14 PM
YES...it's a scam. There is no such thing as GMC employe store. They do have Employee pricing but even employess still have to go through a dealer....it's definately a scam.

But what really throughs up a red flag is the fact that it's on craigslist and references ebay.

Another biggy...st louis craigslist and Va shipping from address. That add will be flagged within the next few hours.

muddy400EX
08-12-2009, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by smr
YES...it's a scam. There is no such thing as GMC employe store. They do have Employee pricing but even employess still have to go through a dealer....it's definately a scam.

But what really throughs up a red flag is the fact that it's on craigslist and references ebay.

Another biggy...st louis craigslist and Va shipping from address. That add will be flagged within the next few hours.

pretty much exactly what i was thinking, nothing made sense. and that truck could probably sell for about 30k

derekhonda
08-12-2009, 01:21 PM
SCAM

8my_Cash
08-12-2009, 01:23 PM
i would definitly check ebay on this, also where is the ebay link to view the ebay sale.

Another thing, its paypal that hes trying to convey to you....So i dont think this person knows what they are talking about.

I would ask for a VIN and all the fun stuff to do you own research on the vehicle.

And when the guy said that its in a shipping container already and you cant inspect it???? Red Flag right there, because one why is all the paper work in the container with the truck and not in his hand????

8my_Cash
08-12-2009, 01:25 PM
If you have the funds available and want to buy the truck, I need your full name and the delivery address to inform ebay about this sale and receive the transaction details from them as soon as possible.

Uh nope.....thats complete horsechit right there

JLanphear
08-12-2009, 01:28 PM
Def. no need to question this one. Way too obvious that it is not real.

muddy400EX
08-12-2009, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by 8my_Cash
i would definitly check ebay on this, also where is the ebay link to view the ebay sale.

its not even on ebay, i searched and couldnt find it anywhere. i figured it had to be fake, just wanted someone to tell me for sure, lol

8my_Cash
08-12-2009, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by muddy400EX
its not even on ebay, i searched and couldnt find it anywhere. i figured it had to be fake, just wanted someone to tell me for sure, lol

haha true

08-12-2009, 02:26 PM
scam, same thing happened to my uncle he was looking at a f150 and the seller told him the same thing that he was moving to the uk or whatever and it was in Alexandria VA. luckly we got the money back before it got the seller. and cragslist says offers to ship cars are 100% fraud.. and that people who want you to wire money threw money gram or whatever are scammers. id back away.

"I decided to make this transaction through eBay because I believe this protects both buyer and seller and it's the right way to do the sale. You send the money to eBay and they hold the payment until the truck is delivered. You have 7 days to inspect the truck and the documents. I get the money after you check the truck and make sure everything is as agreed.
If the truck is not as described and you want to return it, I will arrange to ship it back (on my costs) and you will be 100% refunded by ebay. I'm sure you will love the truck and will not want to return it but it's good to know that you have this option available.
If you have the funds available and want to buy the truck, I need your full name and the delivery address to inform ebay about this sale and receive the transaction details from them as soon as possible."

the guy selling the f150 told my uncle the same thing. tht he could inspect it and shipping was covered and it was crated and ready to go.

08-12-2009, 02:46 PM
[i]Originally posted by muddy
what do u guys think, fake? [/B]

total scam ive already seen this happen before i tried to buy an f-250 and this is the way they had it set up first it was here in nc and then i got an pre written email saying it had to be shipped from florida no pickup ,