PDA

View Full Version : Calipers touching rims?!?!

nacs400ex
01-09-2003, 04:32 PM
Alright, with my '00 400ex, I think the calipers have been grinding on the rims.. the rims dont look bent though. It looks like they have been doing this for a long time, because when I first got it, it was like that. There is no marks on the caliper, but sometimes when I do doubles, it makes a grinding type noise.. it is on the right front hand side.. and there is also a bit of marks on the lefthand side rim too. I took off the calipers and put them back on and it still does this. Its not the plastic caliper guards either because I took them off, just to see if thats what it was. Do you have any ideas what could be making these marks??

I dont want it too keep doing this because, if I purchase aftermarket rims I wont want it to do this to them.

thanks a ton
Craig

Honda2003
01-09-2003, 04:41 PM
my 250ex is doing the same thing. i found some dirt and stuff in the caliper mount one time. still doing it a little though but not as bad.

01-09-2003, 04:43 PM
You sure something is rubbing? Mine were grinding a little, but I sprayed everything down with a good coat of WD40 and brake cleaner, and it spins more freely now, and is quieter.

nacs400ex
01-09-2003, 04:44 PM
alright, it seems to be more than dirt though, because its clean around there, and these marks have like ripped the finish off the rims.. ?? they like turned to black streaks/scratches. Its very weird. Thanks anyways. I will try to clean it again though.

Also, I can only hear the grinding nose when I jump it....

Craig

01-09-2003, 05:58 PM
Did you reverse the rims?

Ex'r Marlin
01-09-2003, 06:27 PM
The inside of the rims do collapse a little under pressure (hard riding) and at times hit the front brake caliper. This is not uncommon. This will happen to stock rims, Douglas Billet Beadlocks, and HiPer Beadlock rims... For your information.

Note: If you have one side of the rim wearing a lot in one place then any other, you may have a bent (flattened) rim. Also, the more mud and dirt that gets caught up on the caliper, the more noise and grind marks you will see and hear as the rim rotates around. I am thinking that is what you are hearing.

nacs400ex
01-09-2003, 06:57 PM
Alright well thanks for everyones help. it must be dirt that gets in their and then comes out ?!?, and no my rims aren't flipped.

Craig

Honda2003
01-09-2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Ex'r Marlin
The inside of the rims do collapse a little under pressure (hard riding) and at times hit the front brake caliper. This is not uncommon. This will happen to stock rims, Douglas Billet Beadlocks, and HiPer Beadlock rims... For your information.

one time mine was dirt causing it. the rest of my problem may be like you said. the rims flexing. mine are not hitting that bad but it is leaving marks on the rims.