PDA

View Full Version : Bearing removal

Melton69
08-11-2009, 09:25 PM
Whats the best way to remove the swingarm pivot needle bearings? Im trying to replace them and they WILL NOT come out. They are pretty much destroyed and wont budge!

deathman53
08-11-2009, 10:08 PM
Is this on the stock 86 swingarm? If so, I used a 19mm socket and it fits just in. I then used a 5lb sledge and beat it out. I wasn't able to do this on one, I had to press it out. The socket has to be just the smallest bit smaller than the hole and be prepared to have useless socket after this is done.

honda380
08-11-2009, 11:44 PM
cut them out by sharpening up a chisel and smacking on them a few good times with a hammer and the chisel. after you cut the outer race, reach in with a pair of needle nose vicegrips, roll them off the sidewall, and pull them out. if it doesnt make sense, i can try to explain it better...

IcutMetl
08-12-2009, 05:42 AM
What he said- but be careful not to muck up the aluminum bores; it's easy to do.

Mine were so niglected that the races were siezed in there to the point where the chisel trick didn't work. I had to destroy the cages and fish all the dry rusty needles out.

Another trick (what I did) is to go to a Fastenal (or order thru MSC or similar place) a long carbide burr for your die grinder. Carefully get down in the bores, and create a "slot" in the outer race with the die grinder just until you break thru to the aluminum- you'll be able to tell. Then, do the chisel trick and pick out with needle nose vise grips.

I had to cut my swingarm pivot bolt out of my frame with a sawzall; hope you are luckier than I was getting the bolt out of the sleeve. The Pivot Works bearing kit I bought had the long sleeve, but I had to buy a used bolt off of ebay (didn't feel like paying $65. Don't go for the stainless ones; they're not as strong.

Clean out the bores in the swingarm as good as you can, and make sure there's no burrs or high spots- if there are, your new bearings will not go in very well if at all. Hit burrs or high spots carefully with a rat-tail file and emery...or a brake cylinder hone like I did. Clean them out again, stick your needle bearings in the freezer for a little while- when you're ready, evenly heat up the bores with a hand torch, quickly & evenly place the bearings in- if you're lucky, they'll drop in- if not, have a socket ready thats jusssst under what the o.d. of the bearings is, and tap them in straight with a mallet.

Make sure when you put everything back together, pack the bearings with waterproof marine grease and coat the crap out of the bolt with anti-sieze.

86 Quad R
08-12-2009, 07:28 AM
on the 86-87 style swinger you can use the socket method that deathman mentioned but insted of beating them out i use a stick of 3/8" all-thread, a couple of nuts and thick warshers to either push or pull the bearing races out. use the reverse method to install the new bearing if so desired. :cool:

Melton69
08-12-2009, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
on the 86-87 style swinger you can use the socket method that deathman mentioned but insted of beating them out i use a stick of 3/8" all-thread, a couple of nuts and thick warshers to either push or pull the bearing races out. use the reverse method to install the new bearing if so desired. :cool:

Thats a really good idea! I didnt even think about doing it like that. I will give these methods a try and let you know the results. It will be a couple days as I am taking all the parts of the quad to get prepped for powder coating!

Thank you to all who replied so quickly, I appreciate it.

Long live the 250R!

MotoX_Racer07
08-12-2009, 05:09 PM
Doesn't anyone use Blind hole bearing pullers? Thats the ticket, As long as there is still a ridge to grab they come right out especially with a little torch action. If there is nothing to grab or chisel, use a dremel type carbide bur and cut it the whole length or the race. It comes out easily that way too. You can buy a blind whole bearing puller set from Rocky Mountain ATV for 80 bucks. Its better quality then the harbor frieght ones. I've got that one and a snap on set and they appear to be the same company making them.

Melton69
08-13-2009, 01:19 AM
UPDATE:

Well, I got one out. The all-thread method was the trick, unfortunately for the second one the all-thread broke! And that was with heat too. So the plan is after it gets back from the sand blaster is to let it soak in PB Blast for a night, then heat the outside up till I see the PB boiling, then start turning the all-thread.

86 Quad R
08-13-2009, 06:19 AM
glad it worked..........

yea sometimes the conditions get really bad in there to where the races/swinger will rust together. i've had to resort to either pb blast it or do as mentioned and use a die grinder w/ a carbide bit. :cool: