PDA

View Full Version : life sesson on engines

One_Bad_400
08-11-2009, 08:16 PM
remember kids. next time you think your valves have gone bad and after you fix them, the then the guy that is helping you fix your motor says that your piston is bad and you replace the piston and rings. all you got to do is bring it to me. and i'll get your carb floats unstuck and your bike will run like new. dont spend $800 in parts and labor when all it is is your carb floats.

haha, luckly this wasnt me, it was a friend. his uncle said he'd fix his bike, $800 later his uncle couldnt fix it so he brought it to me. the only thing that was wrong with it was the carb float was stuck up not letting fuel in. lession learned, now he's got a brand spankin new engine.

no bashing, every one does stupid things here and there

derekhonda
08-11-2009, 08:32 PM
Yeah have all been there atleast to some degree.

I bought 2001 cr125 that was torn down and in boxes, guy said it needed a new clutch and a top end. Did the topend, stuck a new clutch in it, couldn't get the side cover back on. Bought a basket, and a second clutch, still couldnt get it, tried to shuffle some plates and fibers around, ruined one of the clutches still couldnt get it. Took it to a guy, he couldn't get it, charged me an hours labor. Took it to another guy, looks at it for 5 seconds and says "where you get this clutch cover" I say it was in a box, and he goes well its not for this bike. Buy a new clutch cover, tada...

Some people got it, some people don't.

bens250ex
08-11-2009, 08:34 PM
lmao really? wow tell G to check the obvious things first.......fuel and spark...........:eek2:

buck440
08-12-2009, 02:51 PM
when i took my 400ex in to have my motor worked on they had to bore it and i asked what compression and size is the piston and they had no idea :huh thank you vincense honda,yamaha, suzuki you guys are great

89mustang
08-12-2009, 03:14 PM
Just bought an 01 400ex that "Wasn't running right" for 1000. kid put a new battery in it and didnt know/ care to fix it. Turns out it was the fuel filter that was entirely corroded... about a $4 fix!

Which 450?
08-12-2009, 05:55 PM
Remember this, "everybody's a mechanic" They will come to you and tell you how to fix it. Oh all you gotta do is turn a couple screws, pop a couple holes in it then boom. "Ok then why are you paying me $80 an hour to do that if you know how to already????" Ive learned to just phase it out and do my own thing!

Which 450?
08-12-2009, 05:56 PM
O yea, I bought a 2001 seadoo GS near mint, for CHEAP. "Wouldnt start" Loose battery terminals!!!!!! VROOM VROOM

witech
08-12-2009, 06:29 PM
I got my vette for several thousand less than advertized because the owner said the cam was out in the engine causing a bad miss. he couldnt get anyone to bid after telling them that. It had 28000 miles. I got it home and found one injector wire broken and a spark plug wire fell off. 20 minutes later I had it running perfect .LOL

Scro
08-12-2009, 07:47 PM
A couple years ago, before I started working on my motors, the kicker on my 04 became really hard kick. Being the dumbass that I was, I figured it was the dreaded crank bearings. So I tear it down, order a new crank, and put it all back together. After doing that and it still was hard to kick, I discovered that my decompression wasn't set right:mad:

scuzz
08-13-2009, 08:56 AM
K.I.S.S. concept wins always.

One_Bad_400
08-13-2009, 09:18 AM
???????

witech
08-13-2009, 03:47 PM
KISS Keep it simple ....stupid

fastredrider44
08-13-2009, 04:15 PM
That's right... Everybody is a mechanic. I tune em out and do my own thing. Fuel, spark, compression. If you have all them, then it has to run. :p

But we have all made mistakes. I once put a set of injectors in my truck and it turned out to be the fuel pressure regulator... If I woulda just ran the code first...:rolleyes: