PDA

View Full Version : Question about powdercoating. Need an expert here.

monstergt88
08-11-2009, 07:52 PM
Ok guys i just picked up an immaculate condition Long travel Houser Racing a-arms for my 440. As you guys are probably aware, it says "Houser" on the bottom arms. Im going to be getting them powdercoated to match the theme on my bike. Is there a way to keep the "Houser" on there and for them to powder coat the rest of the arm? Or in order for them to strip the coating that came from the factory do they need to dip the arms? Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

BlasterEaten250
08-11-2009, 07:56 PM
Just get new stickers to put on afterwards. If you emailed houser you could probably get them sent to you for free.

Pappy
08-11-2009, 07:57 PM
The arms will most likely be burnt off, and media blasted. Houser is the only one that will refurbish your arms and put back the encapsulated sicker.

monstergt88
08-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Ohh I didn't know they were stickers. I thought it was something special that they put on.

Pappy
08-11-2009, 08:03 PM
It is, and they will not send out the special stickers for other coaters, which is cool, its their trademark so more power to them!

They will send you regular stickers however....

Base coat white, partial cure, allow to cool, apply sticker

Top coat, partial cure, remove sticker, partial cure again

Clear coat and final cure.

Too much work for a name thats not mine!

monstergt88
08-11-2009, 08:09 PM
I was looking on there website and look here.
http://www.houser-racing.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80000C25-1217508574

They do sell the a-arm sticker I wonder if its the same though as the one that comes on it. I wonder... Guess i should stop being impatient and call them up tomorrow.

KillerKoatings
08-11-2009, 09:03 PM
As long as it is a good quality grade vinyl you can actuall powder clear over the sticker. So basically powder the color you want apply sticker then clear.

Pappy
08-11-2009, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by KillerKoatings
As long as it is a good quality grade vinyl you can actuall powder clear over the sticker. So basically powder the color you want apply sticker then clear.

Thats what they use now, they used to do it the way I related...I used to see the prick marks from where they would remove the sticker:p

If you try and have stickers made, Houser will be contacting you if they find out:p They take it pretty serious:chinese:

hondarace83
08-11-2009, 09:17 PM
thats why im going black/white plastics with red/black frame ^^

KillerKoatings
08-11-2009, 09:19 PM
I bet they are saving a bunch of time/money clearing right over the sticker. The other method which probably looks better takes a ton more time and powder.

Pappy
08-11-2009, 09:23 PM
I would say so:p

Ive seen guys powder their arms, apply a sticker and clear laquer the arms. I like Houser parts, but unless im getting stuff for free that name can go:p

Ryanwolfe911
08-12-2009, 05:54 AM
+1, who cares. I'm sure the A arms will work just as well without the stupid stickers.