PDA

View Full Version : 02 sportsman 500 ho trans stuck

omeeomy
08-11-2009, 07:10 PM
sorry about posting in the outlaw page but i was hopeing you all could help me out
anyone here know why the trans is stuck between reverse and neutral?
is this gonna be a costly fix?
also how much is it worth in this condition?
also has a snow blade
any help would be great

rundrave
08-11-2009, 08:35 PM
have you checked the linkage where shifter assembly goes to the tranny, some times it takes some adjustment to get it working again and everything back in alignment. another thing to to check is for anything hindering any movement or blockage. I have had stuff get wedged in there and cause issues

ive also found when they are hard to go into gear it's because the idle is too high. It doesn't like going into gear with a higher rpm then what it's supposed to

omeeomy
08-12-2009, 05:12 AM
well i have a chance to buy this quad the way it is
do you think i should and how much should i pay for it

cmitchell79
08-12-2009, 10:42 AM
The idle will affect how it shifts, if it is to high then it is very hard to shift. It could also be the bellcraft that attaches to the shaft coming out of the tranmission is stripped. It is made out of aluminum and strips very easily. (Thats what is it is designed to do). I have a 700 so I am not sure if the 500 is the same. I did have problems with mine last winter, the cover for the transmission shaft is not water tight, it allowed water in and it froze not allowing the shaft to move. I took the cover off and filled the void with grease so no water could get in. It has worked fine since. The waste also caused the shaft to rust some so that might be causing some of the problem. Nothing was hard to fix.

barbakos
08-12-2009, 04:55 PM
Mine was idling too high and was very hard to shift until I adjusted the idle. Also, the linkage gets stiff really easily so that's something to check. As far as value, no idea