PDA

View Full Version : Rear BRake Caliper part?

Melton69
08-11-2009, 06:30 PM
I have my brake caliper torn apart and in the process of a rebuild. My question is that on the pistons there were small disk shaped ceramic peices that went on the end of the piston, well one of them broke. I cant find it on any schematics on service honda or bike bandit.

Does anyone know what part this is and if its even needed?

Thanks,

-Melton

matt250r21
08-11-2009, 06:48 PM
Your not going to find that small part new from Honda unless you buy a new brake piston. However, if you need just that small part I know I have a few of those laying around.

Is it really needed? I'm not sure, Honda put it there for a reason. I would think it would help seperate the piston from the heat of the brake pads.

86 Quad R
08-11-2009, 06:55 PM
im purdy sure its for disipating heat aswell as a means to cut down on noise.

Melton69
08-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by matt250r21
Your not going to find that small part new from Honda unless you buy a new brake piston. However, if you need just that small part I know I have a few of those laying around.

Is it really needed? I'm not sure, Honda put it there for a reason. I would think it would help seperate the piston from the heat of the brake pads.

That peice is just on the rear caliper right?

How much do you want for two of them?

leager-n-ky
08-11-2009, 07:49 PM
I did the nickel thing, didnt know about heat disp..

rigger
08-11-2009, 08:26 PM
The heat thing is a good point but if it were only there because of heat, then I would think they would be on all pistions on all calipers no matter what the machine.

I wonder if they are there for more of a wear item? You know the rear caliper gets hit with a lot more mud and grime than front calipers do. Maybe something to take the beating and the wear instead of the piston itself.

Just a thought anyway.

deathman53
08-11-2009, 09:06 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. Almost none of my calipers have those insulators.

86 Quad R
08-12-2009, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by deathman53
I wouldn't worry about it. Almost none of my calipers have those insulators.

neither do mine........ lol you think they could aid in preventing the pistons from being packed with crud?

matt250r21
08-12-2009, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Melton69
That peice is just on the rear caliper right?

How much do you want for two of them?

I found one of those fiber discs, I will look for some more of them. I'm thinking the price of a stamp and you can have them.

Melton69
08-12-2009, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by matt250r21
I found one of those fiber discs, I will look for some more of them. I'm thinking the price of a stamp and you can have them.

That would be awesome! Thank you! Let me know when you find another and we will work something out.

infamous
08-12-2009, 04:31 PM
So the guys that don't have them, any problems? I don't have them as well and was going to do the nickle thing.