PDA

View Full Version : Front Brake pads. Need help Please.

kcalexan83
08-11-2009, 04:51 PM
So last week I bought new brake pads for my 400. I put the rear on and they worked just fine. I got around to putting the fronts on and I'm having trouble. When I put it all back together the outside pad seems like it is too thick. When I tighten the caliper mounting bolts it pulls the outside pad tight against the rotor. The pad is as far out as it will go but i can barely turn the hub it is dragging so bad. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance, Kyler.

smorris1
08-11-2009, 06:36 PM
i had the same problem man. but mine was with my rear. I bought the EBC severe duty pads and they were wayy to thick for some reason. I could barely push the bike.
i ended up filing some of the pad and its ok now.

dei3848
08-11-2009, 06:58 PM
did you push the piston back in?

kcalexan83
08-11-2009, 08:52 PM
I think smorris is right. I practically beat my head against the wall it had me so aggrivated tonight lol. I can get plenty of room on the piston side. If Ipush the piston in there is like 1/8" gap between the piston side pad and the rotor. But no matter what I do I can't get the outside pad to quit dragging on the rotor. If i get time tomorow I will try filling some of it off I guess. Thanks.

mjc400ex
08-12-2009, 09:53 AM
I had the same problem when installing new pads. In the rears I sanded them down till they fit. One front fit fine and the other had the same problem you guys are describing. I ended up putting a washer between the caliper and its mount. This way you don't have to sand down brand new brake pads. This ends up letting the wheel spin correctly and my caliper hasn't fallen off yet so I guess its OK.

BlasterEaten250
08-12-2009, 02:22 PM
Grease the caliper slider bolts. That is the problem.

eg4life
08-13-2009, 01:12 AM
sometimes the piston doesnt want to go all the way down because of rust.

try and spray some penetrating oil on the pistons, give it a day , then use a c clamp to tighten down the piston. *crack the bleeder to make the piston go in easier. then bleed the brakes....