PDA

View Full Version : intake/air filter/airbox woes

J.J.
08-11-2009, 08:30 AM
i decided against completely building my motor on my brand new quad right now.. i'm just gonna throw on my exhaust and jet it..

my problem now is trying to figure out what intake filter setup to run.. sparks foam filter, uni filter, k&n? if i go with sparks or uni, do i keep the little metal cylinder thing that the stock foam filter goes over? do i keep the snorkel or ditch it?

also, can i get by with just drilling some holes in the airbox lid or is it better to just ditch it all together? i tend to get into mud on occasion and would hate to really do some damage because i didn't have a lid

400man
08-11-2009, 09:27 AM
keep the snorlel, its more protected airflow and works better than just plugging the hole with a spray paint can top. if your bike is already jetted for no lid and you have a muddy ride planned, just take some duct tape and tape off the space between the airbox and the subframe. then put the seat/fenders on and tape the small section between the fenders and subframe. this will pretty much keep almsot all the mud and water spray off the back tires from soaking your air filter. and keep the metal cage with the filter. I use uni twin stage filters and they work awesome for me.

riles88g
08-11-2009, 09:49 AM
im running a k&n with a sparks pre filter with no lid. it works great and added a ton of throttle response