PDA

View Full Version : Best 18s

FL-R
08-10-2009, 08:45 PM
I have a 86, 310set up for MX, Im running some old grooved turf tammers in the rear and grooved radial car tires up front (old school) and they just dont work in the thick FL sugar sand. These are the tires I was considering.

Holeshot MXR6 or 4
Kenda Klaw MX
Razar MX.
Anymore

88redrocket
08-11-2009, 06:27 AM
I went to a neatv race a couple months back at southwick,ma which is a wicked sandy track and josh creamer was racing and i noticed he was running the itp quadcross mx pro tires which blew me away because itp claims they were developed for hard packed tracks and there was creamer running them (and doing very well) on a whooped out sandy track. I talked to a few other people about them and they said they hook up awesome on anything. They have a new style out now which is the quadcross pro-lite which the rear tires are supposably 2 lbs lighter than the standard quadcross tires. heres a link

http://www.itptires.com/MX_PRO_Lite.html

ZSNOW
08-11-2009, 07:44 AM
Don't base tire oppinions on what pro's run. Pro's run what they run because of sponsership.

The BEST mx tire in the sand is def the holeshot, then the Razr MX then the klaw.But in my oppionion the best overall MX tire is the razr.

The grooved turf tamers work awesome in the sand when they're brand new, but as soon as they loose their edge you minuswell be running a slick.

88redrocket
08-11-2009, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by ZSNOW
Don't base tire oppinions on what pro's run. Pro's run what they run because of sponsership.

The BEST mx tire in the sand is def the holeshot, then the Razr MX then the klaw.But in my oppionion the best overall MX tire is the razr.

The grooved turf tamers work awesome in the sand when they're brand new, but as soon as they loose their edge you minuswell be running a slick.

Yes pros run whatever tire company sponsors them. But ITP makes both the holeshot and quadcross tires obviously each riders crew sets up the quad for track conditions, so the race i was at creamer and team kawi chose to run quadcross tires in the deep sand over holeshots. Must be something they liked about them better.

08-11-2009, 03:39 PM
I vote the MXR6 for the best tire in loose/sandy mx conditions. Josh Creamer was doing good at that race because he is a really fast rider, not because he was using Quadcross tires.

88redrocket
08-11-2009, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by 8686
I vote the MXR6 for the best tire in loose/sandy mx conditions. Josh Creamer was doing good at that race because he is a really fast rider, not because he was using Quadcross tires.

Your right he is a really fast rider, my point was that he could have ran any of itp's tires that day and he chose to run the quadcross's. Like i said in my earlier post i talked to other people that run them in the sand and they like them as well. Im not saying there the best tires for sand, just that they should be considered, the guy was looking for tires that are good on sand tracks so i mentioned them.

ZSNOW
08-11-2009, 07:19 PM
factory kawi run quadcross everywhere..not just southwick lol. they groove them differently for each track. like at some races outside knobs are missing, other times the middle knobs are sliced. it depends on conditions and they make the tire work.

08-11-2009, 08:26 PM
Like ZSNOW said, FACTORY Kawi is under contract to run Quadcross tires, not any ITP tires they want. Now under the factory Suzuki tent was a different story when I went to Red Bud last two weeks ago. They run Maxxis but Doug Gust had Razr MX on the rear and Dustin Wimmer had RazrCross on the rear. I think they both had RazrCross on the front. So whether he likes them or not, or whether they are the best or not, Josh Creamer runs Quadcross tires. Like mentioned, they were grooving them at Red Bud.