PDA

View Full Version : My "Flat trackin" 300EX

kc 300EX
01-09-2003, 03:17 PM
Well, for the next 4 weekends I will be racing Flat Track in Orange county NY at the fair grounds indoor......
My quad isnt exactly set up for flat track racing. My cousin made up some struts for it, I have rear wheel spacers and flipped front rims for width.......I raced last week, I was probably the slowest most underpowered quad there, and one of the only ones without full flat track tires...........but ya know set up isnt everything..........I pulled off a second in qualifying, and I won the B main:D I credit that to good starts(I started second and first, go figure) Anyways, heres some pics. If anyone has some super secret tricks to help me out, Id appreciate it, and Id like to see some more EXriders at the races!

kc 300EX
01-09-2003, 03:18 PM
another

kc 300EX
01-09-2003, 03:20 PM
the rear

kc 300EX
01-09-2003, 03:22 PM
left side

kc 300EX
01-09-2003, 03:24 PM
last one I promise

250rmike
01-10-2003, 07:36 AM
hey maybe ya won cause u were shooting dirt in there eyes with ur tires cause u didnt have flat trak tires? j/p but good job on finishing i dont race flat track so i cant help ya there

QuadJunkies
01-10-2003, 09:50 AM
thats really cool!! I am thinking on getting my geared up as well to race here locally. I am going to go watch a few first and see what they all are runnin here ...I will def be the most unpowered where we race here..I am mot oiut to win,but to experiance it all. then if I like it,then Ill be in for more of winning.. kepp us updated on the racesand how you do!!!!!!:p

tants
01-12-2003, 02:31 PM
kc do you want some whitebrothers disks to add topend power?
i took them off my 300ex befor i sold it because the kid wanted it to be more quite. i got like 6 of them, ill throw them in the package with your aarms if ya want when i mail them tommrow

Ryan
01-12-2003, 04:13 PM
I was thinking of setting up my next quad like yours. I'll check yours more out next saturday at the track. Your gonna let me ride it right ;)

tants
01-12-2003, 04:16 PM
ryan you going up to the fair grounds to check out kc and the races? what time do they start, i get off work at 9 and could make it up to the fairgrounds by 9:30. thats too late right?

Ryan
01-12-2003, 05:23 PM
Well the race ends around 11:00 to 11:30. It starts at 7:00 so thats what time im gonna be there. If you havn't been there...... Its a tiny track and bring a couple gas masks for us. The place fills up the exuast fumes and you start to feel funny after awhile. If you could get off of work earlier that day that would be better.

Sparks425Ex
01-12-2003, 05:41 PM
Cool. I wish I was a lil closer then i could just stop by. It sounds like fun.

Rip_Tear
01-12-2003, 05:50 PM
Good luck! I would get some tires with more track... :D if they cant see all the better JK. I like my quad ridding high... :D I don't like flat track that much, I would leave it high.. just ride over everyone...

tants
01-12-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by R8
Well the race ends around 11:00 to 11:30. It starts at 7:00 so thats what time im gonna be there. If you havn't been there...... Its a tiny track and bring a couple gas masks for us. The place fills up the exuast fumes and you start to feel funny after awhile. If you could get off of work earlier that day that would be better.

you gotta pay to get in? if it isnt busy mabe i get be there by 8:00 the earliest

Ryan
01-12-2003, 06:03 PM
Well what is free these days? :huh It might be alittle packed but pay $15 and you can hang out in the pits or "In the back room" :p atlease they have a fan back there....

kc 300EX
01-12-2003, 07:51 PM
Welp, I didnt do so hot this week!

First sign of bad news, first practice I snapped a tie rod end! That was rough, but I managed to fix it. I ground off the top, popped out the ball, went to Home Depot, got a Bolt and a bunch of washers and a couple nuts, and i was back in business, Ill show a pic.....

anyways...

In the qualifying race I started third, but got stuck behind a green tecate, and by turn two I was LAST. I passed one guy, then was racing the tecate, put him into the wall(not on purpose I swear, I didnt even relize) So by then I was in 4th, then the 2 guys on 400EXs in the lead tangled and crashed, so I got second in qualifying.....

only the winners of the qualifying races advacned to the main, but I was put in one of two Semi finals.......the 2 winners of those semis advanced to the main......Luckily for me I was one of them, easily, I was out in front and never looked back, some dude who couldnt ride on a Raptor was holding everyone up

In the Main, I started 5th, I didnt make it past the first turn. My cousin Greg on his 400EX started right next to me, he slammer into me, rode up over my nerf bar and over my front tire, I was yelling at him to stop so I could lift his tire off, but he is too smart for that.........he decided he would get off me by himself and nail the gas, wrapping my plastic around my frame, eventually he got off and rode away with no damage
BTW, he is the one who made me snap the tie rod end......we dont race well together, Ill show pics

kc 300EX
01-12-2003, 07:53 PM
The "fixed" tie rod end........its not so bad, held up for 3 races, well, 2 races and one turn of the third.....

kc 300EX
01-12-2003, 07:55 PM
my front end after being slammed....

kc 300EX
01-12-2003, 08:04 PM
one more

QuadJunkies
01-13-2003, 01:08 AM
WEll if there is one thing about racing... you end up soeding alot of $$ on parts I hear thats for sure!!Now, this was your first flattrack race right??Im glad you made it out w/o any injuries..;)

Ryan
01-13-2003, 05:59 AM
That sucks, are you gonna have that fixed by this saturday?

QJ, if you have seen the crash you will know why there ends up to be so many crashes, its pretty crazy.

QuadJunkies
01-13-2003, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by R8
That sucks, are you gonna have that fixed by this saturday?

QJ, if you have seen the crash you will know why there ends up to be so many crashes, its pretty crazy. Im sure Ill be livin it here in a few myself..:p then again... I, going to a race to check out what everyone is runnin out here first, then who knows I may change my mind ;)

Ryan
01-13-2003, 06:37 AM
QJ, Well I have seen alot of TT tracks before but this one is so small and narrow that its hard to make a pass, or going around the corner without hitting someone else. The bigger TT tracks arn't as bad.

KC, I think they have a outdoor track in Newburge or somewhere in that area:confused:

QuadJunkies
01-13-2003, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by R8
QJ, Well I have seen alot of TT tracks before but this one is so small and narrow that its hard to make a pass, or going around the corner without hitting someone else. The bigger TT tracks arn't as bad.

KC, I think they have a outdoor track in Newburge or somewhere in that area:confused: THis track sounds lie the one here also.. Ill get ya some pics and post ..This track is in like a Big Barn..very small track also.

Ryan
01-13-2003, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
THis track sounds lie the one here also.. Ill get ya some pics and post ..This track is in like a Big Barn..very small track also.

In a big barn :p . Thats pretty similar to this track. Your better off sticking to the bigger tracks instead of getting yourself killed on these tiny ones.

Every 1 minute race there is a crash:eek:.

QuadJunkies
01-13-2003, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by R8

In a big barn :p . Thats pretty similar to this track. Your better off sticking to the bigger tracks instead of getting yourself killed on these tiny ones.

Every 1 minute race there is a crash:eek:. THis is the only flat track here..:(

Ryan
01-13-2003, 12:06 PM
If your willing to do some traveling.... im sure theres more out there. You could always go to MX or XC :blah

QuadJunkies
01-13-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by R8
If your willing to do some traveling.... im sure theres more out there. You could always go to MX or XC :blah WE do have MX here too,but theres just something about flatrack racing I like..

Ryan
01-13-2003, 12:19 PM
WE do have MX here too,but theres just something about flatrack racing I like..

Yeah I know what you mean. I wish I could race it all but im having trouble affording a quad for that matter.

Middletown which is 20 minutes away from me. I never knew that had a track there untill a couple weeks ago. Im sure you have some tracks out there, you should go and look around. Theres gotta be some nice track atlease in the nearest hour from you?? :confused:

QuadJunkies
01-13-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by R8
Yeah I know what you mean. I wish I could race it all but im having trouble affording a quad for that matter.

Middletown which is 20 minutes away from me. I never knew that had a track there untill a couple weeks ago. Im sure you have some tracks out there, you should go and look around. Theres gotta be some nice track atlease in the nearest hour from you?? :confused: nope.. this is it here Connor field house and OMC track and one track more for dirt bikes(you have to pay 500.00 to ride on)thats it for many miles:(...

Ryan
01-13-2003, 12:37 PM
nope.. this is it here Connor field house and OMC track and one track more for dirt bikes(you have to pay 500.00 to ride on)thats it for many miles:(...

That sucks. Well you could move :eek: ;) .
Make your quad street legal
:huh ;)

QuadJunkies
01-13-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by R8
That sucks. Well you could move :eek: ;) .
Make your quad street legal
:huh ;) LMAO!! hmmm.. god idea...hehe :blah If I race soon, ill post and let you all see my pics ,hopefully prod pic not of me kissin a wall or sumthin..:eek:

dirtmomma
01-13-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Rip_Tear
Good luck! I would get some tires with more track... :D if they cant see all the better JK. I like my quad ridding high... :D I don't like flat track that much, I would leave it high.. just ride over everyone... Obviously you've never ran flat track before, THE LOWER THE BETTER. Ours is about scraping the ground. We see people out there on stock quads but all they do is high side. Anyway if they don't require class C tires I would stick w/ the ones you got it'll help it grab a little better on the starts. Sounds like you did good your 1st time out. We just finished our indoor winter season this last weekend, my son stepped up big time and got 1st in both of his classes(youth1 80-200cc)& (Blaster) and moved up to the A main and took 3rd & 4th he was running right next to the guy that has "$6500" alone in his motor and we probably have $1700 into our whole quad:p LOL He placed 7th overall for the season but there's a $hitload of quads in his classes so thats not too bad and it's his 1st season on his blaster he's been racing a LT80 & TRX90 till this year. Good luck and keep us posted. BTW we now have Hoosiers on the front of his quad and an FMF pipe setup the pic doesn't do it justice now but I'll have to post a new one soon.

dirtmomma
01-13-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Rip_Tear
Good luck! I would get some tires with more track... :D if they cant see all the better JK. I like my quad ridding high... :D I don't like flat track that much, I would leave it high.. just ride over everyone... Obviously you've never ran flat track before, THE LOWER THE BETTER. Ours is about scraping the ground. We see people out there on stock quads but all they do is high side. Anyway if they don't require class C tires I would stick w/ the ones you got it'll help it grab a little better on the starts. Sounds like you did good your 1st time out. We just finished our indoor winter season this last weekend, my son stepped up big time and got 1st in both of his classes(youth1 80-200cc)& (Blaster) and moved up to the A main and took 3rd & 4th he was running right next to the guy that has "$6500" alone in his motor and we probably have $1700 into our whole quad:p LOL He placed 7th overall for the season but there's a $hitload of quads in his classes so thats not too bad and it's his 1st season on his blaster he's been racing a LT80 & TRX90 till this year. Good luck and keep us posted.

tants
01-13-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by kc 300EX
my front end after being slammed....

dont worry kc... these are headin your way! :D

Rip_Tear
01-13-2003, 05:30 PM
I know the lower the better, I was just bugging :D I am the monster truck kinda guy! Good luck on the next race! Nice job on the tie rod!

kc 300EX
01-19-2003, 09:35 PM
Thanx Rip_Tear, I was very surprised it held up!
Tants's A-arms didnt get sent out in time for this weekends race, So I raced as-is with the bolted tie rod....

First heat, I started third, outside with two 400EXs on the inside of me(they looked fast) and a Raptor and a 250EX behind us(that was a joke)
You needed a first or second to qualify for the main.......one of the 400EXs jumped the start and got sent to the back, Off the line I was behind the other 400EX with the Raptor on right on my ***.....I couldnt catch the 400EX, and the Raptor was doing everything in his power to get around me, he was bumping me trying to spin me......I crossed the finish in Second and he didnt make the main.........He was upset, and boy was he a soar loser! He rammed me when we were pulling back into the pits, I guess he didnt like losing to a 300EX!

In the main I started 3rd again, little hairy off the start, Fell in line behind a 400EX and a 250R and thats how it ended with 3 other quads behind me.

All in all, good night of racing, no wrecks for me, I dont think anyone got hurt. There was a lot less bikes there this week, so it was considerably easier to breathe.