PDA

View Full Version : Anyone add a GT Thunder linkage w/o having

rinaldi
08-10-2009, 07:41 PM
the rear shock done? I am seeing vendors that sell just the GT Thunder linkage and wonder if there is a benefit to just swapping that out without revalving the shock. I don't want to "modify" my subframe, but would would like to upgrade the suspension both front and rear.

08-11-2009, 06:54 AM
ummm it was your topic a week ago...

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=405817

honestly, i wouldn't worry about modifying the sub frame i never did...and you can't tell at all...there is not a mark on it...my exhuast on the other hand is marked up...only cosmetic damage to it

like myself and others have said, the outcome is def. worth the "trouble"

rinaldi
08-11-2009, 07:20 AM
In that thread it went off on a tangent and never addressed others that had the linkage w/o the modification. It just posted that the modification was worth the hassle, but I don't want to bend the subframe, raise the airbox, etc.

dustin_j
08-11-2009, 08:13 AM
If you weight 125 pounds then you'll be fine. Otherwise, the first time you land a jump you will bottom out. Then you will have to modify.

In a couple weeks I'll be putting a GTT mx link and revalving the shock on my brother-in-law's 400 with razr 2's. I can let you know how that works if you're still debating which link to get.

rinaldi
08-11-2009, 09:05 AM
Thanks-let me know how it goes. I weigh about 185-190 lbs and it looks like I would need to modify.

08-11-2009, 12:45 PM
i'll say it as simply as i can

i have said that none of my 3 subframes have been modified...none show signs of any damage...only my exhaust has shown cosmetic damage...i weigh 160 and if i were to buy another 400ex, even if i had to bend the subframe just a little, i would...this mod is not an option...it is a "must"...even if i were to do nothing else to a brand new 400ex, this mod WOULD be done

here is what it boils down to...if you don't want to do it, don't do it and move on...if you want to do it...do it and move on...one way or the other take action and be happy with your decision...

Flynbryan19
08-11-2009, 01:13 PM
If you don't want to go to the trouble that the product requires you to do, then don't buy the product. Don't half arse something because your lazy. Either do it right or just don't buy it. We did indeed go over this in your last thread.

rinaldi
08-11-2009, 02:46 PM
Easy ladies-just asked the question again since I was a bit closer to making a decision. Not a whole lot of thread talk that I could find on the topic. Even vendors selling the product don't know about having to modify the quad. In addition the GT website says very little other than an * stating may need to be modified. Not much to go on.

Again ladies I appreciate the input, but keep your panties on.:rolleyes:

Wingnut
08-12-2009, 07:02 PM
I've got two 400s with gt thunder links and both have dented the sub frame. One of them has had it for almost two years and other that a dent there has been no problem. The sprocket bolts hit the sub frame and put about a 1/2 inch dent in it. Neither the sprocket bolts or sub frame have come loose. In my opinion the only reason to modify the sub frame is if you can't stand the look of a dent.

rinaldi
08-12-2009, 08:06 PM
Thanks. It seems like a great mod. To add to the above nothing seems to mention what or how to modify the subframe, etc to get this to not interfere. I think that is another issue I have with this part. If there were directions or a "how to" mod accordingly this may seem more attractive. With just people saying you need to modify the quad it really doesn't lead to any real understanding of what that really entails.

08-13-2009, 06:58 AM
the best way would be to bend the sub frame out a little

or read the last post in your previous topic...400ex07 covers it there or dustin_j tells you how to look fro where you need to modify by telling you how to check for clearances. from that point, you could make the best decision as to how you would want to modify the subframe...this can be done before the linkage is purchased.. simply remove the rear shock and easily lower the rear end down so that it sits completely on the ground. look fro what touches what(rotor into exhaust, sprocket bolt into left side sub frame, swing arm into the air box).

you are kind of making more of this than you need to...

i have bought 2 of these...i don't spend money on useless parts...if something is all it is cracked up to be after the first go around, i will not have it again...so again, i say...I HAVE BOUGHT 3 OF THESE

400man
08-13-2009, 08:17 AM
can somebody who has the gtt linkage post up a picture of the side view of their bike? i'd really like to see how much it lowers the rear end. ive used the search but couldnt really find any pictures of what im looking for. ive been reading alot about the linkage and im gonna consider getting it later on. I only weigh about 145lbs so I think i'll be fine with the stock shock, might have to just tighten it up a hair or something.

and i got one more question, could you use the mx linkage for a XC setup with 20 inch tires, or would it not work right? what is the real difference between the mx and xc linkage?

08-13-2009, 09:48 AM
this was my 450 without the linkage and my friends 450r with the linkage(actually a derisi linkage, but they are near identical)...mine is on the left...his is on the right...exact same tire size...i bet i have posted this 10 times between here and other forums...

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/921056/PBJCP-derisirear.JPG

from the front...his has derisi revalves mine were still stock...i was waiting on a new bumper so i had the stocker off and he had 22" tires up front where i had 21...other wise the same set up...mine is on the right this time...lol

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/921056/WXKRP-derisifront2.JPG

08-13-2009, 10:05 AM
rider weight has nothing to do with the shock needing revalved or not...it needs revalved because of the different leverage ratio created by the link...

i measured my ride height before the link and after...at the rear pegs with rider weight on before was 10.25"...after the same spot was 8.5"...you really don't lose ground clearance as it don't change the lowest point of the bike, which is the swing arm...

as far as mx vs xc linkage, i am sure it has to do with the different leverage ratio created by having that extra tire height, so it would make a difference, but not sure how...

400man
08-13-2009, 12:39 PM
great, thanks for the pics. just lowering the bike like that makes it even look better just setting there.

Pipeless416
08-15-2009, 12:36 PM
well i don't mean to bring this thread back up, but i just purchased a gt thunder elka rear with an xc link.. i'll update when i actually get to ride the thing. that might not be till november :ermm: