PDA

View Full Version : New to R's.School me!

jarfly
08-10-2009, 06:30 PM
I am very new to 250r's and 2 smokers all togeather.
After haveing my R for a few days now I have fell in love with it. So much power for such a little bike. I have road 400ex's 660 raptors and the 250r just walks all over these bikes. But mine ant perfect. It is very hard to start. I have to keep kickin and kickin till I am sweating like a stuck hog.LOL I am thinkin my gas is not mixed right. I dont know what it is mixed at. I pulled my plug and it was very wet like its not fireing. I didt have an extra plug to put in it so I quit with it for tonight. What is the right mix for these bikes? I have been told 40-1 and 32-1.

leager-n-ky
08-10-2009, 06:33 PM
Check your spark, and your compression. I run 32:1.

kookennay
08-10-2009, 11:11 PM
32:1 and can you roll it and pop the clutch and get it to start? i say this cause i could kick mine all day and it would not start but i could push it and it would fire right off. it had a little spot of rust on the flywheel were the little spot is raised up and it was causing it to not pick up and let it start. just my two cents.

79vwrabbit
08-11-2009, 06:39 AM
Hey, you’ll love the 250R. They’re easy machines to work on and modify-being single cylinder two stroke and all. And there ain’t nothing like the smell of premix and the sound of a hard-running two stroke on the pipe!

Make sure to use a quality two stroke oil. I like Amsoil Dominator mixed at 50:1.

As for hard starting, sometimes worn reed valves cause leakage of case pressure and make the engine hard to start. An ignition in poor condition will contribute to fouled plugs too-gotta have a hot ignition. If a wire connection looks bad, it probably is. And the only way to guarantee a good connection is soldering. The wiring on these bikes is SO SIMPLE. Also, jetting that’s off could be a major cause as well. More likely though, it’s a combination of the stuff listed above.

A new spark plug sometimes helps. In fact, it might run like new for a little while. But a two stroke in good running condition should very rarely/ever foul a spark plug. Just tackle one thing at a time until you get ‘er runnin good. I’d start with the reed valves, then ignition, then jetting. If you start playing with the jets first, it could just cover up the real problem somewhere else.

Also make sure you're kicking her good and hard. But if you've ridden other quads before, that's probably not so much of a problem.

Have fun-250R's are great quads!

jarfly
08-11-2009, 09:22 AM
I have't really looked at it much. Its been at my grandma's for the past 2 days. I am thinkin it may be my plug and gas. The gas in it is more oil than gas.lol Yea It has plenty of compresion(sp) It all most's brakes my leg tryin to start it.
Yes I have all ready fell in love with the 250R Iv have it for 4 days and refuse to ride my rubicon now.LOL. Yes there is nothing like the smell of the 2 strock and the ring of it also. Opps just gave my self a hard on:devil: ..I am goin to go get her today and start workin on it till I brake it or fix it one. THanks for the help guys. I also got some more qustiosn but I need some pics of her to explain them.

woodsracer144
08-13-2009, 09:27 AM
it taking a long time to start could be running on the rich or fat side as well... the gas could be old, it could need rings, needless to say it could be alot of small things that mush up to one big main problem... but as you tinker you will find out where the problems are and stuff... pull you plug and see what it looks like whats all done to the quad. if you ever loose spark and you use a new one try tapping the CDI box with a handle end of a screw driver and it normally helps... i've had to get differnt ones of those all the time...