PDA

View Full Version : No Link Rear Suspension

dquarton
08-10-2009, 01:51 PM
I am curious how other members feel about the no link suspension system. I put together this bike with the no link system, and I cannot say that I hate it, but I am just not blown away with it. My biggest beef is that is seems to jack up the back end by huge amounts, and make the ride height waaay too high for cornering/sliding, as you can see in the pic. Anyways, I am just curious to see what other members have to say about this.......

Thanks!

deathman53
08-10-2009, 04:04 PM
you got something wrong with the shock and/or swingarm. Here is mine, no link also. Is yours a no-link frame? On the no-link frame, the shock mount is ~4" higher than stock locaton. On mine, the top shoock mount is ~2" above the subframe. On my stock frames, is ~2" below the subframe. You need to cut away part the rear plastics and maybe notch the seat to fit a no-link.

http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/deathman53/crf450r1+1-16-05.JPG.html
http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/deathman53/crf450r1.JPG.html
http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/deathman53/crf450r+1-16-05.JPG.html

leager-n-ky
08-10-2009, 06:32 PM
I agree, something is wrong. Mine doesnt sit like that.

ZSNOW
08-10-2009, 06:33 PM
Yes, there is definatley something wrong with your set up. a no link set up should sit the same as any other quad.

dquarton
08-10-2009, 06:37 PM
All I could see to be causing this is the shock. Is there a chance that the frame is not a no link frame, and the mount is in the wrong place for a no link setup? The shocks on most of the no link bikes I see, seem to be a bit more horizontal than mine? The bike was set up for desert racing, so that might also have something to do with it........

leager-n-ky
08-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Look behind the motor, and under the swingarm to see if there is any signs of where the shock linkage mount would have been, If there is then it is not a no link frame.

If this bike was set up for desert racing, that might be it, they usally sat higher.

benjaminearl
08-11-2009, 07:01 AM
my no link sits high but i have not yet tried to drop the spring tension to lower it. i will try this weekend. but my rear also drops a few inched when i sit on it.

zedicus00
08-11-2009, 07:09 AM
dquarton, can you get some fairly close up shots of the mounting locations?

also you dont have to have a no-link frame and or a no-link swingarm to get this to work right if you use the right shock.

dquarton
08-11-2009, 09:17 AM
this is not a no link frame as I had thought. I think this is why it sits so high, as well as the fact that the suspension is set up for high speed desert racing. The front sits way up high too, and has zero negative travel.......

Honda 250r 001
08-12-2009, 05:16 PM
hey man dont ride your quad while its set up like that, The problem with the swingarm set up on all quads is the the chain tension changes depending on how far the suspension is compressed becauseo the pivot point is different from the chain pivot point. The chain should be SUPER loose with the quad setting up like that and when its comressed half way it should be super super tight like fiddle string tight, You need to get that fixed RIGHT Away, if you dont, you will pull the countershaft right out of the left side case and ruin it.

Im not sure if you get this or not, but dont ride your quad like that, it will cost you a lot.

dquarton
08-12-2009, 06:59 PM
yeah, that makes sense. no worries, I am going back to a linkage....

Honda 250r 001
08-12-2009, 07:11 PM
ya man thats a good idea, with the stock linkage and a stock shock re valved shock, im getting over 10 inches of rear travel which is not to bad considering its 20 year old technology.

infamous
08-13-2009, 12:50 AM
Just curious, what is the pros/cons of a no-link rear suspension? Are they better for certain types of riding?

woodsracer144
08-13-2009, 08:18 AM
IMO I think the no link is a good set up for tt and the woods... I think you get alot more wheel travle. It all depends on what set up your running and where the shock mounts on the swinger and all that I've ran 2differnt rear no links one the mount was kinda like using the oem swinger and the other was with the mount in the middle of the frame rails on the swinger I couldn't really tell much of a differance with the set ups but I just like the one with the mount in the rails like the lobo better because of a longer shock. I haven't rode on a cr 500 link set up yet but the no link is a good set up to me

Honda 250r 001
08-13-2009, 08:47 AM
no link gets more clearence because there is no linkage, and has less moving parts.

If im going to do anything, its going to be no link.

The down fall is you have to use a differnt airbox or modify your stocker because the shock will hit it.