PDA

View Full Version : TRX 350 Power Valve Motor

dquarton
08-10-2009, 01:44 PM
This is my other TRX. It has a Lonestar no-link frame, CT 350 PV motor, Ohlins no link rear shock, etc. etc. I have taken the bike to Glamis and Dumont, and I am just not at all satisfied with the power this motor produces. It is a relatively fresh motor, however it is not ported. I am relatively new to the big bore motor kits, and was under the impression that they came ported, but I am now finding out they are not. Can anyone tell me if a nice port and polish on this thing will wake it up??

pdxbigfoot
08-10-2009, 02:03 PM
Pretty much all the 350Pv's that Arlan builds will make a minimum of 65HP gladly and sit there and idle like a stocker.
Now that same 65HP might be 70HP on a different dyno as ours is fairly tight.
I see its a CT, from what i know they are come with a fairly "safe" port job.
What else are you running?? Carb, ignition, intake, pipe??

dquarton
08-10-2009, 02:10 PM
It is a CT 350PV motor with a Airstryker carb, CT Pipe/silencer. Stock ignition. I just cannot fathom how this motor could possibly be making 65HP. I was having trouble keeping up with a lot of 450's which really made me mad......I was running a 38 rear sprocket, and have been told the 39 is the way to go on these motors, however i doubt it could make that big of a defference?

pdxbigfoot
08-10-2009, 02:18 PM
Im talking about the engines Arlan builds and i have no idea what your engine is making.
I would try a differnt port job. Arlan can glance at a cylinder and tell if its going to make power and where its going to make power. We have a 350PV on the dyno 2-3 a month and i would call 65HP a average.
My 330 Non PV threw up 58.7 and 44.6 Ft Lb's. 70 can be attained but coaxing those last few ponies is tough.

Send your cylinder to a competent builder such as Arlan and hold on. They have alot of potential.

IcutMetl
08-10-2009, 03:04 PM
Call me cooky, but where is the powervalve on that motor? I thought the CT's used a Rotax style.

dquarton
08-10-2009, 03:13 PM
you are not kooky! I had a non PV 350 head, and switched over to the PV head. I noticed that after I posted the pic.

hondamancbr03
08-10-2009, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by dquarton
you are not kooky! I had a non PV 350 head, and switched over to the PV head. I noticed that after I posted the pic.

I've never seen a PV head:).....The PV is in the cylinder, and what you have there in the picture is a non PV motor. Are you sure it's a 350?
I have an LRD 350PV motor ported by Arlen, my friends that run 450's can't even come close to keeping up with me. A true test was when i raced my buddy that's running an 06 YFZ450 with cams and i ran from him like he missed a gear.
Like already stated, you need to port them to make em run.

dquarton
08-10-2009, 07:00 PM
Yes, it is a 350 cylinder, non power valve (in the pic). I sold it and bought a motor with PV. Who is Arlen??

pdxbigfoot
08-10-2009, 07:11 PM
The person who founded LRD but has since sold it and moved on. He worked with alot of big names including Gary Denton and Bill Balance. You can learn more here...
http://www.ledperformanceengines.com/
He is truly a mad scientist of sorts and knows how to make reliable HP numbers.

hondamancbr03
08-10-2009, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by dquarton
Yes, it is a 350 cylinder, non power valve (in the pic). I sold it and bought a motor with PV. Who is Arlen??

As pdxbigfoot put it...The mad scientist who can make them run!!

I'm a banshee rider that is use to running a bike wiht mid 80's HP, since i purchased and ran my LRD 350PV my Banshee sits. What area do you live in?

dquarton
08-10-2009, 08:40 PM
I live in Orange County, CA. Damn, I spent all this money building my TRX500 and it looks like I could have just ported my 350!!!

danhung11
08-10-2009, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by pdxbigfoot
The person who founded LRD but has since sold it and moved on. He worked with alot of big names including Gary Denton and Bill Balance. You can learn more here...
http://www.ledperformanceengines.com/
He is truly a mad scientist of sorts and knows how to make reliable HP numbers.

I have to add, Arlan's customer service is top notch.

Based on your comments, your bike needs some tuning and porting would only help you.

My 310 keeps up with most 450's and I really don't know how "fresh" the motor is.

Good luck!
Dan