PDA

View Full Version : Oil drain bolt Washer

RIDEREDson
08-10-2009, 08:54 AM
So yesterday I got the common stripped out oil bolt. I'm going to tap it and use the next bigger size, but do you use the same OEM crush washers? Or can you use another washer of some sort that can be used over and over?

Colby@C&DRacing
08-10-2009, 09:04 AM
You will need a new crush washer with a larger ID

RIDEREDson
08-10-2009, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
You will need a new crush washer with a larger ID

I've never paid attention, but do hardware stores carry those washers or will I have to order some.

RIDEREDson
08-10-2009, 06:24 PM
Can't you just use a normal washer?

arTuReX
08-10-2009, 07:56 PM
Thats a good question, anyone????

08-10-2009, 07:59 PM
no. you cannot just use a regular washer. a crush washer is designed to cush when u tighten it so it creates a tight seal tht will not leak. so by using a regular washer it will leak. thats why its called a "crush washer" it crushes.

RIDEREDson
08-11-2009, 02:26 AM
thanks for clarifying. Im still not clear on where you guys, that tap yours to a bigger size, are getting the new size crush washers. I looked everywhere at all the hardware stores and they dont have any.

Ichoptop
08-11-2009, 07:30 AM
a lot of hardware stores carry a steel washer theat has a rubber backing that seals well. I have used them on several bikes and never had a problem with them. Use a real hardware store, not some big box store. My local Ace Hardware carrys a bunch of fastners and ev en rod ends.

Ruf Racing
08-11-2009, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by RIDEREDson
thanks for clarifying. Im still not clear on where you guys, that tap yours to a bigger size, are getting the new size crush washers. I looked everywhere at all the hardware stores and they dont have any.

If you can't find a crush washer, I have used a hard nylon washer.
They work just fine. Remember not to over torque.

RIDEREDson
08-11-2009, 11:23 AM
Alright thanks everybody for your help.

Baxter
08-11-2009, 06:29 PM
I once did the same thing and got a dowty hydraulic washer. it's steel outside with a rubber seal on the inside of the washer.This is the British term for the washer and I don@t know what you call them in the USA.