PDA

View Full Version : IRS for the Honda?

voodoo-rider365
08-10-2009, 12:51 AM
I have been lookin around thinkin about a new fourwheeler and it's between the KTM 525, and the Honda,Kawasaki,and suzuki 450's. I found a place called sonic offroad that sells IRS kits for the Honda and Suzuki quads.(they sell more those are just the ones from my list) It looks sweet, cuz i have an outlaw 500 and rode my bros. 450 through the woods the other day and was wondering where my cadilac ran off too.:huh I just hate the weight and body roll of mine. Although my ITP HD's took A LOT of it away it still doesn't corner as well as his. Does anybody have any experience with this kit. It is extremely pricey....about $4000. For the kit and roll bar. Just wondring if it was worth it. I dune ride also and LOVE my irs in the dunes. Way better ride and better off-camber jump control.

Scro
08-10-2009, 07:28 AM
For $4000, you would be better off selling and buying a Polaris or a 700xx.

voodoo-rider365
08-10-2009, 02:20 PM
yeah, but i don't like the weight of them two. With this you get the best of both. I also have a soon to be track and want something capable of keeping up with regular 450's.

Edit: It also comes with your choice of shocks. Fox floats are an option.:D

Scro
08-10-2009, 03:18 PM
I don't know how much the Sonic weighs, but I'm gonna guess it adds alot to the 450's. The reason yours has so much roll is because of the IRS. If you put the Sonic kit on a Honda, it's gonna have the same effect with the body roll.

IMO, if you go with the Honda and the sonic kit, you're going to be right back where you are now except 4 grand in the hole. (Of course you gain a little reliability with the Honda):p

voodoo-rider365
08-10-2009, 10:11 PM
I'm sure it would add weight. I think it would weigh less than mine now. It's a tank. I would gain better brakes and a lower cg though. They also make it for the Suzi and it looks sweet with the central exhaust. With some better shocks i could take a lot more body roll out of mine. Still wouldn't have a 450 feel to it though. I would say it adds no more than 25 maybe 30 pounds. Looks well designed and simple. I really like that it's bolt-on. I just wondered how it is. I figured it would be hard to find somebody with experience with it. A little body roll is no big though cuz i trail and dune ride mostly, but it's hard to keep up with the 450's on the trails with all the weight. It weights aroung 490-500 curb weight. A lot of weight to jurk aroung at 14.... Although i am 6'1.

voodoo-rider365
08-11-2009, 09:19 PM
Sorry... does not come with shocks.. Now it is WAAAAAY overpriced. With 1600 dollar fox floats it was half reasonable now it is just dumb. Good idea... Way too expensive though. Still like to have it, but a lot ic could do with $5600.

Fred55
08-12-2009, 10:46 AM
The Outlaw 500 is close to 80lbs heavier than a Outlaw with the KTM motor! I would look into one of those.

voodoo-rider365
08-12-2009, 09:10 PM
Yeah and i rode a guys outlaw 525 in the sand and it was hard to tell, cuz i didn't want to get on it. He was real nice, but he let me ride it and i didn't even know his name. I didn't realize it was that much lighter i've heard 40 and some others, but that gives me hope.

voodoo-rider365
08-13-2009, 08:40 PM
I know this is in a Honda forum, but at 48-50 inches wide between the honda and the suzuki which handles better? With the same tires and stuff.

Also with a k&n air filter, full system exhaust, and correct jetting/mapping which is faster?