PDA

View Full Version : Easy, reliable mods for power.

Pack
08-09-2009, 07:46 PM
I'm looking to do some mods to my '07 YFZ that will not mess with my reliability.

I've got a K&N style GYTR air filter, 170 Main Jet, 45 Pilot, GYTR slip-on, 3 position on the NCVQ needle, and an aftermarket needle 2 1/2 turns out.

What are some other power mods I could do? Again, I don't want to do any engine work that could possibly make it less reliable.

All suggestions are appreciated, and if you could, please provide detail on how/what to do exactly.

A few things I've heard of are: Does a full exhaust system make much of a difference compared to a slip-on?

-Cam mod. I know nothing about it. And I mean, nothing.

-Intake. Again, I know hardly anything. I've just heard a few suggestions.

Anything else is greatly, greatly appreciated. I can't stress this enough. Thank you guys in advance.

proctorbc2005
08-09-2009, 08:11 PM
You already have a pipe, and re-jetted your carb, without engine work, you have pretty much reached the extent of your power upgrades.

You could drop a couple hundred on a new CDI unit, that will give you a little extra.

I would get a full exhaust system, a slip on is good, but replacing the rest of the system will help a little.

A cam mod is simple and easy to do, but will require you to start digging into your engine.

One of my friends put a "Scary Fast Power Now" reeds on his bike, he said it made a big diffrence. Personally I did not feel any change in his bike.

A head port job give great gains, and will not affect the mechanics of the bike, but again you will have to do engine work.

I am sure there are other little things you can do to get small power increses, but without engine work you are not going to get big gains.

Pack
08-09-2009, 08:22 PM
I'm not worried about minor engine work, as long as the reliability is still in tact. Like getting a big bore kit, or a piston kit, etc. will make it less reliable. Will a cam mod do the same (make it less reliable)?

What is the cam mod, exactly? And how much does it run?

Does a new intake make much of a difference?

ECOR#8
08-10-2009, 02:17 PM
the cam mod if u do it will be free. i know very little about it too. but what i do know is that i think you retard the exhaust cam 1 tooth. someone correct me if im wrong. it is said to gain you more top end power. i didnt do it with my yfz because i race xc and want the low end power, plus the cam mod makes it start just a bit slower and with a dead engine start i dont want that.

Ride1Rob
08-10-2009, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by proctorbc2005
You already have a pipe, and re-jetted your carb, without engine work, you have pretty much reached the extent of your power upgrades.

You could drop a couple hundred on a new CDI unit, that will give you a little extra.

I would get a full exhaust system, a slip on is good, but replacing the rest of the system will help a little.

A cam mod is simple and easy to do, but will require you to start digging into your engine.

One of my friends put a "Scary Fast Power Now" reeds on his bike, he said it made a big diffrence. Personally I did not feel any change in his bike.

A head port job give great gains, and will not affect the mechanics of the bike, but again you will have to do engine work.

I am sure there are other little things you can do to get small power increses, but without engine work you are not going to get big gains.

+2 ;)

squadie
08-10-2009, 06:12 PM
Here's a link to the YFZCentral website, one of the pinned topics under Performance, for the exhaust cam mod.

http://yfz450.theatvchannel.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=59800

The other mod which I've found to have the biggest impact on my riding is an aftermarket linkage. I have the GT Thunder link for XC riding. Huge change -- the rear end stays down now over big bumps.

mxpimp2000
08-10-2009, 09:15 PM
FCI intake (comes with bigger K&N filter =more air flow) $200
High compression piston 13:1 on 06 makes 12 5:1 (what i run)$200 without labor
cam mod x2 (best free mod) $free
carb AC pump zip tie mod (no bog)$free
carb spring mod (easier throttle push)$free
upgrade ur slipon to full exhaust (header)

maska
08-11-2009, 07:22 AM
How exactly is the carb spring mod performed?

What is the zip tie mod?

Ride1Rob
08-11-2009, 08:55 AM
Wouldn't recommend the hc piston to him as it's more wear and tear on your motor. Save the $200 off of the FCI intake and get an ESR for $80. You'll spend $120 more on the FCI and the difference between the two is maybe .5hp if even that. Rule of thumb is you want to spend $100 per hp if you can. Save that $120 and put it toward portwork or a more aggressive cam.

Pack
08-11-2009, 09:11 AM
Do you have a link to the ESR Intake? I probably won't do any engine work besides the free cam mod. I don't want to get into the pistons, or the ports, etc.

But all of your replies are appreciated. Thanks guys.

yfzrider690
08-11-2009, 09:42 AM
From what I have read the esr intakes are crappy. Not first hand knowledge just what I have read. I have the modquad adapter with the over sized k&n. It's 130 bucks from rockymountain. The inside of the filter opening is about 4 1/2 inches. It's huge and barely fits in the stock airbox. You can do porting or get a drop in cam. MMAD desinged some drop in cams that gain power through the whole range and you don't have to upgrade the valves or springs. The cams are 225 a piece. I would get the intake one and do the cammod on the exhaust cam. And a high compression piston doesn't decrease the reliability barely at all. Stock compression is 11.4:1, you can go to 12.5:1 and still run pump gas and gain about 1hp over the whole range.

Ride1Rob
08-11-2009, 09:50 AM
They've gone up in price since I got mine (Almost 4yrs ago). The intake for the KFX400 and TRX400 is the same as what I payed for mine. The 450 intakes are now over $100. Here's a link to one for sale. If you do some looking around you'll find one for a good price. http://www.jokersracing.com/content-product_info/product_id-2571/yamaha_yfz450_airbox_eliminator_kit_eddie_sanders. html

Here's a Velocity intake that I found on ebay. These used to run over $100 but it seems they and ESR have switched places on pricing. I have not heard much about these but they do claim more hp than the ESR (Which is prob only around .1 or so hp). Not enough to feel the difference in your butt cheeks lol. One big difference that I see between the 2 are the airfilter sizes. Either way, better than the stock setup ;) . http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YFZ450-Velocity-Intake-kit-with-K-N-filter-450-YFZ_W0QQitemZ300329089767QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors _ATV_Parts_Accessories?hash=item45ed023ae7&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

Pack
08-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by yfzrider690
From what I have read the esr intakes are crappy. Not first hand knowledge just what I have read. I have the modquad adapter with the over sized k&n. It's 130 bucks from rockymountain. The inside of the filter opening is about 4 1/2 inches. It's huge and barely fits in the stock airbox. You can do porting or get a drop in cam. MMAD desinged some drop in cams that gain power through the whole range and you don't have to upgrade the valves or springs. The cams are 225 a piece. I would get the intake one and do the cammod on the exhaust cam. And a high compression piston doesn't decrease the reliability barely at all. Stock compression is 11.4:1, you can go to 12.5:1 and still run pump gas and gain about 1hp over the whole range.

How happy are you with that modquad adapter?

yfzrider690
08-11-2009, 12:09 PM
I love it. It comes with a adapter that you have to put on the airbox. You have to remove the old one and the new one comes with bolts, washers, and nuts to attach the new one. The filter is just huge. My brother has a '08 yfz and he bought the same one, my dad also has one on his raptor. The guy that does my work said that from the modquad to the fci intake you won't really notice any difference. So for the money I would go with the modquad. I have had mine for two years and have no complaint. I got mine from rockymountain for 130 bucks for the adapter, filter all hardware and the outerwear. Hell of a deal if you ask me.

Pack
08-11-2009, 12:24 PM
It seems that the 43 reviews are all positive about it too, I think that's what I'll end up getting as well. Thanks again, man.

yfzrider690
08-11-2009, 12:31 PM
No problem. You will notice quite a difference from just your stock gytr replacement filter. You might have to rejet to compensate for the more air you are going to be getting. Maybe a size up on your pilot and move the clip down one on the needle. I would ride it first and see how it runs.

BrettOaktree
08-12-2009, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by yfzrider690
I love it. It comes with a adapter that you have to put on the airbox. You have to remove the old one and the new one comes with bolts, washers, and nuts to attach the new one. The filter is just huge. My brother has a '08 yfz and he bought the same one, my dad also has one on his raptor. The guy that does my work said that from the modquad to the fci intake you won't really notice any difference. So for the money I would go with the modquad. I have had mine for two years and have no complaint. I got mine from rockymountain for 130 bucks for the adapter, filter all hardware and the outerwear. Hell of a deal if you ask me.

I just had to quote this because i too have an 08 yfz with the same intake from rockymountain and my dad and my dad also has a raptor and he has the same thing. But as far as the intake i agree 100% its great and it even comes with a prefilter.

xDeeVy465x
08-14-2009, 08:50 AM
Two dads:eek2:

mxpimp2000
08-14-2009, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by xDeeVy465x
Two dads:eek2:

lol:D

Toadz400
08-19-2009, 12:42 PM
Become a member on YFZCentral and ask these questions. You'll get a lot better answers and more in-depth for the YFZ. I would probably only ask Honda questions on this site because experienced Yamaha riders/builders are much fewer on this site.

If I were you I would try one thing at a time. Check out the Cam Mod links on YFZCentral, VERY easy to do as long as you follow the directions to a 'T' and take your time. Gives it a great mid-top end punch for absolutely free. Try this out and if you're still looking for more power then I would move onto a free flowing intake and a full exhaust to match. Then from there I'd do a port and polish before I touched any of the engine internals like doing a bigger bore or stroke.

Gearing will also make a big difference. If you do a lot of trails I would suggest a smaller front sprocket or if you want more top end speed I would use a smaller rear sprocket (reducing rotating mass helps power also).

If done right, none of those things will affect reliability. Just make sure that you're always jetted correctly!