PDA

View Full Version : Let's hear opinions on the Trackside pipe

tyler70t
08-09-2009, 07:01 PM
We want to start doing some mods to Tyler's quad and I think the pipe is coming next ( suspension is done), just want to know if the Trackside is as good as I have heard people say it is?

dazed&confused
08-10-2009, 05:52 AM
"guaranteed 5hp when bolted onto a STOCK 70 cvt"

STOCK is the key word here ,i don't doubt this is a good pipe for this application.but don't expect a big change in horse power unless you are running stock set up.

i have tested the trackside and the sms pipe on my malossi kit that is putting out about 15 .5 hp ,and the sms pipe performed much better on top end and with some clever clutching and gearing you can have a complete rocket. jmo

now if you are running stock motor then i would not hesitate to get the trackside.
good luck with what ever pipe you get, i am sure by the end of the day you will have a ton of suggestions and opinions.

08-10-2009, 07:33 AM
Now thats what im talking about the SMS pipe. Its a great pipe bottom and topend on our motors. It preforms well. Thanks SMS for the best pipe on the market.

dazed&confused
08-10-2009, 08:55 AM
easy Toby , i don't know if i would go that far ,but it is a great pipe ,but it takes alot of clutching to get it to work at it maximum peak.
it definatly shows more peak gain at top end than the trackside.

when we were running a stock cyl on our apex i,the sms pipe definately made huge gains on top and bottom ends over the stock apex pipe.

i believe that the trackside will do the same thing ,just in my tests on my quad the sms pipe performed better.

Toby ,i know you know alot about clutching and this stuff comes easy to you ,but for the average joe to put a snyder pipe on his quad and expect miricles and mad gains , they will be highly disapointed, and very frustrated trying to get it to work . i know this from experiance!

once again this is just my 2 cents worth.

marsrace2
08-10-2009, 10:07 AM
I have tested the trackside on the dyno in several configurations with huge results. On an Apex 90 motor with case mods and a ported cylinder, this motor made 11.5 hp with the Apex Mx pipe, by bolting on the trackside pipe with no other changes this motor went to 16.3 HP and made power past 14,000 rpm. I have another 90 motor built by SMS, Shawn claimed this motor made 16hp with his pipe, although I never tested the SMS pipe this motor made 19.5 hp with the trackside pipe. So no arguments from me and no claims of the best in the world, just real real life results.

tyler70t
08-10-2009, 10:32 AM
It will be going on a stock apex 90,,just fyi

marsrace2
08-10-2009, 10:41 AM
I have seen dyno results on that you should be very pleased.

marsrace2
08-10-2009, 10:52 AM
there you go again Toby, no one is dogging the SMS pipe here, just posting thoughts on a different pipe.

08-10-2009, 10:58 AM
Again mars IMO don't forget that by the way do you own trackside since you always say the same thing about trackside as I do SMS so let's roll with it.

marsrace2
08-10-2009, 11:06 AM
I own A Trackside pipe and love it, I was fortunate enough to be able to make a 2 hour drive to Trackside and see the pipe tested on the dyno with my motors before I bought it. Greg was confident enough in his product to offer to prove the result to me before I bought it using my motor that he didnt even build. So yes, I am a loyal Trackside Performance customer now.

dazed&confused
08-10-2009, 11:32 AM
i thought we were posting opinions not acusations?!

both are good pipes ,just my opinion on my motor and set up, the sms pipe worked better for us.

bignasty
08-10-2009, 03:32 PM
IMO it depends what you are racing. Arenacross, might use a metrakit pipe, or SMS pipe, or trackside pipe. go figure... you basically need to decide what you are trying to accomplish. MX track might require a big pipe depending on the rider, how they take the jumps, or how they are on flats. A dyno will tellyou so much, but real time track riding is where its at. Like I say IMO....:) :) :)

08-10-2009, 04:27 PM
Wow did this same thread come about a month or two ago and here it goes the same way as it did before. Everyone should know NOT ALL PIPES WORK THE SAME ON EACH OTHERS MOTOR!!! You just have to try and find the best pipe for your riding technique. No one can actually say what pipe to run UNLESS they built it and watch you ride. IMO IMO

tyler70t
08-10-2009, 04:32 PM
Guys,
First of all thanks for the feedback, I appreciate and respect each of your opinions. Secondly , I didn't mean to start a war. Lastly, I stopped @ Wiley Mods today and the Trackside is on the way. I will give my opinion of it in about 2 weeks after our first race with it on Tyler's quad. Thanks everyone!!!!!!!:cool:

dazed&confused
08-11-2009, 05:35 AM
good luck to you and your son Tyler70t.

BIGNASTY you hit the nail rite on the head ,i totally agree.

GOOD LUCK THIS WEEKEND TO EVERYBODY AT LORETTAS ,AND
CONGRATS TO ALL THE SEASON ENDING CHAMPS.

marsrace2
08-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Congratulations, I am sure you will be very happy with it.

rmuscle
08-11-2009, 01:06 PM
had the snyder pipe and got rid of it after about 4 races. it def made a small diff (key word small) on the top end , but could not get out of the whole if are life depended on it. and we tryed all sorts of different types of clutching . jimo

rmuscle
08-11-2009, 01:19 PM
not trying to dog the snyder pipe either , some made a good point in that different pipes will work better for different motors , this one just happened to not work so well for ours . i had a pipe built by my motor builder and it works for my motor. with the snyder we couldnt get over 11000 rpms and now we are over 14000 . now i no someone who used a similar pipe to mine and there bike was a dog with it

JIM GRACE
08-11-2009, 06:57 PM
jeff, so is it gonna be on the tylers quad for saturdays race:devil:

tyler70t
08-12-2009, 10:26 AM
Jim,
I wish it was but Paul @ Wiley Mods is @ Loretta Lynn's this weekend so I will have it as soon as he gets back. It will be on for the next Atco race, can't wait to see what kind of difference it makes on his quad!

wvspeedfreak
08-12-2009, 07:10 PM
You guys are going to have so much time on your hands once the kids move up to 4 stroke shifters,you won't know what to do :p
Gas it up,check the oil and turn it loose.I actually got to mow my yard this year since I don't have the mini to constantly tweak with :p

I do kinda miss it though.

tyler70t
08-20-2009, 04:10 PM
Well guys the pipe came in and is on the quad now. Wow what a difference!!! It was a tight fit getting it on but I got it in there,it's right on the frame @ the bottom though. Tyler says the thing is so much quicker now but we'll see what happens on Sunday @ the track. Stayed with the same jetting that was in the carb with the stock pipe for now but after a couple laps @ practice I guess I'll pull the plug and make sure it's not running too lean....I'll update you guys on how it helps Tyler after Sundays race.......Jeff:blah:

riding4fun
08-20-2009, 04:32 PM
:D Good deal.

markp95
08-20-2009, 07:51 PM
Grandson rides a 09 Apex LT in GNCC, which pipe would you recommend? Stock class this year, probably modified next year.

08-20-2009, 07:56 PM
Well if your gonna run GNCC look at Charlie Welch won his national with the SNYDER PIPE!! Hope this helps you out.

motoxgirl419
08-20-2009, 08:35 PM
we put one on a 70cc drr and it was like night and day this little thing rips and the thing is we put it on a stock set up and you would not believe the way this thing runs.. two thumbs up!!!!!

marsrace2
08-20-2009, 10:01 PM
Glad to hear you like it, I was sure you would. I spent months researching EVERY pipe that was on the market and as it turned out the best one I could find was right here in Minnesota. Trackside rules!!!!

tyler70t
08-23-2009, 02:43 PM
This pipe is INCREDIBLE, Tyler was 2nd out of the holeshot in both motos today. The only 90 that was in front of him was Travis Wotring, and he is SUPER fast! With some unfortunate things for some fast riders, Tyler took his best overall finish yet a 2ND! I am absolutely positive that this pipe had a lot to do with his holeshots and overall finish......Just a little update....Jeff

marsrace2
08-23-2009, 04:43 PM
Glad to hear it.

tyler70t
08-23-2009, 05:32 PM
A pic of today's holeshot with the new pipe: Tyler is on the orange Apex

coffing918
08-24-2009, 06:31 PM
i saw his holeshot and he was fast getting there too.

hotquads1
08-25-2009, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by tyler70t
A pic of today's holeshot with the new pipe: Tyler is on the orange Apex
nice pic, great holeshot, I wonder what pipe that is on Travis' Wotring's quad , they thing is smokin' FAST !

tyler70t
08-25-2009, 08:17 AM
Yes, that's the back end of Travis in front of Tyler, I'm sure you know all about his quad. Steve is an excellent tuner and Travis is an outstanding racer, you are lucky to have the 2 of them as part of the Hot Quads Team!

don bassani
08-30-2009, 10:01 PM
Wotring runs a pipe off a ford 8N farm tractor.Travis has poor reaction time so steve makes up for it with large tires and a 50 tooth rear sprocket!!!!!!!!!!!!Travis Wotring has dominated holeshots for years.Steve is the master of clutching.

don bassani
08-30-2009, 10:01 PM
Wotring runs a pipe off a ford 8N farm tractor.Travis has poor reaction time so steve makes up for it with large tires and a 50 tooth rear sprocket!!!!!!!!!!!!Travis Wotring has dominated holeshots for years.Steve is the master of clutching.

#404's Dad
08-31-2009, 12:52 PM
I'd like to test one of these on the dyno when I do the rest of them if someone has one to loan out later this off season.

marsrace2
08-31-2009, 01:38 PM
I may be able to help you out with that, what others will you have to test?

#404's Dad
08-31-2009, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by marsrace2
I may be able to help you out with that, what others will you have to test?

I have a few of my own ( stock Apex, DRR, Snyder, an older WRH and so on ) here to test and then there were several members on my site that offered to send theirs in anywhere from Stock to Custom.

08-31-2009, 02:31 PM
Corey I have a Technigas and Koso 1st generation I can send you if you want?? LMK

marsrace2
08-31-2009, 02:37 PM
COOL. I will see what I can do. I may be able to borrow one from Trackside to send you. I dont want to send mine since I have had it ceramic coated, it would probably be better if you test exactly the way people will receive when they buy. When do you think you will be testing?

#404's Dad
08-31-2009, 03:29 PM
It all depends on the interest, its alot of work and if there is lil or no interest I will wait but none the less I need to get past one more National and 3 more local races for sure

#404's Dad
08-31-2009, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by tgcheeseman
Corey I have a Technigas and Koso 1st generation I can send you if you want?? LMK

sounds good Toby .

marsrace2
08-31-2009, 03:42 PM
I just saw this on ATV Young Guns

6 Good Reasons To Run A Trackside Pipe!

2009 AMA-ATV MX National Champions

Cory Heath - 50cc Sr.

Jacob French - 70cc Mod.

Alex Szymborski - 70cc SS

Alex Szymborski - 90cc Jr Prod.

Zack Thompson - 90cc CVT

Chase Horton - 90cc Prod.

08-31-2009, 04:46 PM
Wow are you serious.

tyler70t
08-31-2009, 05:07 PM
Well guys here is the latest update. Saturday Tyler took the holeshot in both motos and won his first ever moto. ( moto one led from flag to flag). In the second moto he was in first place with a lap and a half to go when somehow we shredded the stator, quad started missing then died and no spark. Pulled flywheel cover off and found it full of mud and pieces of copper. He must have been through some serious mud during practice and it got through that hole in the front of the plastic cover. I was one unhappy father but I'm sure you guys have all been there, just hurts when he was on his way to his first overall win, oh well, there's plenty more races this year. Once again I have to say the Trackside Pipe has a lot to do with the fact Tyler got his first moto win!!! And by the way I want to thank Paul @ Wiley Mods for steering me in this direction!!!

marsrace2
08-31-2009, 05:34 PM
You may want to check out that new Stator cover from ZTR, we have one and it is way better than the cheap stock one.

Yes Toby, serious.

tyler70t
09-03-2009, 03:24 PM
Well with the help a great guy we are back up and running. Come to find out it wasn't the mud that chewed up the stator it was one of the 2 screws that holds it in backed out on it's own and was tearing that stator apart. Rebuilt the water pump, frame is welded, and new stator in, ready for the Raceway Park season finale for youth's on Saturday, will be the first race @ this track with the Trackside....will update Saturday night on how it worked on a faster track.....Jeff

marsrace2
09-03-2009, 04:29 PM
it really sings at high RPM, You should really see good results on a bigger track.