PDA

View Full Version : Elbows????

Doibugu2
01-09-2003, 01:22 PM
I was watching that show on ATV Television last night. I think only direct Tv has the outdoor network. But anyway, I noticed that the pro's elbows were way up in the air. They were usually well over the handle bars. Why is that?

Here are my guesses:

1) They ride like that so if they hit something, there elblows don't jam into there stomach and brake some ribs.

2) It is so that they can lean faster.

3) I will leave one open for Jabber.

Thanks

Doug

01-09-2003, 01:48 PM
YOu have MUCH better control over the quad with elbows out,,riding this way will make you faster and a better rider/racer..

That pretty much goes for all ATV racing...

Tommy 17
01-09-2003, 01:58 PM
its called the attack position... elbows bent knees bent leaning forward...

chavez
01-09-2003, 02:00 PM

Pappy
01-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by 400ex21
elbows bent knees bent leaning forward...

dont try that at hatfield:eek: :blah

chavez
01-09-2003, 02:04 PM
check out this pro lol

MxDale71
01-10-2003, 02:59 PM
"Elbows up," applies to any kind of offroad racing, whether it's motocross, cross country, bikes, or quads. You're a lot more maneuverable (sp?) w/ your elbows up, and knees bent w/ your @ss just a little off the seat. If you butt is on the seat, it will throw you around everywhere, and if your knees and elbows are locked while in the air, you better hope for a smooth landing. If you case a big double or triple w/ your knees/elbows locked, you are likely to wreck and be leaving the track w/ a broken knee or elbow. You want to use your knees and elbows as added suspension.

Doibugu2
01-10-2003, 03:33 PM
Makes sense, and it was kind of what I figured.

Thanks for the info.

Doug.

Regulator 250X
01-10-2003, 08:58 PM
when is ATV television on OLN?? ive been trying to find out forever but never found the website...

01-10-2003, 10:53 PM
its not oln its on the outdorr channel, i got a riding techniques book i try to do the stuff they say i think i have a decent riding style

MxDale71
01-10-2003, 11:22 PM
I like to think this is pretty darn good riding style. This is a pic of me at Village Creek for Rnd 1 of the TQRA winter warm up series.

kc 300EX
01-10-2003, 11:37 PM
Hahahahahah You guys look soooo stupid! riding with your elbows in the air like that, bunch of chickens or something! You should Ride like the kool people, all the way back on the seat in a recliner position, you only need one hand to drive too, you can hold your beer in the other, cant wear a helmet either, they look stupid and are heavy, and you cant drink through them!

(yea Im kidding)

01-10-2003, 11:45 PM
wew i was gonna call u a fag til i read the bottom:blah

kc 300EX
01-11-2003, 12:14 AM
You never know, some people cant take a joke(especially a bad joke) I just wanted to make sure I didn't get a "Nuh uh, tim far rides with his elbows up and hes kooler than you, yur stoopid"

I have to spell out when Im joking so it's not mistaken for something other than a joke

250rmike
01-11-2003, 08:25 AM
hey sometime i ride with one. like when my hand is hurt or i need it for something else

Sparks425Ex
01-11-2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Rico
YOu have MUCH better control over the quad with elbows out,,riding this way will make you faster and a better rider/racer..

That pretty much goes for all ATV racing...

Very True.

Elbows bent and out and knees bent and leanign a little forward is the fastest way to ride.

dabombdale
01-11-2003, 09:37 AM
usually your elbows have to be out because where the seat curves near the gas tank is where you are supposed to be, and when you are that close yor elbows are bent...It helps me lean into turns also because i have more control

01-11-2003, 03:08 PM
WOuld this be considered the attack position??:eek:

Ryan
01-11-2003, 03:21 PM
Cool picture Rico. Who is that anyways?

On the elbows out thing, I never learned how to ride a different way:huh . Once you start riding with your elbows out, it seems as I have better controll around the corners and jumps.

The size of me on my blaster, its almost impossible to ride with your elbows strieght. :huh ;)

01-12-2003, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by R8
Cool picture Rico. Who is that anyways?

Joe Byrd at Daniel Boone...

Doibugu2
01-12-2003, 10:51 AM
Joe Byrd at Daniel Boone...

If I go there, I don't think I will be jumping that!

01-12-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Doibugu2

Actually they filled it in..when i took that pic,,outta 600+ racers or so that attended that natikonal.. Probably 10 guys total hit that jump..it's huge..everyone of them bottomed out bad too when landing...:eek:

Doibugu2
01-12-2003, 11:04 AM
Being 20 or so feet off the ground, I don't think I am quite ready for that. Got to start out a little smaller.

Runnin Dumb
01-12-2003, 11:42 AM
Being 20 or so feet off the ground, I don't think I am quite ready for that. Got to start out a little smaller.

A couple of concrete blocks and some 2x12s in the driveway will work:p That's how I got my start:macho

Doibugu2
01-12-2003, 11:47 AM
You obviously moved up from there.

Jumping down the sides of mountains at H/M, just to try and stay leader! :D

tants
01-12-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by MxDale71
I like to think this is pretty darn good riding style. This is a pic of me at Village Creek for Rnd 1 of the TQRA winter warm up series.

man you got some chicken legs

Ryan
01-12-2003, 04:11 PM

Yeah I was thinking that too. Looks a little big and I sure wouldn't want to come short on that. I don't see alot of jumps like that on tracks that ive seen :huh

Syrus
01-12-2003, 07:33 PM
WOuld this be considered the attack position??:eek:

rico your one awsome guy. I never seen someone so dedicated (sp) then you before, your a great rider, keep the pics coming they make good background for my comp lol.

If your ever in Canada give me a shout :o by then i should have my 400 :D

QuadR8cer12
01-12-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by MxDale71
I like to think this is pretty darn good riding style. This is a pic of me at Village Creek for Rnd 1 of the TQRA winter warm up series. He man dont be makin fun of the mans chicken legs!!:rolleyes: :blah but hey MXDale71 did you go to the Rnd 2 tqra? I couldnt have quad problems like allways!!:rolleyes:
it was snowing when I called up there to check up on the races. But anyways here is a pic of me jumping........

QuadR8cer12
01-12-2003, 07:52 PM
and another :D

QuadR8cer12
01-12-2003, 07:54 PM
I like my rideing style(most of the time;) )

MxDale71
01-12-2003, 08:10 PM
Ok dude, I know I"m not a big guy. Less weight to slow me down right? LOL.

Ya, I raced today. Got 4th overall. I got the holeshot in the first moto but my hands were so cold that by the second lap, I accidently gave it to much gas in the first corner and ran off the track and two guys got passed me, and I had a pretty solid hold on 3rd. In the second moto, we got a bit hung up and 2 guys got around it. Me and the guy that got 1st in the 1st moto were battling like crazy for 3rd, but he ended up getting around me and I settled at 4th. It was snowing while we were racing, but Russ did a good job of getting everyone up and going. The races started a little after 11 and we were done by 1:30. You shoulda been there man. I'm still not quite up to speed, but I'm just taking it easy and gonna practice a lot. I'm more worried about having a good time and finishing the races now, than I am about trying to win. Pushing myself to hard kicked my @ss last season.

QuadR8cer12
01-12-2003, 08:15 PM
sweet man I wanted to be there soo bad!! But I am saving up for a 400ex with the cr250 in it from service honda:D Good job with the race! How much did they change up the track? I heard they put in a over under??

MxDale71
01-12-2003, 10:10 PM
Oh dude, remember when you come down the big hill and there's a table top and the camel back? Well, he took the camel back out and put a huge double there, but your going the other direction there now. And where the table was, it looks like he just made a take off infront of it a uses the table as a landing (pretty much a huge double step up). Hunter and Cody were going HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE on that. So now it's #2, kind of a long sweeping right corner, big double, HUGE double step up, uphill, turn to the right (instead of left like on the old night track), down hill, left 180 corner, right 90 corner, and a couple of triples going into the back section. If you're facing the track standing at the tower, the right side is basically unchanged and the left side is TOTALLLLLY different. It's still pretty awesome though. He said he's gonna be working on it again though, so next time back the track will be different again.

P.S. I'm in 3rd in the points standings right now. I have 30 pts. and 1st place has 38 pts. Not bad considering I had a really crappy race at Village.

Ryan
01-13-2003, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by Syrus
rico your one awsome guy. I never seen someone so dedicated (sp) then you before, your a great rider, keep the pics coming they make good background for my comp lol.

If your ever in Canada give me a shout :o by then i should have my 400 :D

Syrus
01-13-2003, 08:21 AM
um... lick my balls ?