PDA

View Full Version : swingarm skidplate solution

moshachusetts
08-09-2009, 08:41 AM
so far i've broken off and lost 3 swingarm skid plates due to the small bolts snapping off the first ride. then i tried a gt thunder sprocket guard and thats a piece of junk as well, i've used it twice and its bashed in so bad i have to take it off or it's going to pinched the chain and cause engine damage. their rotor guard is a POS too, cracked that in half first ride and bent my rotor.

i plan on getting another skid guard and drilling out and tapping the mounting holes to a larger screw size.

has anyone done this and has it held up for you?

maybe its because i live in New England and its extremely rocky here. but so far i've spent $600 on swingarm protection and have to find a good solution soon.

Thanks

standardryder
08-09-2009, 04:24 PM
I hear ya. I snapped all but 1 bolt first ride with a new swinger guard. Mass is bad but parts of nh are way worse. I drilled through mine with a 3/8 drilled and used some 3/8-16 bolts havnt had any problems with it at all. Tapping the swinger would probably be a lot better though.

moshachusetts
08-09-2009, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by standardryder
I hear ya. I snapped all but 1 bolt first ride with a new swinger guard. Mass is bad but parts of nh are way worse. I drilled through mine with a 3/8 drilled and used some 3/8-16 bolts havnt had any problems with it at all. Tapping the swinger would probably be a lot better though.

funny you say that about nh, thats where i do most of my riding.
i'm gonna go ahead and tap them out larger,gotta be better than what i'm dealing with now, thanks

standardryder
08-09-2009, 04:32 PM
ride pisgah?

moshachusetts
08-09-2009, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by standardryder
ride pisgah?

just once,didn't find it too exciting. mostly hopkinton-everrett and just recently the bound tree trails.