PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Q

CJM
08-09-2009, 08:35 AM
Bought my 400 used off this kid, its in pretty good shape.

However I had been trying to tune the carb recently and it just wont run properly.

Looking at the exhaust hanger the kid drilled screws into the muffler in a few places to hold it on.. Im wondering if part of my issue is a exhaust leak. The muffler is a duncan racing and has 2 pipes that go into 1 muffler.

Screws go ALL the way into muffler and deff are causing an exhaust leak b/c of the black carbon build up around them. The mufflers dented a bit, so perhaps I should just get a new muffler?

Any opinions on maybe getting a different exhaust system? The duncan racing one I have has (2) 1 inch pipes that go into the muffler.

Its this exhaust: http://www.atvmagonline.com/images/elements/30961_pipes_DUNCAN.jpg

ETA: It seems they no longer make this pipe.. Anyone got one laying around for a decent price, otherwise im gonna have to weld the holes shut. Also while searching apparently DMC makes a very similar one-anyone know where to find it, I looked.

CJM
08-09-2009, 11:54 AM
Anyone, someone got a line on a duncan or DMC exhaust that may work for an ok price?

CJM
08-09-2009, 07:50 PM
Ok gonna try muffler repair putty instead since no one has anything.

bigbad400
08-10-2009, 08:28 PM
i know its expensive but i would not mess with trying to "fix" an exhaust system, especially with putty or anything of the sorts. you need a new one. id try to find a used one on ebay. if you cant find one on ebay there is something wrong, try a hmf or curtis sparks or yoshimura any one of those prolly out performs the one you have now anyway. exhaust is a very important part of performance, dents welds and skrews all slow down air flow thus loosing power.

CJM
08-16-2009, 08:31 PM
Well ive used muffler repair putty before. It will hold up fine but it wont look pretty.

The duncan one apparently is over a 500 dollar exhaust back when they still made them. Its not just a pipe but a whole system.

Im not made of cash so for now ill repair it and use it till I can get something else.