PDA

View Full Version : Oil change question with a twist

mmbintn
08-09-2009, 06:51 AM
Well I just changed the oil in the 400 and now I have to let it idle to get the oil into the motor but I also just rbuilt the motor with an 11:1 piston and stage 2 cam. The directions on the cam (and what some have told me here) say to get the motor above 3000 rpms and dont let it idle at all. The manual says to let it idle for a few minutes to get the oil into the motor and not to give it gas until then. So I am stuck in a catch 22, if you will.
Will it harm the cam to let it idle for a minute or two just to let the oil get down to the motor. I mean obviously a motor cant run at 3000 without oil. Thanks for and help, Micah.

nakomis0
08-09-2009, 08:07 AM
Rev it.

When you put the cam in you ussually coat it with oil for this very reason (moly oil if I remember correctly). The piston I coat with just normal motor oil.

Either way if you rev it or idle it, oil is going to get pumped in the motor. I think the cam only gets oil by the cam chain pulling oil up so it needs to have some rpms to get more oil up there.

matt14c
08-09-2009, 08:53 AM
Turn your kill switch off and turn your motor over to pump some oil in the motor without it running. As long as you used assembly lube or coated the parts with oil for that initial fire you will be fine.

Gibson
08-09-2009, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by matt14c
Turn your kill switch off and turn your motor over to pump some oil in the motor without it running. As long as you used assembly lube or coated the parts with oil for that initial fire you will be fine.

that's exactly what i did before i fired mine up for the first time. then when i started it, i held it around 1/4 throttle for about two or three minutes.

TRXRacer1
08-09-2009, 12:03 PM
Whether you turn the motor over with or without spark the parts are still turning. If you put oil in it after the change and pre-lubed the parts during assembly start the thing. It's not that sensitive to worry this much.

mmbintn
08-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Thanks guys I went and rode it today. I did what nakomis0 said and it ran great. Although the 25 minute cam break in is really boring. After that though I let it cool down and went out to see what it would do........WOW. It's so much more powerful now.

Thanks to everybody, Micah