PDA

View Full Version : Intake Question

IcutMetl
08-08-2009, 10:13 PM
I have a silly question. If you run your airbox with the lid off, or lid on with holes/foam plugs in it, is there any advantage to using the air intake tube? One less thing to put on if I don't need it; just need to make a plug for the opening.

Also, on a side note- why is the stock sprocket hub so damn hard to get off? Mine must be rusted and siezed on there something fierce because I can't get it to budge to even get at the locking ring!!

deathman53
08-08-2009, 10:38 PM
There is an advantage to no lid or lid with holes in it, MORE AIR. Also, you need to clean the filter more often. As for the sprocket hub, its not supposed to come off. It can be pressed off, first you need to press in it, remove the clip and then press it out. I don't see why you would need to remove it. They don' go bad too often and most replace it with a aftermarket axle anyway.

leager-n-ky
08-09-2009, 06:50 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200371317840&viewitem=&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

Here is the plug you need..

IcutMetl
08-09-2009, 07:45 AM
Yep- I'm watching that same plug. I'm wondering if anybody still makes them and they are available more readily other places. I guess I could always make one...just looking for an easier way.

The reason why I need my sprocket hub off is that my old axle was badly bent- I bought a stock axle with wheel hubs off ebay- but it didn't have a sprocket hub. So; I'm trying to switch them since I haven't found a spare hub. I figured you had to press it in slightly, take off the ring, then press off the end of the axle...but I haven't had good luck with a mallet and pb blaster yet and I don't have a press. I'll probably end up taking it into a shop and have them do it.

My next project is the rear end. Rear shock, axle, carrier, and hubs....right now I'm keeping it low cost.

Thanks for the help!

leager-n-ky
08-09-2009, 10:05 AM
Definitely going to need a press.

05LSR250R
08-09-2009, 04:32 PM
If your looking to remove your snorkel and want a cheap and clean looking way to plug the hole then just go to an autoparts store and purchase a freeze plug! Just measure the hole and find one thats the same size! Thats what I did! You can get chrome also but it wont be as cheap! I paid 30 cents for mine!:D

croat1
08-11-2009, 08:26 AM
i found that air box plug in an old nacs catalog. they were 10 dollars. i talked to nacs a couple weeks ago and they said they would start making them again in a month or two. i have never seen anyone else make them. if it was me i would just get a piece of aluminum stock and turn my own part.

for a woods bike i run the stock snorkle with a ehs racing airbox lid. amazing how this setup repells water and keeps the dust/mud out. washed and oiled the filter and went to hatfield mccoy and wayne national (12 + hours of riding) and the filter still looks like i just put it in.

MossboysRacing
08-11-2009, 03:34 PM
Another option to trying to press off the sprocket hub is to get a 400ex axle. When my axle got bent racing xc, i bought a 400ex axle, with the sprockt hub on, hubs ( which u will need off a 300ex, 400ex, or 450r) and lock-nut for like 65 bucks. It will drop right in your carrier with no problems. They are easy to find used in good shape for pretty cheap usually