PDA

View Full Version : Had my first race today and... Check Engine Light

X400EX
08-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Hi everyone,

Today, I've tried my first race with my DS. It was pretty cool except if it wouldn't had stalled in the 2nd race when I was 2nd. :ermm:

The engine came off like for nothing, I've noticed the check engine light staying on after that. I fired it back and the light stayed on. Did like 200 feet, then engine cutted off again. Had trouble to fired it back this time, I've decided to get off the race.

I've started it back 2 minutes later and no check engine light. All seemed normal.

What's going on?

xrxmxcx
08-10-2009, 09:01 AM
Sure it wasn't your low fuel light?

TNT
08-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by X400EX
Hi everyone,

Today, I've tried my first race with my DS. It was pretty cool except if it wouldn't had stalled in the 2nd race when I was 2nd. :ermm:

The engine came off like for nothing, I've noticed the check engine light staying on after that. I fired it back and the light stayed on. Did like 200 feet, then engine cutted off again. Had trouble to fired it back this time, I've decided to get off the race.

I've started it back 2 minutes later and no check engine light. All seemed normal.

What's going on?

I’m going to take a stab at this and I don’t have my manual to verify this so part intuition here k….

You were running hot there is a safe mode engine/light circuit that activates until it’s cool. Take all the cooling precautions do all the mod’s on this site to prevent this. You had the limp removed if I remember right this is different…..you may also need a tune and are running lean…if you can find a dyno temp tune that will help too.

TNT
08-10-2009, 06:53 PM
We got a similar thing on today we are trying to solve where we start easy cold then can’t start hot. They thought the ECU needs to be flashed for new idle input parameters but I told them that makes no sense since others have done mod’s without having to flash the ECU which our dealer can’t even do this has to go to Warnert. The PC3 so I’m told can remap but not the idle/start up. They removed some codes today and will try and tune out our hot start prob on the dyno tomorrow….sounds like we will pushing the quad to the gate at LL unless someone knows about this problem with hot starts?

I really wish they get rid of this extraneous crap with engine lights, safe modes, codes, and make it simpler to turn this quad into a race machine.

X400EX
08-10-2009, 08:14 PM
Terry, thanks a lot for your help.

I do still have the limp mode but what you are saying looks right.

One of my friend just told me he had the same problem a few weeks ago. He did all the cooling mods and never had this problem again. I will give it a try!

andiboy123
08-10-2009, 08:30 PM
HEY TNT IM STILL WAITING FOR YOU TO TELL ME ABOUT THE HEEL GARDS!!!!!!!

TNT
08-11-2009, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by andiboy123
HEY TNT IM STILL WAITING FOR YOU TO TELL ME ABOUT THE HEEL GARDS!!!!!!!

Decided to keep them sorry! :D

florentino
08-11-2009, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by TNT
We got a similar thing on today we are trying to solve where we start easy cold then can’t start hot. They thought the ECU needs to be flashed for new idle input parameters but I told them that makes no sense since others have done mod’s without having to flash the ECU which our dealer can’t even do this has to go to Warnert. The PC3 so I’m told can remap but not the idle/start up. They removed some codes today and will try and tune out our hot start prob on the dyno tomorrow….sounds like we will pushing the quad to the gate at LL unless someone knows about this problem with hot starts?

I really wish they get rid of this extraneous crap with engine lights, safe modes, codes, and make it simpler to turn this quad into a race machine.

i keep my fan on at all times.. and one thing that i do now is to always clean the relay conections .. i had limp mode my self and no more.. and i still have the 2008 program .. a litte race gas to run cooler and i wrap my heather with hi temp insulation ..

Claas900
08-12-2009, 05:29 PM
I've heard the PC3 can do start ups,but on some bikes its not powered up wile cranking. Take note and see when it powers up. It might come on with the key,then again after cranking. Iv'e been told if you can keep it alive wile cranking then you can tune it for cranking. But this is all hear say so.
But then again the PC maps start at 500rpms I think most motors crank around 350rpm???

X400EX
08-12-2009, 06:15 PM
Thanks for all the replies!

A little update : I've noticed that my positive connector to the battery was way too loose (I had no power anymore, that was the reason).

Then It was running ok, but was dying when I was releasing the throttle. It was actually dying when going back to idle.

I've removed my idle pass valve, it was really dirty and there were dust on it. :ermm: Cleaned with carb cleaner, then went back to road test and ran perfectly. :)

I would like to know, could I put some carb cleaner in my intake (as I was doing with my 400ex) while my DS is running? Could I damage the fuel injection or would it just clean the whole thing?

Thanks.

X400EX
08-15-2009, 08:26 AM
Anyone?