PDA

View Full Version : Help pleas!!!!

Goob
08-07-2009, 11:08 AM
Ok when I was puttin on my exhaust I tighted it too tight on the motor and broke the stud off in it. I've tried an eaze out and broke it off now it's in the shop and they said they didn't know if they would be able to get it has this happened to anyone else an does anybody have any ideas

chillytater
08-07-2009, 12:01 PM
i have an old trick i learned from my grand father who was a 4th generation welder on takeing out broken bolts. first get a piece of round bar stock as close to the diamter of your bolt only needs to be about a foot or so bend a 90 about 3 to 4 inches back . grind a bevle on the short end. take a welder and hit the bolt to build it up in small incerment let it cool between (more inportant with the alum head in this case) every tack build it up till you have a soild base to weld the belved end of rod now very carefully ( dont think just you have this bar welded on you get it out ) work in back and forth if you can get one full turn you more then likely got it. it takes a little time but it does work i have used this on many a twisted off head bolts in cars. hope this helps

chillytater
08-07-2009, 12:02 PM
you may have to re tap the threads but it should take it out

Ba9801
08-07-2009, 07:22 PM
I actually just fixed a similar problem, it was on a Yamaha though. The bolt was broken and someone tried to drill it out but drilled it crooked and then broke the easy out in there. What I did was use a small carbide bit for a dremel tool to grind around the bolt. Now this is only for those worste case scenarios as this only gets worse. anyway once I ground around the bolt I was able to break it free from the head and remove it with a small pliers, now the problem is I have a much larger hole than needed and it is not round as the last guy drilled it badly, well we then had to tig weld up the complete hole and then redrill and tap the hole to accept the new stud. It worked very well but it takes alot of time to get it all right.

CJM
08-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Best advice there. ^

brokenmike
08-08-2009, 10:03 AM
seriously get some acetone and some automotive automatic transmission fluid, mix it 50/50 and let it soak for a bit. This will work way better than WD-40, PB Blaster, liquid wrench and kroil.

Goob
08-08-2009, 03:38 PM
K I haven't heard back from the shop yet hopefully they will get it out w no problem but if not I will try what u guys have recommended