View Full Version : boggin out need help

bullett
08-06-2009, 09:41 PM
I went riding today and while I was in 2nd about to shift into 3rd and also while i was in 3rd ready to shift to 4th the power completely cuts out. It will idle fine after this happens but if i give it gas it completely bogs out. It almost feels like when I've hit a huge puddle and theres a lil bit of water in my air box. I just cleaned my air filter and changed the oil before this ride. Its an 07 has just a slipon, my jetting is 40 pilot and i believe either 150 or 152 main, I only went up 2 on the main jet from stock but i cant remember what stock was. Any help is greatly appreciated!

honda400ex2003
08-06-2009, 09:55 PM
stock is a 148 lol. does it do this at a certain rpm by chance too. i have had the needle come loose from the arm that moves it up and down. i am not sure about this being your case but it sounds similar to mine. it was bogging once it would hit the needle and want it to start moving into the main. you may be running rich on the needle position too though. what is yours at now? i would try to go up a position on the clip if your plug looks good and it runs good other than at a certain rpm. good luck, steve

bullett
08-07-2009, 08:50 AM
Its mostly when i go into higher rpms. Most of the time it happens to me when im climbing up a sandwall. Theres a lip right before the wall so i jump up the wall and when i land it bogs out. It just started happening too, I thought it couldve been my quad overheating so i bought spal fan but that didnt chnage anything. I didn't adjust my needle at all when I jetted my quad just changed the jets out, could that be the problem?

hondaman23
08-07-2009, 10:23 AM
this happened to my 300 i jetted the carb and still did it so i brought it to a shop and said i am hitting the rev limiter. it happens in the higher rpms right

honda400ex2003
08-07-2009, 10:24 AM
Check out your plug and see how it looks. that will help out a ton to find out how your jetting is. then go from there, yoiu may be a bit rich on the main but it starts to get worse as the needle gets further out of the jet. good luck, steve

bullett
08-07-2009, 10:38 AM
Alright sounds good I'll give those a try. I don't think its the rev limiter because I'm shifting before I get to that point. It's boggin as if it has water in the air box but the weird thing is that is does it even after I stop and put it in neutral, it takes a few seconds to kind of catch up with itself, I'm thinking its the jetting and I'm probably getting to much fuel in. I'm going to pull my plug after work and see what it looks like. I'm not even sure if I should've even jetted the bike. The directions that came with my slip on said it works with stock jetting but then I was browsing some threads and it says they come lean from the dealer so I went ahead and did it. Thanks again

honda400ex2003
08-07-2009, 11:06 PM
let us know how the plug looks and such, no prob, steve

bullett
08-08-2009, 07:52 AM
The head of the plug was black but the little pin was a brownish white color. I dropped it back down to the stock main jet im going riding today ill see how it runs and post back up after.

honda400ex2003
08-08-2009, 10:33 AM
sounds like it was a bit rich but it should have ran pretty good like that. What is the rest of your jetting too? see how it does today. lol, steve

bullett
08-08-2009, 09:42 PM
After dropping the main jet back to the 148 she ran perfect, no bogging at all I was actually able to climb the sand wall today. My pilot is at 40 right now Steve.

honda400ex2003
08-09-2009, 10:37 PM
sounds good that it ran right today for you. a Edit: 40 should be ok for you too. as long as it is running good now you are set. steve

bullett
08-10-2009, 08:51 AM
50 pilot? I do notice when I'm in 1st just putting around the yard or when im pulling the quad into the garage it does seem to kind of cut in and out like its not getting enough fuel, maybe ill switch that out, i know when i had the 42 pilot in there it seemed to be getting too much fuel because if i hammered it from a stop it would shut off.

honda400ex2003
08-10-2009, 09:49 AM
whoops sory it should have been a 40. lol typo, i would try to turn the f/a out a bit and see how it works. try to turn it out to the highest idle and see how it runs then. you can go back a bit if needed too after that. steve

bullett
08-10-2009, 01:32 PM
I'm not sure where that screw is. Is it the idler adjust screw? When I read that in the jetting thread I was completely lost. You wouldn't happen to have a pic would you? I was thinking it was the screw by the choke?

honda400ex2003
08-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Well it is not the big one for the idle but it in front of the carb underneath the balck part of the choke screw. I will see if i ccan find a pic of it. It is in the yellow and it is toward the front of the machine when it is installed. good luck, steve

katch26
08-10-2009, 03:19 PM
check all your connections too. Sometimes the plastic on these tubes will dryrot (same as the boot that holds the carb on) or it could be just hose clamps coming loose. I always check everything on the outside before going in......good life lesson :). You can always get it running and spray starter fluid around all the connections and if it surges up you have a leak somewhere,

honda400ex2003
08-10-2009, 03:56 PM
I would start at 3 turns and go in from there for a good guesstimate. i would say it should be around 2.25 or so with the 40 in depending. steve

bullett
08-10-2009, 04:06 PM
I'll give that a shot. Time to take the carb off again lol. Thanks for all the help.

honda400ex2003
08-10-2009, 04:09 PM
if you have a small screwdriver you can get at it a bit. flat head cause it is on the outside of the bowl. it is tough to turn but you may be able to get it turned inside the boot if you loosen the clamps up. no prob on the help. steve

honda400ex2003
08-10-2009, 04:12 PM
oh and turn it to the left side looking forward so the non exhaust side. lol, i have to make it sound ok in my mind lol. i hope it is alright for you too. so you can get to it easier with the screwdriver. steve