PDA

View Full Version : Attn: ProAm & National A Riders, how do you do it?

Jim417mx
08-06-2009, 05:35 PM
Ok guys, I just ran my 3rd national ever (redbud) and I just dont get how you guys deal with the track once it gets all torn up (potholes, giant breaking bumps, etc) I can run A class fine at my local track and podium, but I cant even last 2 laps at a national. I want to hear from you guys (instead of pro's for once like in "the factory" and such) How do you guys deal with that, how hard do you train, what kind of diet are YOU on? I want to get serious with racing next year, do I have to go to the gym alot, does any pro am riders on here smoke or drink? I just want to start off on the right path next year. We all have our bad habits of drinking energy drink and eating candy bars, did you guys put those things behind you also? How about sleeping habits, partying, etc?

FHKracingZ
08-06-2009, 06:28 PM
I would say the best thing you can do to better yourself as far as speed wise in rough stuff is confidence in your bike. You gotta get your suspension setup very well so that you know when you push your limits your suspension is there everybit of the way.

Another thing is having the bike "feel" good to you. One of the best things I did to my suzukis over the winter is switch to a lower profile quadtech seat I got from mike walsh that was built for cody. Me being a smaller guy ( 5'6 ) It helps me with the footpeg to seat height.

As far as training, I have a trainer I use 4 days a week in the off season. Working on upperbody strength and core muscle groups. During the season I run and find other endurance workouts to try and keep my stamina up.

Just Ride Ride Ride and Ride. Everytime your only the track remember your pushing it as hard as you can within your own limits.

hope this helps.

exrider12
08-07-2009, 09:40 AM
Get rid of the banshee!! Find a 450 race quad. It will be so much easier with a smooth powerband. I think you'd be surprised how much easier it is if you have a 450 4 stroke.

Jim417mx
08-07-2009, 04:47 PM
damn shows how long its been since I've edited that haha, I got rid of the banshee in 06, had a fully built 04 yfz, then parted that out and now have a lightly modded 07 suzuki, no suspension yet though, cant wait to see how big of a increase suspension is on the ltr, it helped me a lot on the yfz.

extremeblastr
08-07-2009, 05:17 PM
theres one of your biggest issues right there. suspension is a must have in the national a class which is on par with the average district/local series pro-am/pro classes. the national a class is no joke you need a fairly well built bike to run that class and be competitive. finish building your bike and then RIDE RIDE RIDE RIDE RIDE and after you do that ride some more and then you'll be ready to go as long as your keeping your bad eating/health habits under control.

m0t0xk1d
08-07-2009, 10:35 PM
suspension is a must your bike can only go as fast as it can handle and with out good suspension you could have a 500hp engine wouldnt even be worth it. but damn would that be fast:devil:

ZBlaster
08-07-2009, 11:22 PM
It's all about suspension. Makes all the difference in the world.