PDA

View Full Version : who thinks there jewels clank when they walk? cr500

Xowner
08-06-2009, 01:20 AM
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s100/HondaATC/500R%20Flat%20Tracker/P1010032-1.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJiU9ZHrzgg&feature=channel

anyone intrested in a frame post up your questions in here. these can be made where all you have to do is bolt your 500 engine in! pipes can also be made!!!!

:eek2: :huh

knobbyboy
08-06-2009, 06:34 AM
that ain't your jewels clanking, thems the pins in your leg.

1promodfan
08-06-2009, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by knobbyboy
that ain't your jewels clanking, thems the pins in your leg.

^^^^^^thats funny right there!!!.......ain't it the truth though.:D :muscle:

headache
08-06-2009, 10:48 AM
thats just a death wish right there!! Nice build btw

Xowner
08-06-2009, 11:40 AM
i cant take credit for this its my buddys!

run down that i know is

cr500
cr250 ingnition
cr500 custom modded pipe
hondaline flat track tank

i will see if i can get him over here!

he is a hell of a fab man!!!!

Black Sheep
08-06-2009, 12:05 PM
he is a hell of a fab man!!!!

Actually there is a design flaw with the way he did it. The lower frame rails are too low and it will bottom out before the suspension goes through it's full travel on anything other then a flat track.

This was a popular conversion in the 80's and I have yet to see any of the "new" breed of trikers do it right.

I wish I had pics from the ones we did back then or even a magazine scan that had pics of some.

I do have a old 86 250R frame laying around...hmmm...revisit the past...lol.

jarfly
08-06-2009, 01:47 PM
[magazine scan that had pics of some.

I do have a old 86 250R frame laying around...hmmm...revisit the past...lol. [/B][/QUOTE]

And the er.lol I rode my first 3 wheeler today..OMG.These are SCARY!! I WANT ONE!

Xowner
08-06-2009, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Black Sheep
Actually there is a design flaw with the way he did it. The lower frame rails are too low and it will bottom out before the suspension goes through it's full travel on anything other then a flat track.

This was a popular conversion in the 80's and I have yet to see any of the "new" breed of trikers do it right.

I wish I had pics from the ones we did back then or even a magazine scan that had pics of some.

I do have a old 86 250R frame laying around...hmmm...revisit the past...lol.

hahaha BILL! you and billy never did see eye to eye did you???

Black Sheep
08-06-2009, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Xowner
hahaha BILL! you and billy never did see eye to eye did you???

It's nothing personal. If you look at the lower rails they are much lower then the foot-pegs. Being as low as they are they will hit the ground before the suspension goes through full travel. That is not good....unless of course you just flat track it then there it would probably be OK.

They way it was done in the 80's is similar to they way Billy did it...I remember talking to him about it before...but he just went to low.

The cradle does need to be remade and the front down-tube needs to be modified as does the upper backbone support.

I have my differences with him (Billy) But i wish him well. It's refreshing to see young kids like him enthusiastic about trikes

HondaATC500X
08-07-2009, 07:22 AM
If anyone has any questions about them...you can get a hold of me and I will answer your questions. I will not start a pissing match on the forum that thinks we're competitors or something :rolleyes: . I will say that the following is incorrect:

There are NO backbone modifications.

There are no main down tube modifications other than those required to splice in the new cradle tube, and run front motor mounts.

The bottom rails are low because of the space required for the deeper engine, and to keep sprocket/swingarm pivot alignment heights correct. They are also low so that the bottom motor mounting tabs are more closer to vertical standing than horizontal. Horizontal standing tabs do not have near as much strength and rigidity as vertical ones.

And, the end result is you can change a plug without taking the gas tank off. You can do a top end in frame without pulling the motor. You can make carb adjustments just as easily as you did on the 250R. It fits.

Black Sheep
08-07-2009, 08:46 AM
. I will say that the following is incorrect:

There are NO backbone modifications.

There are no main down tube modifications other than those required to splice in the new cradle tube, and run front motor mounts.

And, the end result is you can change a plug without taking the gas tank off. You can do a top end in frame without pulling the motor. You can make carb adjustments just as easily as you did on the 250R. It fits. [/B]

Billy,

you misread what i said. I did not mean to imply you did the mods i mentioned. What i Was trying to say was that how it was done back then to prevent dropping the cradle as you have.

you are correct in assuming that the way it was done did create issue's with changing the plug. The gas tank had to be removed. But that was/is a small price to pay for the proper ground clearance for say...MX use.

again I'll reiterate...for flat track such as your use i'm sure it's fine, and probably better for a lower center of gravity.

HondaATC500X
08-07-2009, 09:09 AM
Fair enough. It seemed to me like you were telling everyone here that is what was done to my frames. I was clarifying it is not.

I will disagree that you can properly put the motor in without changing the cradle. Even if you notch everything up above including the main backbone, when you hang the motor on the swingarm bolt like it should be and rotate it up enough to fit inside the factory bottom frame rails, the centerline of the sprocket is going to be like an inch over the center line of the pivot bolt, which is going to absolutely wreck your suspension travel limits for motocross. You'll get like 4-5 inches of travel out of it before the chain starts eating itself into the swingarm pivot.

You can change the pivot point where the swingarm bolts on, but then your monekying with suspension geometry, considerably.

Black Sheep
08-07-2009, 10:58 AM
I will disagree that you can properly put the motor in without changing the cradle. [/B]

your absolutly correct. we did change the lower cradle.

I guess the best way to explain how we did it...save for me doing it again...look at how richard did his 500.

richard never replaced his cradle although he did remove the supports

basically we did a combination of what you did along with what richard did.

we rebuilt a cradle similar to what you did but, we also made changes in front and up top. It was i tight fit and we could not do the top end while still in frame.

but we were MX'in so we needed the ground clearence and the lower supports.

Xowner
08-07-2009, 01:08 PM
NO one go crazy when i ask this! but will the frame see dirt befor somthing is broken? i guess what im asking is if the inch or two lost cost you anything on a mx track? i could see if your woods riding with it but if your on the track jumping and the frame is hitting i think you wouldnt be jumping right. A your landing flat B your **** aint set up right?

Black Sheep
08-07-2009, 02:24 PM
i'm past crazy..i'm totally insane :blah:

seriously though good question.

A properly set up MX bike/trike/quad will use up all of it's travel on mx track. the right way to set it up is to get it to just about bottom on the largest obstacle on the track. an inch or two of suspension travel is a big deal...especially on a old ATC 250R which has around 10" of travel. remove two of those inches and now your in 350X travel range.

further more bikes/trikes/quads are set up from the factory that when they go through full travel the frame just skims the ground. Now if the frame is lowered and it hits before the suspension bottoms out that will be a VERY HARD landing and you will feel it in your ankles, knees, and probably hips. the last few inches of travel are in fact the "stiffest" part. the first few inches are for small bumps...the last few are for the big hit.

additionally by going to lower tires like most MX'rs do you losing another inch.

so now you have a trike with 10" of travel and only 7" of clearance.

Xowner
08-09-2009, 07:59 AM
i see

thanks guys