PDA

View Full Version : My opinion on the z400 vs 400ex

motox92
08-05-2009, 08:10 PM
My brother just bought a 03 Z400, and I had the 02 400ex, both of them had exhausts. I think the z is just about the same, if we were in the trails im pretty sure my 400ex would have spanked his z. Just giving an opinion.

wrekd
08-05-2009, 08:19 PM
You should be a writer for the magazines :D

motox92
08-05-2009, 08:21 PM
Lol I'm buying a 250f tomorrow see how we go

Snipe
08-05-2009, 09:39 PM
HAHAHA this has been beatin to death. Both good bikes man. Mostly it just comes to personal pref in what ya want. I personally wanted the honda as I didnt like the water cool radiator. Biggest factor in me buying lol. 2mph faster on the Z isnt much stock to stock. Be happy with what ya have could be worse and not have one at all.

KillerKoatings
08-05-2009, 10:51 PM
Thats funny my brother just bought a 04 DVX 400 and I have an 04 ex. My first impression was that his was way faster but after putting him on mine and me on his I could just keep up and he is a newer rider. The dvx definately had more low end but my impression was the ex had way more mid.

MtnEX
08-06-2009, 12:46 AM
There is not a whole lot of difference in them power-wise. A little but not much.

It's more about 'where' and 'how' the power is made actually... and the two different powers... HP and torque...

The 400EX delivers a lot of torque quick with it's long stroke and cam setup, and is a lower mid-range performer.

The 400 zuki engine makes power a little different with more revs.

It's all really in the piston stroke, heads, and gearing...

So in the end, there is a lot more room for difference in person-to-person PERCEPTION than actual performance.

Like to me, it is very hard to beat the 400EX power for slower trails.... because it's delivery is very good for lugging it out without stalling.

RATPACK Z400
08-06-2009, 09:42 PM
wow ! I just cant believe Ex owners STILL think there EXs are as fast as a Z boy thats a joke ! and 2miles faster HA HA( ex 65)( Z -73mine), stock for stock Ex gets crushed in every catagory better engine, liquid cooled,better handling,EFI,top speed,hps, mods improve performance better, rated the best all around trail quad by all quad mags , top saler yr after yr,must I go on, you guys just HATE THE Z cause its a better 400. You didn,t see ANY ex win a Championship the Z won two agains,t 450s/250r,s HA HA ,retired the 250r as well it was the first 4-stroke to win agains,t the mighty honda 250r !now i have started war world Three ! let the EX BS fly.

honda400ex2003
08-06-2009, 09:48 PM
I have beat the dvxs and such with mine when it was stock for stock. they are not that special as far as i am concerned. steve

Pipeless416
08-06-2009, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by RATPACK Z400
wow ! I just cant believe Ex owners STILL think there EXs are as fast as a Z boy thats a joke ! and 2miles faster HA HA( ex 65)( Z -73mine), stock for stock Ex gets crushed in every catagory better engine, liquid cooled,better handling,EFI,top speed,hps, mods improve performance better, rated the best all around trail quad by all quad mags , top saler yr after yr,must I go on, you guys just HATE THE Z cause its a better 400. You didn,t see ANY ex win a Championship the Z won two agains,t 450s/250r,s HA HA ,retired the 250r as well it was the first 4-stroke to win agains,t the mighty honda 250r !now i have started war world Three ! let the EX BS fly.

you again :rolleyes: :o i will still fight the "better handling" argument to the death. oh, and again, we have both the z and ex in our garage.

MtnEX
08-06-2009, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by RATPACK Z400

I assume you have the newest EFI version?

That's gotta be a very nice trail quad if they did a good job with the EFI. I figured that should make it about break even with the old one, since the new version is considerably heavier.

I would like to ride one of those sometime.

I'm an open minded guy and pay the Z400 it's due respects like I do the 400EX. We have those two to thank for what we have out there today. Without them (especially the Z400) I would not have my KFX 450R.

Snipe
08-07-2009, 06:09 AM
I have a EX well actually 2 but before I bought the 02 I almost bought a 03 Z.

I will clarify for ya on the some of that.

wow ! I just cant believe Ex owners STILL think there EXs are as fast as a Z boy thats a joke ! and 2miles faster HA HA( ex 65)( Z -73mine),
Horse **** prove it, and your comparing a modded bike to a stock ex HAHA what a joke.

stock for stock Ex gets crushed in every catagory better engine,
Whats so great about it?

liquid cooled,
Honestly if you road were I do I would have been laughing my *** off already after you pulled the limb out of your radiator. One major factor that I got the EX was the fact it didnt have a nappy lookin radiator to poke holes in.

better handling,
Tell me anyone that races that keeps stock suspension? So who cares when ya gonna upgrade anyway.

EFI,
Come back when your spaghetti wires start breaking and your bike falls apart.

top speed,hps,
Like states stock for stock there pretty damn close.

mods improve performance better,
all mods for all quads are pretty much Identical suck on that buddy HAHAHA

rated the best all around trail quad by all quad mags , top saler yr after yr,
I dont know cause I have a life and I would rather be riding than arqueing over a copy cat ex

must I go on, you guys just HATE THE Z cause its a better 400. You didn,t see ANY ex win a Championship the Z won two agains,t 450s/250r,s HA HA ,retired the 250r as well it was the first 4-stroke to win agains,t the mighty honda 250r !now i have started war world Three ! let the EX BS fly.
Im guessing it was cross country style racing or something. Yes please go on and next time just for ****s and giggles keep your mouth shut, no one likes lookin like a dumbass with egg on there face.

And what the hell is war world three?

pitkendall
08-07-2009, 10:10 AM
this is just my 2 cents but i own both and when i got the z400 all my buddys that rode it said it would smoke my ex but i thought the other way around theres no way a stock z would pull on a 416 with a pipe stage 1 cam and filter even though my ex is geared for hill climbs and sure enough (i know it aint fair stock to modded) but we ran em down about a hlaf mile road and the z was in 5th and i had the ex in 4th half throttle and could just go full throttle in 4th and leave the z and once i hit 5th forget it the ex was gone no matter who was on the ex or the z that was the outcome. i built my ex from a stock bike and can honestly say it would still walk off and leave the z woods or straight away. the biggest selling point for me or traden point (traded a banshee for the z) was the liquide cooled fact and reverse but i cant stand the way the z handles compared to my ex the steering feels tight like its hard to turn the handle bars and it kinda pushes in the corners were as the ex if u can keep the front wheels down can carve a corner like a knive through butter. i think the reason everyone thought the z was faster is becouse it does fell fast and tourqey but mine just has a slip on and a proflow kit on it. i will give the z this it is a wheely machine the ex will pull up with the blip of the throttle but doesnt feel as stable and balanced as the z and i cant keep the wheels up becouse it runs outta gear faster than the z

powermadd400ex
08-07-2009, 11:24 AM
ugh here we go again.

klutch
08-07-2009, 11:37 AM
Both are great bikes. The Z400 is quicker stock for stock (atleast it feels it) in my own opinion. I personally like the 400ex more. The Z400 is a bit taller and easier to flip.

Both bikes are too damn close to say anything either way. I have an 03 400ex, and the kid I always ride with has an 03 and an 05 Z400. My 400ex can beat his 03.

z400mayhem
08-08-2009, 06:40 AM
I am debating on a 400ex and ltz400, I am leaning towards the ltz400, but it really just depends on the best deal. Anyone know which one is easier on gas?

motox92
08-08-2009, 06:48 AM
If you have to worry about gas mileage you shouldn't be riding. My 400ex went all day of riding hard with a full tank

z400mayhem
08-08-2009, 07:25 AM
Okay, Well on my RM85, Im used to carrying a gas can with me cause always running out of gas.

UNBROKEN
08-08-2009, 08:00 AM
i had a 03 400ex with stage one cam slip on wiesco 10/1 and i liked my ex better then my buddies z400 , the ex handled better and was less tippsy and the ex made power down lower with the z400 the power would come a bit higher when u reved it out . both a alsome quads with there own perks no need to bash either

MtnEX
08-08-2009, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by 400exmayhem
I am debating on a 400ex and ltz400, I am leaning towards the ltz400, but it really just depends on the best deal. Anyone know which one is easier on gas?

I love my 400EX... but would steer you towards the LTZ400 if the money is comparable... especially if you plan to stay generally stock... and you are looking at the newest LTZ400. It has a lot of chassis improvements over the old ones... Should be bullet proof and also handle much better than before.

RATPACK Z400
08-08-2009, 07:37 PM
I knew I started it now ! but being real I have a 2003 just pipe/jet/airbox mod ,gusseted frame and i have never been beat by an ex 400/416/ and beat one 440 and have raced many at buttercup,mexico,Pa , MD only ex to have beat me was friends 502ex lots of people run Z with stock tires ,they are the biggest anchors ever and make it more tippy than stiff tires, change stock tires airfilter/pipe/jet /ex boot to carb mod you can get high 30,s 40 with cams/hi-com pistons you cant get those #s with a ex without bigbore theres so much more hps with that motor that the ex cant overcome or it would have along time ago now it wider and EFI ex has improved nothing cause no one cares it a trail quad .and honda never trys to improve nothing same ole boalonie sandwich yr after yr.The Z IS the top dog in the 400 class period ! and higher top speed thats a joke unless you changed gearing you not gonna get higher top speed cause you got motor work.All the mags hands down say the Z is the best 400 period and almost want to put it in the 450 catagory to judge cause there is no compitition in the 400 class. there basicly saying the EX sucks.

RATPACK Z400
08-08-2009, 07:51 PM
I dont mean to sound mean but have had both quads and have rode with group of Ex riders for yrs and they hated the fact that i could kill them in drags,with just airfilter you can feel hps added then pipe man the z loves that and you can feel the hps ,with the Ex you add pipe /airfilter alls it does is sound better you dont get that boost of hps the Z gets with same mods trust me had both and even friends with Ex ,s where saying same no real gain on ex with pipe /airfilter like the z.the tippy feeling is those cheap stock two ply BS tire get real tires and it wont tip and roll as easy.GET Z DUDE.

00.400ex#55
08-09-2009, 11:09 AM
What in the **** does it matter!

They are both slow, get over it and go ride your ****ing quads!

pitkendall
08-09-2009, 11:36 AM
not trying to start nothing but im not sure if i understand what u said ratpack but the way im takin it is u said the speed wont change no matter what kinda motor work you have until u change the gearing so your saying i could go 440 big bore kit stroker crank port work have 10 grand in a motor and still run the same top speed as a stock z400 or get beat by one that is geared different. in that case why do we all put all these thousands of dollars into the motors just go buy some different sprokets save thousands that way
dont get me wrong i love both my 400's the z and the ex but no way a stock or just piped z gonna outrun me and anyone that wants to come to kentucky and run me your more than welcome to try and change my mind but thats my opinion and opinions are like ***** holes everybody has one

MtnEX
08-09-2009, 03:56 PM
What ratpack was saying was....

The 400EX does not respond worth a flip to mods...

He's right too. It's like many others. Bolt-ons are worth a pony or two... not a gain worth the price tag.

Honda did a pretty good job of getting the most out of it, and there is not much left to extract.

On the other hand, spot-on jetting is good for a couple ponies on the Z400.

riles88g
08-10-2009, 10:27 AM
well idk what your running but i just put a k&n on and a full hmf pipe and a jet kit and i cant hardly keep the wheels down goin through the gears. now if you dont jet it, then yes your not going to get much out of it. i am asuming u didnt jet yours.

katch26
08-10-2009, 11:47 AM
theyre both good quads but IMO the z400 is a better buy. Say what you want but the z400 made more improvements and stayed relatively the same prime where the 400 is exactly the same and consistantly goes up. Its a good bike but for the money its not the best investment.

Tommy Warren
08-10-2009, 11:59 AM
JERRY! JERRY! JERRY! who cares?!?!?!:rolleyes:

Snipe
08-10-2009, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
JERRY! JERRY! JERRY! who cares?!?!?!:rolleyes:

Exactly I left this page it had a few posts and now its a 3 page response to a bunch of BS lol good god ppl ride what you love and love what you ride and dont ***** and the other guy just cause he dont agree with you.

pitkendall
08-10-2009, 01:52 PM
i agree fully that the z400 is the better quad with the liquid cooled and reverse ooh i love that part i was just saying that i have both and there was guys saying there piped z400 will smoke a built ex must be telling a bent truth or the guy on the built ex can ride shoot to tell ya the truth everytime i go for a ride i head straight for the z unless someone around here is talk crap then its time to put up or sut up and i bring the ex out but who cares lets go ride thats were im goin but i cant on the z cus the junky chain setup caused a smashed clutch lever and mangeled case saver have fun and be safe

John Noftsinger
08-10-2009, 02:47 PM
I know for the ex riders its hard to believe that a z piped can beat a built ex ,but i remember when the Raptor came out and no ex was beating it even with a built motor only one ive seen was 502ex beat raptor by very little, but there where plenty Z,s beating Raptor off the line and for a good distance winning,sure in the long run they would get passed but it took the raptor a long time to catch it, the ex got beat from start to finish by the Raptor , that tells me there something the z got that the ex does,t HP and plenty more. Not to hate the Ex just so tired of people hating on the best 400 ther is and trying to say BS storys of beating a Z stock on stock ex just go look at what the Z guys are getting in HP without bigbore kits you will be shocked at what the motors capable of putting out compared to the ex they had article in DW long time ago they put ex440 vrs Z440 and the z smashed it in performance go look that up .

J.J.
08-10-2009, 02:53 PM
i have both quads sitting in my garage.. both stock.. the suzuki will outrun it, but the ex is more comfortable.. i ride the ex and my dad rides the Z. i'd hop on either one any day of the week as i like them both

MtnEX
08-11-2009, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by John Noftsinger
that tells me there something the z got that the ex does,t HP and plenty more. Not to hate the Ex just so tired of people hating on the best 400 ther is and trying to say BS storys of beating a Z stock on stock ex

Yep... about 4-5 more HP... and probably 2 more on top of that with just better jetting.

More gain than the whole works gets you on an EX (full exhaust, filter, jetting).

My EX is modded... but I suffer no delusions about winning any drag races with it.

I make no bones about it... I went with the EX for a few reasons.

#1 - was the late model frame strength

#2 - was the lack a a radiator to kill

#3 - was lower feel

#4 - was a little cheaper

I was thinking for the same bones I would have a better feeling quad, with less to hurt, and around the same power plus more grunt with the mods.

I was wrong. :(

Well, except I would have speared about 3 radiators by now... lol...

I did want to put the money in the Z400 instead of the 400EX mods, because I would have gained reverse... and I think I might could have got the height down with some preload adjustments.

The old frames just scared me to death...
So I went the other way...
I was really afraid I would break it...

In hindsight, I would have been better off getting the cherry Z400 I found and going to the trouble of having the gusset kit done (which is not an issue on the EFI Z400).

I could have even still done mods and also aftermarket suspension and came out way cheaper............. (than I did)...

Because I ended up modding the EX, then giving up and buying a new KFX 450R.

John Noftsinger
08-11-2009, 08:00 PM
i dont think you would spear the radiator it pretty covered under the frame and has a guard but i also loved my Ex before it got stolen paid 5000 cash for it in 2001 and 5mos later stolen then had to wait for funds to get another then I was going to get canadale-moto but the money was high and then read about doug gust running the z motor in lonestar frame and that they were going in production so I got mine in may of 2002 for 5200 and the frame paint cracked by shock after 4yrs of hard riding spend 50 buck built my own gussets. I was a honda diehard but now am a suzuki diehard just love what suzuki stands for and does for it customers as new stuff added each yr not afraid to put out a full racequad that we all want the suzuki 450r the next quad for me unless theres something better for the price IMO.